Has anyone experimented with changing the mid tone cap at all?

I’ve changed my bass cap from 0.022uF to 0.1uF. Happy with that change.

However, I also changed the mid cap from 0.022uF to 0.015uF, per BillM’s specs. Now, I find the mids to be muddy (too many 150-400Hz, not enough 700-1,000Hz).

Would it make sense to put the 0.022uF mid cap back in? Or maybe go all the way up to the 0.047uF that many Fender amps use?

Thanks!

Note: To sit well in the mix, I keep treble around 9, mids around 9 (would go up to 10 for the high mids, except those low mids are too prominent), and bass around 5 or so. My BJr is loaded with an Eminence GA-SC64. (I was going for a speaker that would be like a cross between a Jensen C12N and Emi Texas Heat.)
No idea about the mods, but how's that new Eminence doing in the BJr?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc I'm liking the GA-SC64. I can dial in the lows and highs how I want.

The mids are my only issue. The SC64 having a flatter mid frequency response (compared to many speakers which gradually increase as you go from 400 to 1000HZ) and the 0.015 cap shifting the bottom of the mids curve from 700 to 1000Hz are likely both combining to make these lower mids muddy.

I like the SC64 enough to opt to put the 0.022 cap back in rather than try another speaker swap.

If this amp can be truly gig worthy, that would be very convenient. It's one of few amps I've used where I can keep the stage volume pretty low while getting most of its tone.
TeleVince The Jensen C12N, even after a few years of moderate use, still sounded too harsh for overdriven leads.

The Eminence Texas Heat, quite oppositely, was too dark and lacked presence. The bridge pick-up of my tele with tone control completely clockwise couldn't even make that speaker sound sparkly. Although, overdriven leads did sound nice.

After speaking with the Eminence tech and asking for a recommendation as to what is like the Texas Heat but with more presence, he recommended the GA-SC64. I believe it's meant to be in the same family of sound as the Jensens or something like a Weber 12F150. It has a felt dust cap though, which prevents having any high peaks in the treble frequencies. Maybe that would dull out an amp with true sparkle like a Twin Reverb, but I think it's pretty appropriate for the BJr.
Nice

Were BillM's mods assuming you'd be using the stock speaker? If so then it may well be worth going back to the stock value- assuming you're willing to do that, as you said, that'd be a lot cheaper than another speaker swap (which also isn't guaranteed to work either).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc The BillM mods were meant to be used pretty much across the board. The Eminence Texas Heat, Cannabis Rex, and Swamp Thang were all highly recommended on his website. I think he really liked his amps tailored toward the bassy side though. I believe the GA-SC64 came out after he was already sick and no longer doing BJr tests, so BillM (RIP) never reviewed that line of speakers.

Yeah, I'm going to put a 0.022uF cap back in (piece was like $2) and see what that does. It should increase the high-mid to low-mid ratio slightly.
I'm leaving in the BillM bass cap of 0.1uF though, since I'm pretty happy with the ability to dial in or out that 100Hz tone.
Yeah that's what you need to be careful of, different people have different preferences when it comes to tone. Just because they love their mods doesn't mean you will...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_McSince I already had the part, I tried just putting a 0.022 mid cap back in. Seems to have removed the muddiness. (Yay!) I do understand though why BillM recommends the 0.015. That definitely sounded fuller when clean. So, it's a trade-off: more fullness will bring more mud . Since I play more overdriven than clean songs, the less muddiness was a larger priority. (If I was playing mostly cleans, I'd probably leave the 0.015 cap in.)

Either way, increasing the bass cap was still the way to go. I'm happy with the 0.1 I have in now, but I bet a 0.047 could be a good choice compared to the stock 0.022 too.
^ Nice

And yeah different values and settings are often a tradeoff, and also depends on whether you're playing clean or distorted, as you said. what sounds thin clean will sound awesome distorted, and what sounds full clean can sound muddy distorted, as you said. that's why a lot of distortion and overdrive pedals cut the bass a lot, i think.

EDIT: sounds like you made the right call with the part you chose, picking the one you use more sounds sensible to me, at least
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?