(Not sure if this is the right forum­čśČ)
For my GCSE Music performances, I must choose two songs that add up to less than 6 mins total.
I was thinking of doing Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin and One by Metallica. Will these songs get me a good grace because I'm predicted A* so I need to be good
Fender squier strat w/ humbucker
Marshall MG15CFR
Blackstar LT DIST
Quote by El_shmeebot
(Not sure if this is the right forum­čśČ)
For my GCSE Music performances, I must choose two songs that add up to less than 6 mins total.
I was thinking of doing Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin and One by Metallica. Will these songs get me a good grace because I'm predicted A* so I need to be good
It's not really the right forum, and those songs are 8:00 and 7:26 respectively.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Guess you don't do maths then?

What I'd do is look at the criteria required and aimed to achieve that? I wouldn't pick songs you like just because you like them...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The songs you choose are more or less irrelevant. You said it yourself: you need to be good. If you play a great song poorly, the performance is poor. If you play an easy song really well, the performance is good. Ideally you'd need to play an impressive song really well, so you need to ask yourself: how good of a guitarist am I? How difficult of a song can I play perfectly? Don't perform a song you can't play with confidence, that's rule number one.

And yes, as people have said, those two songs add up to over 15 minutes. And they're not great solo songs for guitar anyway in my opinion.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
If you're "predicted A*", I guess that means someone thinks you're good already. So choose something you like, that you're totally comfortable with

But obviously choose a couple which add up to less than 6 minutes! IMO, apart from being too long, both those tunes are cliches (examiners will have heard attempts at them countless times before, mostly ill-advised), but if you can make complete performances out of sections of them - convincing short arrangements - that should score points. IOW, skill in arranging (adapting a song for a specific purpose) is a mark of good musicianship, as is having a creative original take on an old cliche. Just don't start each one and then stop when you reach the 3 minute mark! But better still - find tunes which are already complete at 3 minutes or less!

Whatever you do, record yourself playing them, to check they sound OK on one guitar - most rock songs only work properly with accompaniment. (Or are backing tracks acceptable for the exam?)
Last edited by jongtr at Dec 5, 2016,
You want to choose a song that sounds good and compete played on just one guitar (unless backing tracks are acceptable - but even then you want to choose a song that has enough variety in the guitar part). You can of course always rearrange songs so that they work on just one guitar. Without rearranging, neither One nor Stairway to Heaven will sound good on just one guitar. They will sound repetitive and boring because the songs need the whole band (and especially vocals) to work.

Also, you need to play those songs really well if you want to impress people. Everybody has heard those songs a million times and if you don't do anything unique with them, people will get bored.

No song will get you a good grade unless you can play it well. It has more to do with how you play than what songs you play. But I would not play those songs.

BTW, not sure if this is just a troll thread.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine

BTW, not sure if this is just a troll thread.

+1 to the rest of that post too.

Yeah, the general consensus here is don't play rock music for school unless you absolutely cannot play jazz or classical related styles. And no, metal does not count as classical.

When in doubt: Unless you have a band backing you up, do not play any music that requires a backing band. Playing along to backing tracks screams "I have teh youtube chops".
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I was thinking of bridging both the pieces so that they could fit.
The annoying thing is that I can't think of any music that is relatively hard and I actually like so I can be bothered to learn them.
I'm really into thrash metal (e.g. Metallica and Megadeth) and I also like the Red Hot Chili Peppers but their stuff isn't that hard,
P.S. I also can play bass
Marshall MG15CFR
Blackstar LT DIST
How about Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan... stuff like that? At least that's meant to work on guitar and the guitar part is not just an accompaniment for the vocals.

But again, why not do your own arrangements? Playing the guitar part of a song from the bands you mentioned just will not work (for the reasons we have already mentioned). You can make an RHCP song more difficult by arranging the song for one guitar. On RHCP songs the vocal melody is usually the most important part so arrange that and some kind of an accompaniment for the guitar and play them at the same time. I can't see a Megadeth or a Metallica song working on just one guitar (unless we are talking about a ballad or completely rearranging the song so that it's really not thrash metal any more).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you're doing a graded performance don't you have an instructor you could ask for guidance? Generally these kinds of performances are something you work on with a teacher for an entire semester or year. I really hope the you're not trying to pick out performance pieces a few weeks ahead of time.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 25, 2016,
Quote by Jet Penguin
+1 to the rest of that post too.

Yeah, the general consensus here is don't play rock music for school unless you absolutely cannot play jazz or classical related styles. And no, metal does not count as classical.

Yeah, to my knowledge graded performances, juries, and auditions are almost never in popular styles. Someone going for an official proficiency level should be doing quite a bit more than picking a couple of songs where the guitar is just one part of the accompaniment. Is the player just going to play a single guitar part straight through without band accompaniment? That's not musical, no matter how proficiently it's performed. It's quite a different challenge preparing a piece that is entirely contained on the instrument, which is the basic expectation of jazz and classical players.

Even if the performance is open in terms of genre, it's probably best to pick something that the judges can relate to.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 25, 2016,
MaggaraMarinethanks, I will probably do Surfing with the Alien by Satch and maybe Eruption by van Halen
Marshall MG15CFR
Blackstar LT DIST
^That's worse
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp