Hey guys, first thing I know I have been here a while so sorry if this is in the wrong place, this was the only subforum I figured was appropriate.

I am looking for some general advice on releasing material online and getting the biggest possible coverage.

The material isn’t 100% release ready yet, but for the sake of this post let’s assume it is high quality, professionally produced, full artwork etc.

The album is all fully original music that has been in production for about 2 years. It has taken a huge amount of time and effort doing all of this myself, and it is close to being ready to be released.

There are two goals here. One is for the material to be able to be listened to and enjoyed alongside other commercially released music. Two is for the material to be used as a demonstration of my skills in production, primarily mixing and editing. I would like to get more some freelance work as a result of this project.

So, assuming the product is of a high enough standard for this to be possible, how would you guys go about actually releasing something like this online?

My plan for now is to do the following:

Upload guitar/bass playthroughs each week for each track on Youtube. I am looking for ideas as to how to make these videos entertaining and engaging as opposed to just one static shot of me playing the song.
Release each song incrementally alongside each playthrough via Youtube and Soundcloud.
Share these videos each week as I upload them on my personal Facebook page, my Facebook guitarist page, the three main forums I use, and Instagram.
At the end of this, post the entire album as a free download on Bandcamp for the actual release. Share this in all of the above places.

Any other ideas? Anything I should avoid doing? The reason for this is I have put such a huge amount of effort into this project really want to avoid just linking it on Facebook one day and that being the end of it.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 2, 2016,
Maybe building some kind of fanbase first? Like playing local shows, even if it is just you with the backing track.
Statistically speaking, look at the competition, how many playthroughs and similar things you'll see online. Regardless of what you do, you'll be in a large sea of similar media with very little interest, so you'll have to bring in the people somehow.
One way to do it is really professional quality videos and amazing playing, and most likely not original material but covers.
Warning: This post contains opinion from the old school.

Any idiot can "release" an album simply by making it available on the internet. The truth is, you haven't released an album, you've only put something on the internet.

Until you've got a deal with a record company who can get your album into the shops, you haven't released an album.

IMO, the best thing you could do is get a band together and start gigging the music you've created. If people like it, they'll want to buy it. Get some CDs printed and sell them at your gigs (I assume there's an iTunes equivalent of doing this?).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 7, 2016,
Cheers for the replies guys.

Thing is, performing this material live isn't really an option. Much as I would love to get a band together and do it for real, I don't see that happening in the near future. Performing the material solo I can't see working either because it isn't like a solo guitar album or anything. For it to work live it would need to be performed by a band.
If you would love to form a band & play your stuff, why isn't it an option? (Obviously tell me where to get off if there are serious personal issues). If this is your life's goal, you should be able to find a way to make it work.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I don't see it as an option really because I would need to find a drummer, second guitarist, bassist and vocalist who are all capable of playing the material. They would also need to like the material to the point where they would be willing to learn and perform it. Plus I would need to balance practicing and gigging around my part-time job which isn't exactly ideal working hours.

Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love to do exactly that, but the reason I have worked on music on my own for the past 4 years or so is because getting good enough musicians in the same place and playing together is extremely difficult.
You can't tour it, and my solo stuff is pretty much like what you describe. I released a few online songs for sale and they did just well enough to break even. No matter what you do on the internet, you're
1) unknown name
2) unknown commodity
3) most likely guitar geek genre that doesn't sell

There are still local shops in Houston that will take a CD on consigment, my band sold a few off that, especially after gigs people might buy it. These are dwindling and just disappearing but there are I think 2-3 still left. I go visit and support every time I can which is not as often as I'd want.

There are also publicists that are paid to pimp your stuff. There are a few I know who do a good job and generate reviews and internet buzz. How much that is worth, I am not sure, but you'll get more noticed.

Best sales I've done were after gigs, especially when we had the wifes and various female friends in skimpy outfits to walk around the crowd selling CDs while we were playing. Call me sexist or chauvinist or whatever, but I cannot stress enough the power of a hot chick at a rock show.

