I have a Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen) and when I try to use the LePou plugins I get some fuzzy/static type noise from it. I'm not sure how to avoid this. When I lower the volume it goes away but I lose the punch in the effect so it's not really ideal. I'm not sure what setting I'm supposed to be adjusting to fix this as I'm still new to recording. I'm using LeCab and IR files as well if that's useful to know but it doesn't seem to help.
Quote by OW_Angel
I have a Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen) and when I try to use the LePou plugins I get some fuzzy/static type noise from it. I'm not sure how to avoid this. When I lower the volume it goes away but I lose the punch in the effect so it's not really ideal. I'm not sure what setting I'm supposed to be adjusting to fix this as I'm still new to recording. I'm using LeCab and IR files as well if that's useful to know but it doesn't seem to help.
Can you make a sound clip and send it to us? There are a lot of things that could be amiss here. Input gain on the Interface, input gain in the plugins, maybe you are just hearing distortion noise (or just amp distortion in general) as well.
If I try recording from within Reaper the noise doesn't get recorded so I used a microphone on a headset I have: https://clyp.it/oedjgggj

The gain on my interface is maybe only 1/4 of it being at max and my Lepou settings are all at default (with an IR and LeCab2) in that recording there. Maybe it is just amp distortion but it just seems louder than usual for anything else I've used.
Quote by OW_Angel
If I try recording from within Reaper the noise doesn't get recorded so I used a microphone on a headset I have: https://clyp.it/oedjgggj

The gain on my interface is maybe only 1/4 of it being at max and my Lepou settings are all at default (with an IR and LeCab2) in that recording there. Maybe it is just amp distortion but it just seems louder than usual for anything else I've used.
It sounds really soft. If the noise is not recording in Reaper, but you still hear it- how are you hearing it? What sound source did you put the headset microphone to?

It just sounds like to me normal amp noise. If you are running the amp sims with any distortion and/or with single coil pickups, you will likely introduce a bit of noise into the signal.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 3, 2016,
It comes out of my monitors once I load up Lepou but it doesn't get picked up on Reaper somehow. Once I add LeCab it quiets down some but still seems loud to me. I guess this is just the way it is then? I've seen instructions of other people setting theirs up and and they never mention this or it being an issue.
Quote by OW_Angel
It comes out of my monitors once I load up Lepou but it doesn't get picked up on Reaper somehow. Once I add LeCab it quiets down some but still seems loud to me. I guess this is just the way it is then? I've seen instructions of other people setting theirs up and and they never mention this or it being an issue.
So can you record the guitar properly with the Lepou sims into Reaper? It is just that noise does not show up on Reaper but it does through your monitoring? Then I would suggest something is funky with your monitoring. Also, if you are using amp sims you need cabinet simulators as well- the frequency response curves of a guitar speaker do a lot for the guitar sound.
Right! I hear the noise through my headphones as well, I think what I use to hear the instrument isn't the issue. I thought that's what LeCab2 was for but it's just a cabinet impulse loader then? What can I use for that then if there are free options or is that another hardware thing I need?
Quote by OW_Angel
Right! I hear the noise through my headphones as well, I think what I use to hear the instrument isn't the issue. I thought that's what LeCab2 was for but it's just a cabinet impulse loader then? What can I use for that then if there are free options or is that another hardware thing I need?
I am a little confused as to what you are asking.

If the noise does not actually record on the track, but you still have your proper amp and speaker simulation, then there is something not right with your monitoring. You say if you record the track into reaper, there is no noise- even through your monitoring system? But if you just monitor the signal directly, not listening to a recording, you get noise?
Sorry about that, let me try and not mix things up since I'm new I figure I'm getting some things mixed up.

The way you phrased the last sentence is right: if I monitor the signal directly, not listening to a recording, I get noise.
It sounds like your gain is way too high on your monitors.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by OW_Angel
Sorry about that, let me try and not mix things up since I'm new I figure I'm getting some things mixed up.

The way you phrased the last sentence is right: if I monitor the signal directly, not listening to a recording, I get noise.
Yep, something is not right with your monitoring. Check levels, cables, etc...
Kyleisthename
I'm not sure if that's it because all the gain on everything is at mid levels and the gain on my interface is about 1/4

Will Lane
What's a full check list? I'm coming to the conclusion that it's my interface because like I said before even when I plug in headphones I get that monitoring noise.
Quote by OW_Angel
Kyleisthename
I'm not sure if that's it because all the gain on everything is at mid levels and the gain on my interface is about 1/4

Will Lane
What's a full check list? I'm coming to the conclusion that it's my interface because like I said before even when I plug in headphones I get that monitoring noise.
Check everything. You say the gain on the interface is about 1/4, you should be setting it so that the input signal is right below clipping. Maybe you have too little gain at that stage and you are having to bump up the volume so much later down in your monitoring stage that the noise floor rises with it?
Will Lane
That sounds like it might be the problem but the 2i4 has a light on it to let you know when you're clipping on it and lets you know you're good by being green at the right level on the gain so you don't clip. Like I said before I'm still new so I'm not sure what all the things to be checking are or if I'm even using the right terminology.
Quote by OW_Angel
Will Lane
That sounds like it might be the problem but the 2i4 has a light on it to let you know when you're clipping on it and lets you know you're good by being green at the right level on the gain so you don't clip. Like I said before I'm still new so I'm not sure what all the things to be checking are or if I'm even using the right terminology.
Well the idea is that you turn up your input gain to where it will clip on hard strums, but then back it off just a bit so that your hardest strum will be below clipping. The green light just means that the signal is not clipping the input of the interface, but not that the signal level is optimal.
Will Lane
I think I'm getting that part right as far as I can tell.... is there a gain knob in reaper on the track I'm monitoring itself I can adjust?
Quote by OW_Angel
Will Lane
I think I'm getting that part right as far as I can tell.... is there a gain knob in reaper on the track I'm monitoring itself I can adjust?

You're just monitoring straight from the output of the channel with Reaper, so I don't think there's anything you can really adjust.

Can you post your full channel plugin suite, in order? We don't need the settings, just what is on there.

Something here smells funny.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
I wasn't sure which one you wanted so I included both all the VSTs I have and the chain I have on the track:

1: http://i.imgur.com/nE778Y6.png
2: http://i.imgur.com/zQWSyNJ.png

I know you said you didn't need the settings but just to be clear everything is on default values.

EDIT: I got desperate and bought a second gen 2i2 to see if I get the same issue.

EDIT 2:
I'm doing more research and I think I can be clearer in stating that the noise starts when I load the lepou amp sim plugin but once I remove it I get a clean signal from my monitors and headphone. I've also used the Extremeist amp sim having the same issue. Anytime I add them back even along with an IR loaded I get what I'm feeling is just too much noise. I was thinking maybe it's a ground loop but that can't be it if it's only happening when I load the amp sim, right? & I don't touch any of the dials once I load them it's just overly loud. Should I share a video to youtube so you can hear what it sounds like better perhaps?
Last edited by OW_Angel at Dec 11, 2016,