Hi everyone,

so I recently got my first 7-string: Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF. It's a basswod body, buckeye burl top, wenge/bubinga neck and rosewood fretboard. For the last 5 years I've been primarily playing on my 6-string Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB (mahogany body, quilted maple top, maple neck, rosewdood fretboard). The latter has the full Dimarzio Evolution combo built in (neck, mid and bridge) and to be honest I love the combo to the fullest. The guitar is quite trebly by nature and the Evo-combo rounds the overall sound up very nicely. The bridge-humbucker delivers very clear and tight sounding rhythm sounds, even with maximum gain. Now for the RG927: I noticed very early that the pickups just sound quite muddy, especially when playing 3-notes-powerchords. To me it just seems that the bridge-pu delivers too much bass. It just doesn't sound that tight.

So what are your recommended pickups for a basswod 7-strings? I'm quite sure that I'll get a LiquiFire for the neck, but I can't decide between the Evolution 2 and CrunchLab. Evo 2 would be the more logical choice, since it seems to be quite similar to the original Evo (though I don't know how it would sound in basswod) and according to Dimarzio the EQ-profile has rather pronounced mids (6.5, 7.0, 6.5 at 420 mV output), while CrunchLab seems to neglect the highs and rather pronounce the lows (4.5, 5.5, 6.0 at 410 mV output).

Any kind of input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Dragonfyre
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
If you're set on DiMarzio I'd reach out to them and see what they suggest. They know their product better than anyone else and are most likely willing to help you however they can.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Dragonfyre137

I heard the evo 2 is kind of warm so I'm not sure how it works for metal . I have tried the original evolution and I do like that sound a lot . You could also try a D Activator the specs are somewhat similar to the original evolution . I was always a fan of the DA pickup . Clear , crunchy and open sounding
I would go for the Crunch Lab, Petrucci's guitars are pretty much all basswood and his tone is tight, responsive and articulate. A lot of that might be due to the Mesa/Boogies but the pickups are certainly a factor in this.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Thanks So far I'll probably take the Crunch Lab. I've listened to a few sound samples over youtube comparing Evo, Blaze and CL for the bridge position. Blaze just lacks mids for my taste.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
I'm probably late getting in here but...

I have the Blaze pickups in my Universe (basswood 7 string much like yours) and the CL in a 6 string RG. You are correct about the Blaze, it is fairly flat in the midrange, really scooped compared to the CL, but it is a very articulate pickup that handles high gain and clean sounds well. The CL is a, well, crunchy pickup with an aggressive midrange growl and tight lows. An excellent pickup. If you're using the LF in the neck I would definitely use the CL.

May I ask what style of music you'll be playing?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Don't worry, you're not late ^^

I usually play Power-, Speed-, Heavy- and Death Metal. To name a few bands that I like to play along with: Dragonforce, Hammerfall, Eluveitie, Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Nightwish... but I also love to turn on some movie- or game soundtrack and just jam along with it. There are some songs I play on both my 6- and my 7-string, but (due to tuning) I play Eluveitie and Amon Amarth exclusively on my 7-String (which is in standard-tuning) and Hammerfall on my 6-String (which is tuned to Eb). I generally prefer a modern, high-output and rounded sound, with a slight focus on the highs. My EQ-settings are best described as 5-6-7-8: Lows at about 12 o'clock, mids at 1-2 o'clock, highs at 3 and gain at 4 (a slight turn below max). My tone knob is usually turned more or less halfway betwen min and max, depending on the specific song, volume is usually on max, except when I play some hard rock or blues rock.

I found this video exploring the differences between the Blaze, Crunch Lab and Evo 7, but I have no idea how acurate and reliable these representations are:

Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
^ that's a pretty good comparison vid, though I think he was getting a lot of his tone from the amp. The differences between those pickups were more subtle than I expected in the video.

Another pickup you may consider is the Illuminator, which is Petrucci's newer signature model. I've yet to play one in person but from the samples I've heard it's a lot like the CrunchLab with a little more top end cut.

One other question, what amp are you playing through? It might help you make your choice to look for a pickup that compliments the tone of your amp as well as the guitar it goes in.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Yeah, I also though the differences are not very prominent. Though I think it's quite noticable (at least with more or less good headphones) that the Blaze lacks punch and mids. Crunch Lab has quite the beefy low end and Evo is quite rounded up and punchy. At least so far it's a very tough call between Evo and CL, as both have a good focus on mids, which I quite like.

The Illumintor sounds like something I should consider...

My gear is exactly the one you see in my signature . I play my Peavey Valve King 112 in the rehearsal room and my Vypyr 15 (rectifier mod) via headphones in my bedroom.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Ah ok. I missed that b/c sigs aren't displayed on the mobile version, at least what I'm seeing.

I wouldn't say the Blaze lacks punch, it's an articulate, precise pickup that can be unforgiving, but it certainly doesn't have the pronounced midrange of the CL. I don't have any direct experience with the Evo so I can't say how it matches up in person. It sounds like you've just about reached a decision. Once you make your choice and get it installed let us know what you think about it.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I don't know, the decision is still quite close
As I said, I have the full 6-string Evo set in my S-series and especially the bridge-PU is very tight and punchy. Some people might say it lacks lows, but that doesn't concern me. The neck PU for my 7-string is very likely going to be the Liquifire, but I'm not very set on Crunchlab or Evo, thogh at least from the video I tend to prefer the Evo. I'll sure lett you know, though it might take some time I'm one of the people who tend to overthink things and I'l probably be getting the PUs sometime in spring or summer next year, when (hopefully) money will be a lesser issue than it is now.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
You do realize that with an amp like a Peavey Bandit 112 and a cheap Peavey Vypyr, and pickups that you put in the guitar is going to be pretty immaterial, right?

I suggest getting a better amp first. Pickups are something you upgrade when you have a decent amp to begin with, but you want to make very minor adjustments to how your setup sounds. A pickup swap is not going to suddenly make a Bandit sound better.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You do realize that with an amp like a Peavey Bandit 112 and a cheap Peavey Vypyr, and pickups that you put in the guitar is going to be pretty immaterial, right?

I suggest getting a better amp first. Pickups are something you upgrade when you have a decent amp to begin with, but you want to make very minor adjustments to how your setup sounds. A pickup swap is not going to suddenly make a Bandit sound better.

Uhm, I'm 100 % sure that I nowhere wrote that I own a bandit. I own a Peavey Valve King 112, which is a 50 W tube amp. Besides that, yes, I do have a Vypyr 15, but I use that one only in my bedroom. My main amp is the Valve King.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Apologies. I must've read that somewhere else in another thread and the name stuck out in my memory for some reason.

I wouldn't consider a Valveking a particularly great metal amp either though. It's just not really voiced for that kind of sound imo. I still think an upgrade should be on the cards.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Apologies. I must've read that somewhere else in another thread and the name stuck out in my memory for some reason.

hahahahaha that happens to me too, i get confused which thread i'm in
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?