With that in mind, you should find some hot chicks and an indie filmmaker and cut at least one video. Getting local tequila shot girls shouldn't be too hard as they usually freelance model or try the local Hooters. Women will do anything for an art project. I had a friend that did nudes for years when he studied photography, he'd just walk up to chicks and tell them that he needs shots for his art class and you'd be amazed what women will do for art, as long as you're professional, courteous and talented. Local filmmaker shouldn't cost much either. See if your area has an art or media college. We have several in Houston, TX.
Quote by Random3
I don't see it as an option really because I would need to find a drummer, second guitarist, bassist and vocalist who are all capable of playing the material. They would also need to like the material to the point where they would be willing to learn and perform it. Plus I would need to balance practicing and gigging around my part-time job which isn't exactly ideal working hours.

Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love to do exactly that, but the reason I have worked on music on my own for the past 4 years or so is because getting good enough musicians in the same place and playing together is extremely difficult.

The rest of us balance practicing and gigging around a full time job. That is not an excuse.

Yes, I will admit finding people you get on with and want to play with can be hard, but it is definitely worth the effort. Its also worth noting that musical projects are almost always improved by having input from multiple people, they WILL come up with ideas you hadn't thought of. Some you'll like, some you won't, but for example having a real drummer create the drum parts will always be better than having a guitarist try to think like a drummer in their creation. It's a different mindset, and one which only a real drummer would have. As the saying goes, two heads are better than one. Imagine how much better four or five could be.

And f*** quitting on finding a band because it's too difficult. If it was easy everyone would do it and become millionaires. IMO if you aren't prepared to work for your goals, you don't deserve to achieve them.

Like I said in my last post, if there are genuine reasons why you can't do this I can understand you wanting an alternative. So far you haven't given a genuine reason other than not wanting to work at it. That may seem a bit harsh, but for everyone who wants the easy way out there are hundreds of people working their asses off trying to make things happen.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 8, 2016,
Hey dude, I'd definitely recommend emailing a lot of music blogs and get reviews.
Your order of release is pretty solid but don't expect a huge response from the jump.
Look into what your core demographic would be and make sure you gear your youtube/ads towards those people.

I'm going to warn you though.....your Youtube videos have to be top notch quality so that's going to be a hearty investment along with sponsoring your videos
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by GaryBillington
*post*

Fair points, I agree with basically all of this.

I guess I hadn't properly considered making it a live project because the whole thing started as an entirely solo project. Until reading this thread I hadn't viewed it as an option.

I am going to try and find some people in my area and see if I can get something going. My guess is finding a drummer and a vocalist will be the hardest parts...

So if I am able to get a band together to perform this material, would it make sense to hold off on releasing the material until a name is known? One alternative option would be for me to do the whole online release thing under my own name to build momentum and potentially attract other musicians to get a band going? Thoughts?
Drummers are always hardest in my experience, then (willing) bassists, then singers. You have to fight guitarists off with a stick!

Personally, I'd wait until you have a band before releasing anything. That way the full band has input and you're able to gig immediately after (and prior to) release, which will be the main source of promotion - remember what Diabolical said about having girls sell the CDs at gigs?. Also, if it was me looking to join up, I'd be more enthusiastic if I knew I wasn't just going to be copying something that was already recorded, I'd want to be part of the whole thing from start to finish.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 8, 2016,
Yeah after a brief search yesterday I am starting to think I should take up drumming if I want to be in a band!

I agree about the band input, only thing is the album is fully recorded and 90% mixed at this point. I would be open to re-writes and potential re-recordings if I find the right people.
When you say album, did you get Greg Fidelman to track it and Andy Sneap to mix it or is it more of a bedroom affair?

Reason I am asking is cause you might think it is ready and it might not be so. Maybe a preview song will give us a better idea?
Entirely self produced and entirely in my bedroom. The amount of time and effort spent on each aspect is what I am hoping will allow it to be more than just a bedroom project.

Here's two song examples. The mix is virtually complete for now although the vocals are a work in progress. I will be remixing it once I have finished treating my room:

I'll post them now using my phone because I can't access Dropbox on a work computer!
Not bad...a little too much open low string for my taste but the production sounds good. Who knows...go for it!

Another thing forgot to mention - look into placement in movies, etc. That track sounds edgy enough, it might get taken for a scene background somewhere.
Try contacting movie producers, indie guys just starting in college need a lot of music, it might end up a good placement for you.