Hey guys! I'm pretty torn as to what amp I want to buy, so I'm coming here for suggestions. What's an amp that will allow me to play Tool, Metallica, Animals As Leaders, and Stevie Ray Vaughn? I just really want a diverse tone and amp that's not gonna sound like crap. It doesn't matter to me if it's a half-stack or a combo. I also don't have all the money in the world to spend, so please stay to the non-expensive side of amps. Thanks.
Any Marshall with a boost pedal.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
what's your definition of "non-expensive"? And what currency?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would recommend something from Blackstar's ID TVP range. They have a selector switch which allows you to choose from 5 different valve models.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your definition of "non-expensive"? And what currency?
Need this info. If you are on the really cheap end of things, a modeling amp would be your best bet. If you have a bit more $ to spend, what 8Len8 suggested (plus a few pedals) will get you those tones.
Will Lane Non expenisve means anywhere from 500 down. I'm preferring a tube amp, so that's why is put non-expensive. Im in America, so it should be self explanatory that I use dollars.
Plenty of used options at that price point. I use a Valve junior with a modeler and a few pedals and it gets me anywhere I want to go. If wattage isn't an issue there are a lot of low watt heads to be had for around $100. Hold some money back for a cab and tube change.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Dec 3, 2016,
For $500 look for a used Peavey JSX head or a Carvin V3 (or V3M).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^ haven't tried the carvin but the peavey should work, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by crownegamers
What's an amp that will allow me to play Tool, Metallica, Animals As Leaders, and Stevie Ray Vaughn? I just really want a diverse tone and amp that's not gonna sound like crap. It doesn't matter to me if it's a half-stack or a combo. I also don't have all the money in the world to spend, so please stay to the non-expensive side of amps. Thanks.

You're going to want to be looking at used amps if you really want tubes and any measure of versatility. Most tube amps virtually demand pedals to produce a lot of the sounds you'll want, so you need to add several hundred to your budget in order to cover your bases.

At this point, the answer to your main question is probably to get a modeler of some kind and then tailor your output to your needs.

If you're playing at home with headphones, you need just the modeler (and most have enough FX built in to get you where you want to go in that regard). If you need some small-room-filling sound, a small powered monitor setup on speaker stands is the obvious choice. If you want to play out, then there are a variety of powered speakers (including some with tube power amps built in) that will work, and if you need to go even bigger, there are lightweight power amps and some serious PA-style speaker cabinets that will handle anything you need.
Randall RM100
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100