Page 1 of 2
What is your GO TO for chorus. I was using a Boss super chorus CH-1 for awhile but upgraded to a EHX Small clone(Upgrade for me lol...maybe downgrade to others). I love it, the boss was great but I think i prefer the small clone over it. I'm curious what you guys use.
Here's a little demo of the small clone settings over clean and distorted amp.

TC Electronic Corona Chorus, and Gravy tri-chorus shaker.. Boss CE5 all are good pedals
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I currently own a:

Catalinbread Callisto
Line 6 ToneCore Space Chrous
EHX Epitome (A 3 in 1 pedal that contains their Stere Electric Mistriss)
Visual Sound H2O V2
TrueTone H2O V3

All are pretty cool.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've only owned one chorus pedal, an MXR Analog Chorus, but I've yet to find one that outshines it on either sound or features for less than £100.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Retro-sonic.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I currently own a:

Catalinbread Callisto
Line 6 ToneCore Space Chrous
EHX Epitome (A 3 in 1 pedal that contains their Stere Electric Mistriss)
Visual Sound H2O V2
TrueTone H2O V3

All are pretty cool.

I have the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus which is the Chorus half of the H2O.
Best Chorus pedal I have ever owned.
It stays on my board.
MXR Analog Chorus.

Not leaving my pedalboard any time soon.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Nice I'm going check out all those or watch some demos. I've been on a huge chorus kick lately and seem to always be playing with chorus on. So where do you guys usually have yours in the chain? I was running mine before overdrive/distortion pedal and noticed it sounds kinda muddy or dirty sounding so now I'm running it last on my board. I might have to try running it in fx loop
Rookd
I keep my chorus after my distortions (my amp's a Fender Twin so effectively that's the same as having it in the loop), as one of the things I use it for is Leslie speaker-type effects which makes sense to me to have late in the chain. Using it with drive pedals is somewhere I find the MXR's EQ controls really come in handy. Generally, though, with anything higher-gain I prefer to use my phaser as I find it to be much friendlier with clipping.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by CodeMonk
I have the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus which is the Chorus half of the H2O.
Best Chorus pedal I have ever owned.
It stays on my board.

I have this also (V2) great pedal. Thinking about getting the version 3.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Here's the V3 and Callisto.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

On my radar- the Earthquaker Devices Sea Machine V2:

Correction: I bought one a couple months ago, and haven't had a chance to really test it. Tucked it away on a bookshelf and forgot about it.

Small Clone is also my go-to chorus. Only chorus pedal I've ever owned - if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've never really had the desire to go out and buy something with a bit more flexibility because the Small Clone already gives me exactly what I want.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I use the chorus in a TC Electronic G-Major2 in the loop and an MXR Analog Chorus for pre-overdrive stuff.

Why, you may ask...

Well, if I'm looking to use the chorus for what it was originally intended to do (i.e. give the illusion of two guitars playing at the same time to thicken the sound, which requires a lot of subtlety [think Randy Rhoads on the "new" live album]) I use the pedal pre-overdrive. If I'm looking for an effect that is obviously and blatantly a chorus effect, I use the loop (mainly for, but not limited to, clean tones).

P.S. If I could get my hands on an original TC Electronic SCF (the one with the purple graphics) I would probably ditch the MXR.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 5, 2016,
Another vote for the MXR analog chorus. If I didn't grab a Dreamscape it's probably what I would've replaced my Corona with.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I use a mid 80s DOD FX65. bought new when they first came out and have yet to find a pedal that I like better. can't say I use it much these days but still haven't gotten the urge to replace it.
I use the small clone as well. its done me well, but I don't use a ton of chorus so its never been a big factor for me.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, a few pedals.
Red Witch Empress. 'Nuff said.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm not into chorus, but the one in the Strymon Mobius is fantastic. I'd imagine the Strymon Ola delivers a lot of that chorus if not all of it in the smaller size and cheaper enclosure. However, I'd always save up more and shell out the extra and get the Mobius. Aside from the awesome chorus, it has a plethora of other effects that are all stellar.
I like you use the Small Clone. I pretty much use it to get that mild "edgy" background effect that gives a little more body to the sound but does not really show itself as a chorus much, or as sort of a light watery thing like a light-duty version of Andy Summer's "Electric mistress" pedal sound. On rare occasions I crank it up and use it for the Nirvana thing it seems most people buy it for, I'm not a big fan of that whole vibrato "Come as you Are" thing though - ironically, I use the second setting I mentioned for that song (as well as a Digitech Whammy WH-4 on 5ths). Small Clone is my favorite chorus, to think I found out it was the right pedal for me on accident by trying one out after buying a Stereo PolyChorus years ago.

