I need a wah pedal, and I could use some advice as to one to get. I'm leaning toward the Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2, but I've never tried out any. (Just recently started playing electric). I mostly play a Shecter Diamond Series S-1+ and either a Fender Mustang 1 or a Crate GFX 212T amp, if that is relevant, and play mostly classic rock (Cream, Zeppellin, Hendrix, Dead, etc.)
Do I have to worry about the tone of my guitar with the Crybaby or Vox 845? I don't think they have true bypass. They all sound great on Youtube, so I'm lost. Is the Bad Horsie worth the extra cash? Yes, money is a consideration, like it is for most people at Christmas time. The Bad Horsie would be as expensive as I could go right now. I've spent far more on guitars and equipment lately than I should have.
Guitar greats of old used wahs that were not true or buffered bypass (hardwire bypass), and they got along fine. HOWEVER, no need to neglect "modern" technology advances- I recommend finding one with true bypass.
I have a Crybaby GBC95.
Its heavily modified.
Stock it sucks.
The Bad Horsie 2 is good, but if you like to park your wah (leave it at a set position and use it as sort of a tone control), it won't work for you.
It uses a pressure switch and as soon as you put your foot on it, it turns on. Take your foot off of it and it turns off.
I had one, got rid of it about a week later because of the pressure switch thing. That and my modded crybaby sounded just as good.
The BBE Ben Wah is a decent wah pedal and its not to expensive ($100 US or so I think).

There are numerous signature Crybabys. Might want to look into those.
I have heard good things about the Jerry Cantrell signature wah, but have never tried it myself.
Quote by CodeMonk

The Bad Horsie 2 is good, but if you like to park your wah (leave it at a set position and use it as sort of a tone control), it won't work for you.
It uses a pressure switch and as soon as you put your foot on it, it turns on. Take your foot off of it and it turns off.
I had one, got rid of it about a week later because of the pressure switch thing. That and my modded crybaby sounded just as good.
The BBE Ben Wah is a decent wah pedal and its not to expensive ($100 US or so I think).

There are numerous signature Crybabys. Might want to look into those.
I have heard good things about the Jerry Cantrell signature wah, but have never tried it myself.

So, no sticking a piece of wood under the pedal and leaving it set there like Robin Trower on Bridge Of Sighs. That puts a whole new light on things. Now I'm even less sure what to do than before. Well, I figure whatever one I get, it should be fine for a while, to learn how to use the thing. Maybe by the time I do that, I'll have a better idea what I want.
Btw, nobody had anything to say about the Vox? I mean, Vox did invent the wah, (although it was marketed first as being for horns) but nobody out there has any love for them?
Vox wahs are just not anywhere near as popular as Dunlop wahs so fewer people have tried them.

The stock Crybaby is pretty crappy. Bypass buffer is infamous for being terrible. Many people complain it's too piercing. You can make it sound a lot nicer with mods though.

The Bad Horsie will always be a great sounding wah, but they consume a lot of space on a pedalboard the lack of being able to cock the wah in a certain position (not something I personally care for) is something that turns people off. You can wedge something under the pedal to do the same thing. But it isn't practical to do that in a live setting. The BH has a buffer in it too, but there is a night and day difference in the quality of the buffers between the two pedals. The BH's is massively superior. It also isn't nearly as piercing as the Crybaby.

Cannot speak for the Vox wah as I have no personal experience with them. After I got a BH wah, I've had little reason to consider anything else.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by relayer1
Btw, nobody had anything to say about the Vox? I mean, Vox did invent the wah, (although it was marketed first as being for horns) but nobody out there has any love for them?

Its been awhile since I have looked t the schematics for the Vox and Crybaby wahs. So I took a quick look.
There is almost no difference between the two except the crybaby has an input buffer.
The difference in sound would be very little, if noticeable at all.

The Vox is fine.
I have one.
But as I said, my crybaby is heavily modified and nothing I have tried has made me want to swap it out for anything else.
CodeMonk do you know what's modded in your cry baby?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
What might be smart is to get a cheaper Wah to start out with and go from there. EHX just released a new Wah which is $62 USD. It does not have a status LED but is true bypass. Another is the Modtone Vintage Wah, a unit that I have and use, which is really cheap at the moment as well- has status LED and true bypass, but the switch feels a little weird (at least to me). Another is the GCB95F (the F is important), Classic Crybaby Wah with the Fasel inductor and true bypass, no LED. Last option is the Crybaby Mini, true bypass and 3 Wah voicings, also really tiny.

With many Wahs you can adjust their voicing by adjusting the internal potentiometer, so if the unit you get is a little too spiky or dark (to a degree), it can be fixed. Also you can mod hardwire-bypass pedals to work true-bypass, but it may be a bit more trouble than it is worth if you are not familiar with basic pedal modding.

Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 4, 2016,
Fulltone Clyde or RMC/thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's a bit pricey, but I picked up a Dunlop MC-404 CAE wah and haven't looked back. It has two different inductors in it (crybaby/vox-ish sounds), a built-in boost, and there are Q and gain pots inside for even more versatility. The sound quality is absolutely fantastic and it is true hardwire bypass (which means the boost can't be used on its own, but I haven't found a need for that since I already have a separate boost pedal).
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 5, 2016,
Quote by JAHellraiser
CodeMonk do you know what's modded in your cry baby?

Of course, I modded them myself.
With info from diyguitarist.com.
Unfortunately, the site no longer exists.
But if you google "cry baby gcb-95 mods" you should be able to find plenty of mods.
Look for the "Fat Wah" mod. That one had the single biggest impact, IMO.

Also, I suggest adding an output buffer as well.
Look at the bottom of this page for info : http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mccoy.php
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 5, 2016,
Quote by relayer1
So, no sticking a piece of wood under the pedal and leaving it set there like Robin Trower on Bridge Of Sighs. That puts a whole new light on things. Now I'm even less sure what to do than before. Well, I figure whatever one I get, it should be fine for a while, to learn how to use the thing. Maybe by the time I do that, I'll have a better idea what I want.

Morley makes other wah pedals so I'd look at them. with the Classic or Power wah you don't need to use wood or anything else to do what you described. the on / off switch is on the side of the pedal so you can park it and not mess around. Morley is my preferred wah. Cry-Baby's are ok but the cheaper ones can pickup radio stations and such plus be tone suckers (lousy buffer). again Vox has the same issue until you get to the more expensive one.
I bought a Morley Bad Horsie 2 and it's fine for what I use it for (and the price I paid used). If you want a not as tweakable but very good Dunlop / Vox style check out the Budda Budwah.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
+1 metalmingee Budda is a good middle-ground wah too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Check out the Morley Maverick. It's basically a Bad Horsey in a smaller package.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you can find an Xotic Xw1 for a decent price I highly recommend it. Smaller footprint than a normal Wah, and I've found it to be a very good tweakable wah that has a wide sweep and can be very vocal.

If you want a mini wah, I've heard really good things about the Mooer Micro Wahter. It's tiny, sounds good and is about £70.

Just a few different options for you
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus