Recently I slapped on some .12-.60 strings on my pacifica just to try it out and I love it. It's tuned to Eb. I feel like my guitar sounds better and feels better to play. It actually seems easier for me to play.
What do you guys think about heavy strings? Do you think they have any advantages over light strings?

Cheers!
Last edited by maxxxkolo at Dec 5, 2016,
There's personal preference, but the main reason I shoot for heavier gauge is for better tension on down tuned stuff.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
There's personal preference, but the main reason I shoot for heavier gauge is for better tension on down tuned stuff.

Agree, other than alternate tuning, purely preference.
There's pros and cons with either direction. I've been pretty much all across the board and on my Telecasters I've settled quite happily on 11-49. In principle I like it heavier but I didn't have the practice time to build up the finger strength for 12-54 and it started taking its toll on my joints.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I use 13-56 on acoustics and my bari, and 10-46 on the other electrics, but I have tried 13-56 some of the electrics. I haven't found much difference in their amplified performance of different string gauges, except that the semihollow 335 knockoff may have been choked and lost sustain with the heavier strings. I've found more obvious differences due to winding alloys. I have never liked pure nickel, and my standard has been nickel-plated steel. I recently tried the Ernie Ball Cobalts, and really like them, very bright and aggressive. I plan on trying the M-Steels next time.

Heavier strings are easier to manage if you play slide, which is all I do on electrics, but I have developed a light touch to suit the light strings.
Big strings sound cool but put a lot of stress on the tuning gears. I had several (poorly designed) gears break when i put super heavy gauge strings on my epiphone. Those epiphone tuners didnt have a bushing to bear against and bent over in their oversized holes. Then when i turned them the gear pushed the back covers off the headstock ripping the screws out and everything.
its preference. period.

personally i run 11's on everything in standard. 12's on anything drop tuned. (C#std) if i am going to drop b, i use a heavier sixth string.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
None.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
^ yeah. heavy strings are an advantage if you either tune down a good bit, or if you just like them. if you prefer lighter strings and usually tune to E they have pretty much no advantages.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I normamlly run .010 and .009 on a guitar or two, .011 if I am tuning down though C# is about as low as I go and typically 1/2 to 1 step down from 440, I'd use heavier if i were tuning down more.

I like to get finger shaking vibrato even with 3 finger power chords which I find to be more difficult with heavy strings.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 6, 2016,
I use 52-10 for dropC and i like it. I like being able to bend a lot, and i play with a pretty light touch, so its fine for me. For standard i guess id use 9-42 or 46. I even use .10s on my acoustic.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.