In my home studio I use a Stereo Chorus that sounds much the same as the Small Clone does on my board, just in stereo. That was the benchmark I compared my chorus sound to and wanted to get, only the Small Clone was a darn-near perfect match. Prior to that I used a Stereo PolyChorus, and before that, a Starcaster Chorus which was the most anemic thing ever.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Dec 6, 2016,
i like the cmatmods chorus i have. it is BBD, sounds great, and it seems that the controls have a much larger range than most other chorus pedals i have tried.

i like my malekko a lot too. its a little darker than the cmatmods, still BBD.

i also have a VS H20 (V1) which is again BBD, but i like the others better, despite the third control.

i have had (at different times) two '80's MXR stereo choruses (three knobbers). i remember liking them at the time, but for the price they fetch now, they are not worth it. there are so many better options.

i must say i would love a Empress chorus, but i don't need another. and its a lot of money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Mine is kind of an odd choice perhaps. My favourite chorus for quite a while's been an old Ibanez SC10. I've owned or tried Boss, MXR, EH, Line 6, DOD and others and this one just works for me. It's got this weird slight signal boost thing like the CE-1 does, which I like a lot, and the three pots give me more room for experiment than I would ever need. Especially the delay time control.
Quote by tsc86
Mine is kind of an odd choice perhaps. My favourite chorus for quite a while's been an old Ibanez SC10. I've owned or tried Boss, MXR, EH, Line 6, DOD and others and this one just works for me. It's got this weird slight signal boost thing like the CE-1 does, which I like a lot, and the three pots give me more room for experiment than I would ever need. Especially the delay time control.

that is a pretty cool feature, and that is one thing i like about my VS H20.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use an old BOSS CE-2. It's one of my favorite pedals that I own.

For the prices they seem to be going for these days though (at least going off of Reverb listings), I have a feeling I'd go with something else if I were in the market for a new Chorus.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
That is...yellow.

Quote by Vantage
This bad boy is my ultimate chorus pedal:

I agree. This is the best chorus pedal I have ever played. To me it sounds warmer than the tc scf. I have the EHX and the chorus sounds good but I hate the clicking noise from the switch. I also have a tc corona chorus. It is a great pedal as it has a lot of controls.

I never liked the mxr analog chorus, I prefer the micro Chorus!
I have been through many hours pedals and now I have the Boss Wazacraft CE-2W Chorus. This pedal is by far the overall best one I've ever used.
I also have the tc electronics Corona Chorus+ special anniversary Black edition and it doesn't compare. When I got the Corona+ I was pretty happy with it other then the fact the Chorus effects where more subtle then I was use to. I had to crank the level all the way up to get some of what I was use to with other Chorus pedals I've owned. The sound quality of the tc corona + is very nice warm and nicely inviting but it's not lush rich and full. Some think this pedal is the one, for me I like a more pronounced Chorus effect.
For Distortion stuff the Corona+ is very nice as it adds a nice stereo dimension to your overall tone. Used in the effects loop after the Drive channel or any Dirt pedals you use, it shines as it should.
But for me the Wazacraft Chorus just is more lush rich full and so warm and sweet. I really like the CE-1 mode which is very lush. It's what I want chorus to do and being an 80's guitar player, it fits my bill perfectly.

