Poll: Dual Rectifier multi watt, or 90's 2 channel?
Poll Options
View poll results: Dual Rectifier multi watt, or 90's 2 channel?
Dual Rectifier multi watt
2 100%
Dual Rectifier 90's 2 channel
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I have finally found that I really enjoy the massive dual rectifier sound and voicing. I have narrowed my pick down to the new multi watt dual rectifier reborn or an older revision F or G dual rectifier from the 90's. I've been searching around online and I haven't found a post directly comparing the new multi watt dual rec with the older 2 channel 90's ones. I'm assuming the cleans and versatility go to the multiwatt, but the real question is how do the lead gain channels compare? Which is tighter, less fizzy, and which sounds better to you, and why? I really think the dual rec is my dream amp. I just want the dual rec voicing without the excessive fizziness I hear in clips, and with the ability to tighten up at least a bit with an od pedal. Also feel free to discuss the new triple rectifier multi watt with the old 2 channel triple recs. I'm hoping to get a couple of different opinions from people who have tried both.
the only bad thing about the 90's DR is if it's ever been modified , repaired or transformers changed it will not sound the same as the original .... buying on the internet might make it tough verifying original parts and pieces ..... the Roadster is a multi watt DR with 4 channels so don't hesitate on them either if your shopping used ..... I have a mid 2000's DR 3 channel solo head with KT77's tubes ( euro tubes "favorite combo" ) that's my favorite amp and hardly play my MK V anymore ...... not matter what , you can't go wrong with a Mesa
Fumble fingersNice, I actually just came across a roadking 2 2x12 combo for sale locally. The guy wants $750 for it and says everything on it works except channel 1 which won't work at all. Any ideas on how much a repair like that would run me?
Even if channel one doesn't work, that seems like it can do as much as the two channel dual rec (though I'd still be a bit wary and test out the other channels a LOT) and would be a pretty crazy bargain if you can get it to work
I would be leery. Mesa makes some seriously solid amps and i cannot think of an obvious reason why one channel would not work. unless you really know what you are doing, I would pass.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I would be leery. Mesa makes some seriously solid amps and i cannot think of an obvious reason why one channel would not work. unless you really know what you are doing, I would pass.
You may be right, I honestly know nothing about fixing tube amps, but I figured if I could talk him down to $700 and put $400 into fixing it I would still be getting a roadking 2 for $ $1100. I guess the biggest question is would getting it repaired cost more than it would be worth or not.
Call Mesa and see what they tell you. They quoted my buddy over the phone within a few $.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by tsuzu01
Fumble fingersNice, I actually just came across a roadking 2 2x12 combo for sale locally. The guy wants $750 for it and says everything on it works except channel 1 which won't work at all. Any ideas on how much a repair like that would run me?

Hit it! I bought the same model with a dead Channel 1 a bit over 2 years ago. It was a cheap fix, a yanked wire or some bad pot that a tech fixed for free. $600 to $1800 when RK IIs were going for crazy prices.
Quote by Ippon
Hit it! I bought the same model with a dead Channel 1 a bit over 2 years ago. It was a cheap fix, a yanked wire or some bad pot that a tech fixed for free. $600 to $1800 when RK IIs were going for crazy prices.
Nice! I like the sound of that.
I offered him my ltd ec 1000 for it. He said he definitely would have done that trade, but that he sold it this morning. Damn, i'm having terrible luck lately.
It's hard to say what went wrong with the amp. It might have been an expensive fix as well, you don't know. So you might have dodged a bullet.

I'd take an older Dual Rec over a new one at the same price. On the other hand, I bought my Dual Rec for 1200 euros a couple of years ago (have since sold it). It wasn't a Multi-Watt, but I've seen those for similar prices. I've also seen older Dual Rec's for close to if not over 2000 euros. I wouldn't pay that much more for one. I honestly think it's exaggerated how much difference there is between the older Dual Rec's and the newer ones by a lot of people.
Quote by Ippon

Quote by I K0nijn I
It's hard to say what went wrong with the amp. It might have been an expensive fix as well, you don't know. So you might have dodged a bullet.

i am not much of a gambler to be honest. so many things can go wrong. and have you ever worked on a mesa? they are a pain in the ass. i had to fix an issue with my MKIV and it was a little on the frustrating side. nothing like opening up and fixing a 5150. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/