A buddy showed me his new tuning app that graphs the pitch over time. My epi sg's low e starts sharp and then goes flat. That makes it hard to tune. Do you think this is an intonation issue or is it just the guitar? I've had this guitar apart many times and learned a lot from it. Ive noticed this problem in the past. I hit an open e and it goes sharp then the string vibrates and lowers in pitch in about 2 seconds. I used to solve this by tuning to f sharp and the guitar seemed to like that and stay in tune. Any ideas?
Intonation or old, dirty, worn out strings. String it with fresh wire, intonate, and test it again. You will be pleased.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'd put some graphite in the nut slot, restring & try again.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Based on my experience with similar issues I think Ignite is on the money. Your choices to fix it are a heavier low E, a lighter pick or a lighter touch. Or, as you've noted, a higher tension.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
You might be plucking the strings too hard.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Due to the slightly elastic nature of guitar strings this kinda happens to a small extent and a very precise tuner might pick it up, but it shouldn't be causing a noticeable change in pitch. If it's sounding noticeably out of tune, you're plucking too hard for the gauge of strings you're using, and you can correct it by either playing with a lighter pick attack or using heavier strings - whichever works for you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Happened to me once with my G400 PRO, I always thought it was because I didn't wind the string enough when I restrung it. Changed the strings and the problem was solved...
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Thank you very much. I do like to pick very hard. I will try some graphite and maybe change back to ernie ball 10s. I'm using d'addario hybrids. 11s are pretty hard on the guitar...and the player. I've never liked tuners so maybe i will go set up the intonation by ear. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Quote by geo-rage
Thank you very much. I do like to pick very hard. I will try some graphite and maybe change back to ernie ball 10s. I'm using d'addario hybrids. 11s are pretty hard on the guitar...and the player. I've never liked tuners so maybe i will go set up the intonation by ear. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Picking too hard is a bad habit. The amplifier is going to be doing all the amplifying for you, so you don't need to strum very hard. It's just a waste of energy, ruins intonation and aggravates fret buzz.

Using a tuner is an absolute must. Make it a habit to always use one, especially when adjusting intonation. You'll never be as accurate as a tuner if you tune by ear.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No i like to palm mute and pick hard for really deep chugs. Not while tuning of course. Idk tuners never seem to work for me, but the new clip-on ones seem to work ok. I've always tuned by ear. I learned with a pitch-pipe.
Quote by geo-rage
No i like to palm mute and pick hard for really deep chugs. Not while tuning of course. Idk tuners never seem to work for me, but the new clip-on ones seem to work ok. I've always tuned by ear. I learned with a pitch-pipe.

Okay but just know that by doing that you're strumming the guitar out of tune so if you still have that problem, you know what you'll need to do.

Tuners will always work for you if you use them properly. Electronic chromatic tuners are going more accurate than clip-on tuners as well as your own ears so getting one is never a bad idea..
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
geo-rage

Sounds good. if it is just the one string that goes flat & then sharp, it could be a jagged nut slot. I had this problem before & I cleaned out the slots with a razorblade before adding the graphite. Hell, I didn't even have graphite so I used pencil led instead. Works great now, no problems staying in tune.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
It's definitely a strange problem. A lot of you are saying it could be the nut which makes sense and of course my picking attack, which is probably not as radical as im boasting it to be. To me it seems like the string tension has something to do with it. Like the string length is way off somehow. It cant be off any more than the adjuster on the tun-o-matic bridge unless the guitar was made wrong. Now im wondering if it could be the way i wind the strings around the tuner. I always wind the string around the peg 3 or more times then go through the hole. The ug stringing technique is way different. Once everything tightens up and gets seated it seems fine but idk. I will just try everything you guys suggest including a kinder gentler machine-gun hand and if that doesnt make it better i will start suspecting the actual strings.
Filed the nut and graphited it...very small improvement, intonated it...very small improvement, lowered the tailpiece to get more tension...small improvement. No fix yet though. Guess i'll try new strings.
how did you wind it around the peg? (a pic could help)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/