One thing that really stands out with the Boss Wazacraft pedal vs the tc electronics Chorus is the buffer circuit. There is no comparison here. So when I remove the tc Corona off my board and put the Boss in, all my high's and clarity is restored. When I remove the Boss and put the Corona back in, my sound darkens up , I lose high end clarity and everything sounds more muffled. On the back of the Corona is a Buffer/ True bypass switch you can use if you want to add a buffer or be in true bypass when the effect is off. I switched the Buffer on to be fair as the Boss is just on all the time. With both pedals effect off the Boss clearly has a better buffer circuit.
If you remove both pedals, listen to your tone, then swap them in and out, you clearly hear how good the Waza buffer is vs the TC's. Honestly I was pretty sad when I learned this as I really LOVE the tone prints and the ultimate flexibility of the Corona Chorus+. This is the only thing I feel is better about it over the Wazacraft. But in the end I like tone over flexibility and there is much to be said about simple ease of use. The Boss has only 2 knobs , no tone and no effects level. I feel this is a good thing as I can get the sound I want out of it in seconds vs the tc I have to adjust the tone to my liking and also the amount of chorus I want. I end up setting the tone to flat and the level to max and thats where it stays.
I'm gonna sell the Corona Chorus+ to someone who needs or wants all this flexibility , doesn't need it for it's buffer circuit and likes a more subtle chorus. That person would love the hell out of this pedal.
The Quest for Tone.
i like the small clone too (well, the neo clone which is more or less the same thing in a smaller box i think)

i like the tonerider one- i think it's a ce-2 style chorus

i haven't tried that mxr one though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mantis101
I have been through many hours pedals and now I have the Boss Wazacraft CE-2W Chorus. This pedal is by far the overall best one I've ever used.
I also have the tc electronics Corona Chorus+ special anniversary Black edition and it doesn't compare. When I got the Corona+ I was pretty happy with it other then the fact the Chorus effects where more subtle then I was use to. I had to crank the level all the way up to get some of what I was use to with other Chorus pedals I've owned. The sound quality of the tc corona + is very nice warm and nicely inviting but it's not lush rich and full. Some think this pedal is the one, for me I like a more pronounced Chorus effect.
For Distortion stuff the Corona+ is very nice as it adds a nice stereo dimension to your overall tone. Used in the effects loop after the Drive channel or any Dirt pedals you use, it shines as it should.
But for me the Wazacraft Chorus just is more lush rich full and so warm and sweet. I really like the CE-1 mode which is very lush. It's what I want chorus to do and being an 80's guitar player, it fits my bill perfectly.

One thing that really stands out with the Boss Wazacraft pedal vs the tc electronics Chorus is the buffer circuit. There is no comparison here. So when I remove the tc Corona off my board and put the Boss in, all my high's and clarity is restored. When I remove the Boss and put the Corona back in, my sound darkens up , I lose high end clarity and everything sounds more muffled. On the back of the Corona is a Buffer/ True bypass switch you can use if you want to add a buffer or be in true bypass when the effect is off. I switched the Buffer on to be fair as the Boss is just on all the time. With both pedals effect off the Boss clearly has a better buffer circuit.
If you remove both pedals, listen to your tone, then swap them in and out, you clearly hear how good the Waza buffer is vs the TC's. Honestly I was pretty sad when I learned this as I really LOVE the tone prints and the ultimate flexibility of the Corona Chorus+. This is the only thing I feel is better about it over the Wazacraft. But in the end I like tone over flexibility and there is much to be said about simple ease of use. The Boss has only 2 knobs , no tone and no effects level. I feel this is a good thing as I can get the sound I want out of it in seconds vs the tc I have to adjust the tone to my liking and also the amount of chorus I want. I end up setting the tone to flat and the level to max and thats where it stays.
I'm gonna sell the Corona Chorus+ to someone who needs or wants all this flexibility , doesn't need it for it's buffer circuit and likes a more subtle chorus. That person would love the hell out of this pedal.

I have not had the pleasure of playing a DM-2w. How does it perform in stereo and how does it compare to the MXR M134 stereo chorus?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i like the small clone too (well, the neo clone which is more or less the same thing in a smaller box i think)

i like the tonerider one- i think it's a ce-2 style chorus

i haven't tried that mxr one though

I tried the big box and the neo clone side by side. I could hear the difference and both sales reps. could hear the difference. To me the neo sounded more flanger-like. I got the big box as it sounded more like 80s chorus. Both reps. liked that one too. Now I am having second thoughts about it as the neo could have been a very cool effect pedal. I really like EHX modulation pedals, but MXR Choruses are my favourite the M134 and M148
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Jan 3, 2017,
I know not all will agree here, but I use the TC Dreamscape. I don't use chorus a great deal but it does a great job for what I need, and also has Flange, Trem and the Tone Print settings, so can have multiple uses on my board.

If you have the money and pedalboard space then the Stymon Mobius is amazing too
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
mantis101
Interesting, I think the Boss Waza Craft pedals were regarded with a bit of suspicion (at least by me) because a usually budget company venturing into fairly high-end stuff isn't always a good idea, but it certainly looked really cool. For a while I was super interested in the vibrato; it just never quite happened.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I really like my Tone City Angel Wing. Cheaper pedal but it sounds great in my opinion.
Quote by Gab_Azz
I tried the big box and the neo clone side by side. I could hear the difference and both sales reps. could hear the difference. To me the neo sounded more flanger-like. I got the big box as it sounded more like 80s chorus. Both reps. liked that one too. Now I am having second thoughts about it as the neo could have been a very cool effect pedal. I really like EHX modulation pedals, but MXR Choruses are my favourite the M134 and M148

Yeah I've never tried the two head to head, but I remember before I bought mine checking out some Youtube vids and the big box version did sound that little bit sweeter I thought. But there was no way I could fit that on my board

Quote by Dinglebuttz
I really like my Tone City Angel Wing. Cheaper pedal but it sounds great in my opinion.

I'm guessing it's a CE2-style chorus?
Quote by diabolical

Very transparent and musical/lush chorus. Sadly only mono and now looks like it is discontinued.

Yeah I think it's been discontinued for ages, unfortunately. I remember thinking it sounded excellent when I tried one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2017,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I've never tried the two head to head, but I remember before I bought mine checking out some Youtube vids and the big box version did sound that little bit sweeter I thought. But there was no way I could fit that on my board .

I think that I should have got the neo clone. I think the flanger-like sound makes it quite interesting. But I decided that after I left the shop. Went home found that my pedal was damaged. Went back and replaced it. Then Decided I would have liked the other one more. lol
On the Voodoolab they said it uses Panasonic chip, copy of the 1976 CE-1 which I guess is Boss/Roland...I have no idea about the innards but I bought a few of their other units and decided to take a chance on this one and it was "WOW"

http://www.voodoolab.com/chorus.htm

CE-2W is out now, Waza Boss chorus, maybe it is worth checking out but considering the price $200 it is a bit much IMO.
^ yeah i think it was supposed to be a ce1 clone. and yeah the new waza one looks very interesting, at least if it weren't for the price. i like that they're starting to reissue sought-after stuff, and I don't expect it to be the price of the DS1, but at the same time I think they're pushing it a little bit too with the pricing. I mean, back in the day these pedals were standard range pedals.

Quote by Gab_Azz
I think that I should have got the neo clone. I think the flanger-like sound makes it quite interesting. But I decided that after I left the shop. Went home found that my pedal was damaged. Went back and replaced it. Then Decided I would have liked the other one more. lol

haha yeah i'm indecisive as well. as i said, i was just lucky enough that i needed (or at least wanted) it to be small so that made the decision a lot easier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2017,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah i think it was supposed to be a ce1 clone. and yeah the new waza one looks very interesting, at least if it weren't for the price. i like that they're starting to reissue sought-after stuff, and I don't expect it to be the price of the DS1, but at the same time I think they're pushing it a little bit too with the pricing. I mean, back in the day these pedals were standard range pedals.

haha yeah i'm indecisive as well. as i said, i was just lucky enough that i needed (or at least wanted) it to be small so that made the decision a lot easier.

Does Your pedal make a cracking noise from the amp each time you switch it on? Mine does it and seems that the big box model all do it. My nano phaser does not do the noise, so, could they have addressed the issue when they revised the circuit to make it fit the nano enclosure?
Page 1 of 2