I'm wondering what type of guitar is best for getting a nice bright/chimey tone? I already own a Fender Deluxe American Standard Strat, with a Hod Rod Deluxe GB amp, which those get an awesome warmer clean tone. But I really love alternative music, even electronic music, so I think a guitar that has good brightness, sounds nice with delay and reverb is better suited than a warm strat. I want to avoid twang, so I'm not so interested in Telecaster types, but just a nice chimey bright tone would be best. Not interested in lots of distortion, but lower gain drives. Probably single coils are still best since they're naturally brighter. Sorta don't like the hum in my strat though (usually use the second or fourth position). I love my guitar now, but I'm just wondering what would be the best for all this. I'm more in to sound design with pedals and the tone, less about playing crazy riffs and what not. Any suggestions? Probably no more than $2K.
I'd check out the Ernie Ball Stingray or Cutlass.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
$2K?

Looooots of options. One thing you could do is modify a guitar you own with some bright pickups, like Lipstick singlecoils. If hum is really an issue, certain noiseless singlecoils, P90s, HB-sized P90s, and HBs like FillerTrons, Alumitones, etc, exist.

Or you can find a guitar made with them already. Or you might even be able to have one made.

Lipsticks can be found in Danelectros, and in some retro-inspired guitars, like the the (discontinued) Godin Belmont.

I know the Reverend Billy Corgan has Railhammer humcutters (noiseless HB-sized P90s) in it, and that Railhammer makes a variety of humcutters with different voices. Reverend has a lot of P90/Humcutter equipped guitars. Ditto Godin and G&L. G&L's Z-coil pickups are (as I understand) a kind of noiseless P90.

Gretsch and others use Fillertrons or FillerTron-inspired HBs on certain models.

Rice, J. Backlund and others have used Alumitones. Lace- their manufacturers- make a bunch of noiseless designs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz

The P-90 option is a great choice. I agree with danny.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Hmm. Maybe it isn't the guitar but the amp? A strat should be able to give you a very bright and chimy tone in all positions. Take your guitar to a guitar shop and try a Twin Reverb or something along those lines.
Quote by maxxxkolo
Hmm. Maybe it isn't the guitar but the amp? A strat should be able to give you a very bright and chimy tone in all positions. Take your guitar to a guitar shop and try a Twin Reverb or something along those lines.

Good point.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
This might not even be a problem with your guitar, or any of your other gear - My own personal experience with strats is they have much more of a chiming characteristic when you play them with a lighter touch - they start to do that brash "twang 'n' spank" thing when you start to play them in a more aggressive manner. Noise issues aside, using the individual pickups as opposed to the 2 and 4 positions will certainly help to brighten things up.

Try plucking the strings a bit closer to the bridge, too. This makes a much bigger difference to the sound than I think a lot of people realise.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
There ain't nothing more "chimey" than a Rickenbacker. Just ask Roger McGuinn.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ yeah maybe, good idea

Quote by Blompcube
This might not even be a problem with your guitar, or any of your other gear - My own personal experience with strats is they have much more of a chiming characteristic when you play them with a lighter touch - they start to do that brash "twang 'n' spank" thing when you start to play them in a more aggressive manner. Noise issues aside, using the individual pickups as opposed to the 2 and 4 positions will certainly help to brighten things up.

Try plucking the strings a bit closer to the bridge, too. This makes a much bigger difference to the sound than I think a lot of people realise.

yeah. i mean from his description, if he hadn't already said he had a strat, i'd have said "that sounds pretty much like you're describing a strat".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seconded on Gretsch guitars. Anything with -tron (retrotron, fillertron, etc) pickups will do the job nicely. You could even get something like a HH Jaguar and throw some Retrotrons in it and still end up with a fantastic instrument for wayyy under your budget.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
You have a Strat and a HRD but can't get a chime? I think what you need is a compressor or treble booster, not another guitar. I mean, we all need another guitar, but I don't think you NEED another guitar to achieve what you're looking for.

Alternatively, get an AC30
Quote by JustRooster
Alternatively, get an AC30

Agreed, if all else fails, an AC30 can make anything chime.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp