Ok I've got a question for you all. I recently discovered a new artist I like, a girl named , " Tash Sultana" It seems that in a lot of her songs she's using a drum machine or something similar, playing an electric, and singing. And she's doing this all by herself.

How do you all feel about this ? Normally it seems that the singer song writer is approached through acoustic, but what do you guys think about

Buying a really sick drum machine / Electric, and playing solo & singing along ??

The band effect as a solo artist ? Less guys to share groupies with ?! Less having to rely on unreliable people ??

What do you guys think, food for thought ?
I've done that from time to time, but not often with a guitar.
I have a pair of keyboards by Korg that have 16-track sequencers built in. One, a PA3X, also has VoiceLive firmware (vocal harmonies and FX). You can actually sequence separate tracks for drums, bass, keys, vocal tracks, etc. and just shut off the ones you want to supply in live performance. Since you can also include MIDI signals in the tracks, you can even control lighting during playback.
I don't see why you couldn't use this approach. Use some kind of foot controller to start/stop the backing track when necessary. Maybe consider a laptop with DAW to play your backing track and send the signal through an amp or whatever. Leaving you free to play guitar and sing, as if it were the sound of a full band.

I know that Buckethead uses a drum track to play live, rather than having a band. Obviously, he doesn't sing as well.
This works well for a recording project, but for live gigs it doesn't work well. You end up with a sterile show, no band dynamics, too scripted, and with no visual entertainment.

I don't know how this translates through the rest of the world, but where I am acts like that have a very different market to real bands. Real bands play known venues and can market themselves as original artists. Solo acts play social clubs and are pretty much limited to playing a fairly standard set filled with old classics from the 50s and 60s. There is no market for any crossover.

Obviously in the world of the internet a solo project can find an audience, but it won't be a live audience playing local gigs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Remember this duo?

Timbuk3 was formed in 1984 in Madison, Wisconsin, by the husband and wife team of Pat MacDonald (acoustic, electric, bass and MIDI guitars, harmonica, vocals, drum programming) and Barbara K. MacDonald (electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, violin, rhythm programming, vocals).

For most of band's existence, it was just the two of them plus their drum & percussion loops.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!

Here's a video of that Tash Sultana using this style live.
I can see how for some this still could be stale but she performs the hell out of it and makes it work for her, very interesting & worth a watch, she's touring all over now. :-)
I own BeatBuddy with the foot pedal (pre-order thru Indigogo campaign) it is quite forgiving drum machine pedal.. if you download the BeatBuddy software you can customize an entire song and add transitions and fills.. make 3 songs only or an entire track list for a show, then use the footswitch to change songs. it sounds very really if you use the hi-fi sound system.. the visual metronome allows you to play to the beat and the buttons of the footswitch allows you to skip/select songs and play accent.

I also bought Digitech Trio (original) with the Digitech FS2X.. it is a fun pedal that analyze simple chords for different part of song.. numerous genre and you can set the tempo too.. but it doesn't save the songs you create.. so Digitech then made Trio+ which added more features and allow you to set the sequence and intensity as well as save the songs you created.. it also has FX built-in.. allows you to chose Jacko bass player or simple bass player

Both are good tools you can use.. in live environment.

I have all three.. I don't think I would sell the Trio (original).. if my friend wants to borrow.. that is what he can borrow.. hahaha.. don't want him to mess up the other two.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 5, 2016,