I have an SG G-400 I play very often. I bought the guitar for a pretty cheap price and honestly for the price I'm in love with it. It looks great and feels great to play. I've been considering doing some mods and upgrades for a while now, one thing I'd like it to change the tuning pegs to match those of the Gibson (they're kinda green looking) and mainly to switch the pickups. I've written a good amount of music with this guitar and generally I do clean parts and some parts with a good amount of distortion. I don't know too much about pickups as I tend to just use stock pickups unless they're horrid. Are there any pickups that are would serve me well for both clean and dirty? Also, if anyone out there has a G-400, any cool mods you've made to it? I really do love this guitar and would love to clean it up nice so it plays and looks even better
Also got some EMG hz lying around. Are those better than stock g400 so I can use in the mean time? I know people dislike the hz's but they're not absolutely horrible
What kind of stuff do you want to play with the modded axe? What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What kind of stuff do you want to play with the modded axe? What's your budget?
I generally play prog metal kind of stuff like Polyphia, Sithu Aye, and Nick Johnston to give a bit of an idea. Budget isn't terribly tight. Ideally I'd prob like to stay near 200 for a set..the less I can pay the better of course.
OK. Here are some options for a $200 total budget.

BRIDGE/ /NECK
Lace Alumitone Deathbucker/ /Lace Alumitone Deathbucker
Lace Alumitone Deathbucker/ /Lace Alumitone HB
Lace Alumitone HB/ /Lace Alumitone HB
Railhammer Chisel/ /Railhammer Chisel
Railhammer Chisel/ /Railhammer HyperVintage
Railhammer Chisel/ /Railhammer Billy Corgan Humcutter*
Railhammer Chisel/ /Railhammer Nuevo 90 Humcutter
Railhammer HyperVintage/ /Railhammer HyperVintage
Railhammer HyperVintage/ /Railhammer Nuevo 90 Humcutter
Railhammer Billy Corgan Humcutter/ /Railhammer Billy Corgan Humcutter
Kiesel KL12B/ /Kiesel KL12N
Kiesel M22T-1/ /Kiesel M22N-1
Kiesel M22SD-1/ /Kiesel M22N-1

* "Humcutter" is Railhammer's term for noiseless HB-sized P90s
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a 2014 Epi SG G400 faded. I'm like you...I love the way this guitar feels/plays and for the price I paid for it I could fumble it down two flights of concrete steps into a fire pit and it wouldn't break my heart. That being said, I replaced the stock Epi electronics with pickups/pots/switch from a 2015 Gibson SGJ (61 classic zebra pickups and the "circuit board" style pots/switch). For what I play (classic rock / AC DC etc.) it really woke it up. It did take a little bit of dremel routing of the cavity to get the Gibson bits to fit, but nothing drastic. Far as the Grover tuners go, I have no urge to replace them. The guitar stays in tune well so IMO swapping them out for anything else would be a lateral move at best (unless you prefer the look of the Gibson tuners better...then game on.) I've got less than $500 total invested into this guitar and IMO it sounds / plays just as good as the "real deal" Gibson SG.