In a weird place guys, my teacher is so good at teaching music theory and technique that I feel like only after a year of lessons anything I want to play is within my reach as a guitarist. I'm just kinda lazy sometimes, not doing my chops work, not training my ears, not studying my theory as diligently as I could be.

I feel like I'm at a point where I legitimately know more about music theory than any of my friends but they are unable to keep up with me, so I'm not really learning anything from them. I'm not saying I'm a better guitar player than anyone because I'm not, but it's hard to explain I guess.

I guess like lifting weights kinda, I've hit a plateau in my guitar playing. I'm too lazy to apply myself to learning songs, creating content in my playing, or even doing routine chops work. I love playing the instrument but I find it hard to make productive use of my time, I hate hearing myself play cause it doesn't sound as good as I want it too.

My sense of pitch is actually pretty damn good (no brag) but I don't use it. How do I get into a habit of being more productive? I guess is what I'm asking.

I have the tools, but I need to define goals to reach.
Learn new styles of playing and apply them to your original work. For Example spanish flaminco, chicken pickin', or gypsy. It'll expand your musical ideas. If that doesnt work,Start recording and building original material. That'll really show you your strengths and weaknesses. Make a solo album and material people can hear. Might even land you a sweet spot in an already touring band. What helped me break thru that rut was improv jamming to metal drum tracks on youtube. Had a lot of fun and got some awesome material from just doing what i felt in that moment. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by anthonymarisc
I'm too lazy to apply myself to learning songs, creating content in my playing, or even doing routine chops work.
There you go, you know the answer. Stop being lazy!

I'd recommend the first of those three, strongly. It may be that a sense of inadequacy underlies your "laziness" - you can't face trying because it seems too difficult. So, pick something simple (as little distortion as possible), and use a slowdowner. Obviously pick a song you like, otherwise you'll get bored too quickly. You can just do it entirely by ear and playing along (slowly, bit by bit), or you can tab it out as you go, write down each chord as you find it. (It may look like a mountain to climb, but you can put one foot in front of the other...)

This is, of course, great ear training, but better than any ear training exercise, because you're actually learning a piece of music. It will also help you when composing or improvising, because you will get a much better sense of how music is put together, how melodies, riffs and basslines go with chords, how chords change, how they fit keys, etc.

Learning songs, listening and copying, is the best exercise of all - beats all the others, even the technical/chops ones.
Last edited by jongtr at Dec 3, 2016,
You said it yourself: you need to define goals to reach. The reason you don't want to learn songs or do chop work is because that stuff isn't interesting to you. If it were interesting, you would be doing it.

What kind of guitarist do you want to be? Are you at the limit of you skill? You probably aren't. So, just pick one specific thing you want to be better at and just start doing it.

I know exactly how you feel when you say you feel better than everyone around you. I feel the same way, but I can't let that stunt my growth. There's plenty of players that you can learn from on YouTube or even by just listening to your heroes. What can they do that you can't?
Artist: Mad Orca
Album: Plan of Attack
Available on: iTunes, Google Play, Bandcamp, Amazon mp3, Tidal, Spotify
Quote by anthonymarisc

I feel like I'm at a point where I legitimately know more about music theory than any of my friends but they are unable to keep up with me, so I'm not really learning anything from them. I'm not saying I'm a better guitar player than anyone because I'm not, but it's hard to explain I guess.

The only musician you should be competing with is you. Just because you can smoke all your friends doesn't mean you can't get better.

Sit down, listen to players that inspire you, and figure out your goals and what YOU want to sound like and then work on it.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by anthonymarisc
I love playing the instrument but I find it hard to make productive use of my time, I hate hearing myself play cause it doesn't sound as good as I want to.

If you hate hearing yourself play then you haven't hit a plateau, quite the opposite. It sounds like you have a ton of work to do - start grinding!