Hey guys, having some trouble, hoping to figure this out.
I have a Jackson Kelly with a floyd rose tuned to drop B. I have 11 - 56 on it for strings. I'm having some problems with intonation. I adjusted the bridge properly, making sure the 12 fret is in tune and what not. But as I get up to higher frets, it becomes very flat. My actions is a little high, but if I lower it, there isn't enough clearance for the strings and they'll buzz. The higher frets have a higher action then the lower frets, so I'm assuming it's a neck relief problem.
I don't wanna mess with it though unless I'm certain it's what I have to tinker with. The height of the strings on the lower frets should be the same as the higher right?
The height of the strings on the lower frets should be the same as the higher right?

No. The action of the strings at the higher frets needs to be (to some extent) higher than the lower frets or else the guitar will be unplayable.

What you're describing does not make sense. In the action of fretting the higher frets, you need to effectively bend the strings into the fretboard for the strings more to make contact with the frets which bends the strings sharp.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
It sounds like you need a complete setup.

Is the baseplate of the Floyd parallel to the body?

Have you checked the neck relief? That's an integral part of the setup.

Is this a new issue or a new tuning or new guage of strings or is the entire guitar new to you?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingeeYea, the bridge is straight to the body, and about 3 quarters of the thickness is above the hole. And the problems been there for years now, I just never really looked into fixing before, but now that I'm getting into recording more, it's become an issue. I used to consistently use Ernie Ball heavy top slinky bottoms which were 10-52, but they were way too slinky, so this is my first time trying out 11s.
And I haven't checked on the neck relief lately, but I did adjust it about 6 months ago to get rid of string buzz, but didn't attempt to fix the intonation problem.
There's no guitar techs where I live, very small town, so any thing that needs to be done I'll need to learn to do myself. I just don't know where to start. Every time I try to google it, it just always gives me the bridge and 12th fret adjustment.
One thing that comes to mind - are you using the correct hole in the Floyd baseplate for intonation? There are 2 holes for each saddle. If you've maxed out the range, try the next hole.

Increasing the gauge of the strings will cause the neck to bow more so you will need to tighten the truss rod.

What model Kelly is this by the way?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingeeYea I did, 2 of the strings needed me to put the screw in the next hole, the others didn't need to be pulled back enough. And okay, I'll check the truss rod.
And I'm not too sure on the model, but I think it's a JS32. It has Jackson branded humbuckers with the plate thing over them, floyd rose, 24 frets with the triangle-ish markers on them, and a stick that says made in India. It was a gift from my uncle about 4 years ago now. My brother and I each got one, they're the same but different colors. But unfortunately there wasn't any information on models and stuff. My uncle lives across Canada and is an 'off the grid' kinda guy, so I can't reach him through phone or email. Just sends christmas and birthday gifts now and again.
Last edited by Frankieanime78 at Dec 6, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
No. The action of the strings at the higher frets needs to be (to some extent) higher than the lower frets or else the guitar will be unplayable.

What you're describing does not make sense. In the action of fretting the higher frets, you need to effectively bend the strings into the fretboard for the strings more to make contact with the frets which bends the strings sharp.

Yeah the action of the wound strings should be a bit higher than the unwound strings and also the pickup should be a tad lower under the wound strings than under the unwound to keep the wound strings from becoming muddy and overpowering the high strings.

You may just need a good professional set up then from then on you would be ok unless you start changing string gage. Trussrod could be an issue you may need to add a tad bit of relief.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine Oh that's great, that solves something else I've been having trouble with. One of my other guitars has 60-12 on them, and with both I've been having the big stings massively over powering the unwound ones.

Sorry though, I've been playing for a long time, but I've never really got into the technical stuff, somewhat intimidates me. And yea, I'd love to just pay someone to set it up properly for me, but I live in a tiny town with no guitar technicians. So everything I just have to start learning.