Okay so I was down at my local pawn shop today and I spied this:

Now based purely on the fact that it looks different and I thought it looked pretty, I bought it for $200 AU. So here comes the point; am I an idiot for buying this thing?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
All that is important is, if it has no defects chips and damages.. plays beautifully keeps in tune..then it is worth it.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
A pretty unique looking guitar. Congratulations.
Happy New Guitar Day!

Couple of quick questions though. It looks like a bowl type guitar. If it is, what's it made out of? It certainly has a wood look, with the stair step pattern.

Have you plugged it in yet? If so, how does it sound?

I thought Hohner mostly made harmonicas, (and maybe some other band stuff)?

From what I can see, the top looks like is has a nice tight, clear grain pattern. Can you tell if it's solid or laminated yet?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 4, 2016,
Horner, if I remember correctly.. made headless guitar and bass.. made beatle bass.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by Captaincranky
Happy New Guitar Day!

Couple of quick questions though. It looks like a bowl type guitar. If it is, what's it made out of? It certainly has a wood look, with the stair step pattern.

Have you plugged it in yet? If so, how does it sound?

I thought Hohner mostly made harmonicas, (and maybe some other band stuff)?

From what I can see, the top looks like is has a nice tight, clear grain pattern. Can you tell if it's solid or laminated yet?

I can only tell that it has a spruce top (I know that colour and grain anywhere) and the bowl back looks and has a grain like wood, but feels incredibly plastic, and I am really not sure what it is.

Haven't plugged it in yet, but acoustically it is very, very mellow, but as I have to tune it up to F to make it stay in tune, it gets a little brighter that way.

Hohner (not to be confused with Hofner) definitely are more famous for their metal reeded instruments, mostly harmonicas and accordions, but they have made a small number of guitars for a few decades now, and this is the third one I've ever seen, the other two were electric hollowbodies.

Definitely solid, it's pretty small so they had the opportunity to make a single piece soundboard, no ply here.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Pastafarian96

Is the top laminated? - You can tell be looking at the grain lines in the edge of the soundhole. It wouldn't bother me one way or the other, I'm just curious.

The back looks exactly like a neat version of those Asian-made wooden fruit bowls that we see a lot of here in Oz. I would bet money that the back was made by one of those manufacturers. I have had a few of those fruit bowls, they are very durable and stable.
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 4, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
Pastafarian96

Is the top laminated? - You can tell be looking at the grain lines in the edge of the soundhole. It would bother me one way or the other, I'm just curious.

The back looks exactly like a neat version of those Asian-made wooden fruit bowls that we see a lot of here in Oz. I would bet money that the back was made by one of those manufacturers. I have had a few of those fruit bowls, they are very durable and stable.

Nope, solid spruce, two big pieces about 1.5 mm thick.

Oh man, my grandparents have a million of those bowls and you just reminded me to ring my grandfather for his birthday today
A poem.
Quote by yoman297