Hey guys! You've all probably heard this story before, but I need to find new things to learn/ play. My guitar teacher has run out of things to teach me, and I have no real idea where to go from here. I would say I know a fair few things (open + barred chords up and down the neck, 6ths, 7ths, 9th and few others thrown in there), power chords (6ths, perfect), lead work (major/ minor scales memorized up and down the neck) and finger-picking, but I know that there is a lot more that I haven't learned yet- I just don't know what.

Where would be some great places to learn new things, or techniques you think I should work on? Any songs that I could learn them through? Thanks guys!
How about looking at something that's less technical and more creative? Composing your own music, improvising, ear training? You could form a band of your own as well. What do you want to achieve?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Can you play any songs?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Can you play horizontally along the strings, rather than in boxes?
L/R hand tapping, with string skips is great fun.
Phrasing and rhythm ... keep you going forever
Playing solos around chord tones
Developing you ear.
Listen to many styles/genres.

Thanks man, some great ideas there!

Quote by Kevätuhri
How about looking at something that's less technical and more creative? Composing your own music, improvising, ear training? You could form a band of your own as well. What do you want to achieve?

I've been looking at some of that as well, but I wanted to expand what I could do before I started being creative-maybe I was wrong?

Quote by steven seagull
Can you play any songs?

Yeah! (: My guitar teacher taught the techniques through songs (like using Layla to make transitions between barre chords, power chords and open chords smooth), as opposed to exercises. Obviously, some songs along the way aren't perfect, but yeah. Do you mean more technical songs? Thanks!
Honestly the first thing I'd suggest is learn more songs...if only because I'm assuming that's the reason you started playing the guitar! Learning new songs will inevitably introduce you to new techniques or new ways of using the things you've already learned.

There's also a lot to be learned from going back to songs you "think" you can already play. I guarantee there's scope for you to improve them, and you may be surprised at how much better you can play them if you put a bit of extra work in.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com