So I've seen a peavey valveking 212 and I don't know much about tube amps, well just amps all together. I was wondering if I'd be able to get a good metal tone out of it. I'm not looking to buy any pedals as they're not in my budget but I do have three, a tuner, darkmattter distortion and a chorus. Would I be able to get a heavy metal tone (old bmth, suicide silence, parkway drive)?
what's your amp currently? it wouldn't be the first choice for metal but if you're on a really tight budget it might be better than what you currently have.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc currently don't have anything. I am looking at getting a distortion pedal for Christmas so I wouldn't mind waiting till then. But what would be a good cheap one? Boss metal zone?
Last edited by 11traversd at Dec 3, 2016,
Quote by 11traversd
Dave_Mc currently don't have anything. I am looking at getting a distortion pedal for Christmas so I wouldn't mind waiting till then. But what would be a good cheap one? Boss metal zone?
No.

The VK is plenty capable to get metal-levels of gain by itself. Adding in a distortion pedal, especially one as notorious as the Metal Zone, will likely hinder the sound rather than help it. If your amp has a good foundation to begin with (the VK does in this case since you have no amp at all), then generally you would use a lighter overdrive like the Tubescreamer to boost the input of the amp and tighten the sound up. If the amp can do most the heavy lifting, let it.

However, the VK does hard rock better than it does metal. It can do metal but it is not its forte. Generally people also swap out the stock Valveking speakers that come in the amp for something else, and given you are looking at the 2x12 version of the VK that may not be feasible or cost-effective. If you give us a budget for an amp we may be able to help you out to find something better. But yes, the VK is better than nothing.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 3, 2016,
Quote by 11traversd
Will Laneo have £200, so not very much, the vk is going for 160
Wow, that is pretty cheap for the 2x12 version. Are you able to test it out before you buy? Turn every knob, make sure everything works. The amp will likely come with the stock tubes so if you were to buy the amp, you may want to get a new tube complement as the stock tubes will likely have a lot of wear on them.
Will LaneI don't think I'll be able to test it before I buy it. What should I do? Me and the guy will be meeting up.
I had a ValveKing 112 for a while and it kind of gets into Thrash territory kinda. . . . A tubescreamer up front or using your Dark Matter along with the higher gain channel may get you there.

Also start saving for a new set of tubes - anytime you buy a used tube amp assume the worst and that it will need new tubes. JJ's work well with Peavey amps and they are inexpensive.

There are also a couple of tricks that you will want do to - put a dummy plug into input 1 and your guitar into input 2. The dummy plug is just a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Note that you will not have anything plugged into the adapter.

You will also want to jumper the Effects Loop if you are not running any pedals in it. A simple 6" cable for a pedal board works great.

If you are into modding electronics there is a bunch of stuff you can do to the VK.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Good deal. I'd do it.

Former VK112 owner.

OD pedal is a must.

Stock speakers are crap - swap those out over time.

Edit (and the tricks mentioned above are practically free and will help a lot)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 3, 2016,
£200 is not far off jet city prices on thomann or the UK jet city online store. maybe save up a little more, especially if you have money for a metal zone?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm (the exchange rate is terrible at the minute... it might improve over time... or it might not )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
still own my VK and it really depends on what you mean by metal. old school it does fine (think early 80s Judas Priest) once you start going past that it suffers. as mentioned you need to get an overdrive with it (cheap one like a Joyo will do just fine). with an overdrive in front it can be pushed towards more modern metal sounds but it will still fall short of the more extreme metal tones.