Hey so I've been playing some stuff in CGCFAD lately (Horsewhipper- ASG, Electric Mistress & I Am The Mountain- Stoned Jesus; awesome tracks if you want to check them out), but I got a little bored and tuned to DGCFAD to play some Sabbath. Then I learned Sad But True, and now I'm looking for Metallica songs in that tuning. It's a long search, anyone know any of the top of their head? Hell it doesn't have to be Metallica, but that's the groove I'm in currently.
I don't think Metallica has any other songs in D standard I guess... at least none I've heard, besides Sad But True.

They do probably tune down their guitars a full step down from E these days live, though.

Other bands that use D Standard, well, you have Death and Pantera, possibly Children of Bodom and Dream Theater too. Don't know if you are into those bands though.
Metallica mostly use standard tuning. Sad But True, as already mentioned. Load and Reload are half step down. St. Anger record is all in drop C. They have returned to standard tuning since St. Anger.
DanyFSDanyFS Love me some Pantera. Dream Theatre is awesome but I have to develop more skill to play pretty much everything they do (I think I can get the rhythm parts for Pull Me Under, always loved the start of Glass Prison but have no idea how to do that riff). And Bodom I only have listened to a handful of songs. In Your Face is fucking cool though.
The Thing That Should Not Be is in DGCFAD.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TMoreau15
Zaphod_Beeblebr I'll have to check and see if someone tabbed it that way. I have the MoP book and it is just drop D.

I think there's a tab here on UG that is in D Standard for that song.
There's a handful on garage inc that are a full step down.
It's electric
Sabbra cadabra
Crash course in brain surgery I think
Mercyful fate
OH, yeah, that's right. Sabbra Cadabra and Crash Course are in D, but Mercyful Fate is just D#
As far as I know ,their Standard D tuned songs are like this;

Crash Course In Brain Surgery
Sad But True
Devil's Dance
Sabbra Cadabra
Dream No More

For "The Thing That Should Not Be" , I think they're using Drop D tuning. Also you can try their songs that are not in Standard D tuning for different sound tastes For me , i like to play AJFA's songs in Standard D tuning...Especially Blackened , The Shortest Straw , One and Eye of The Beholder are really sounds good in Standard D tuning...
Quote by TMoreau15
Zaphod_Beeblebr I'll have to check and see if someone tabbed it that way. I have the MoP book and it is just drop D.

Kirk playing it in D Standard.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sadly, no, except for Dream No More. But you're totally right, anything normally done in E standard sounds bad*** in D standard. Can be played faster too.
Although no one bothers to mention it in lessons I've seen online, Fade to Black is tuned to E flat standard. Not D, but close... lol
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by Prime2515102
Although no one bothers to mention it in lessons I've seen online, Fade to Black is tuned to E flat standard. Not D, but close... lol

Fade to black is in E.
Quote by esky15
Fade to black is in E.

You know what? You're right! It's slightly sharp, but it's E. That's very strange because I have a guitar magazine from around '90 (I think it's Guitar for the Practicing Musician but I'm not sure where it is now to check) that said it was in Eb. I must have been really tone deaf back then, but maybe that's why I gave up on that one - never did get it to sound right. lol
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by Prime2515102
You know what? You're right! It's slightly sharp, but it's E. That's very strange because I have a guitar magazine from around '90 (I think it's Guitar for the Practicing Musician but I'm not sure where it is now to check) that said it was in Eb. I must have been really tone deaf back then, but maybe that's why I gave up on that one - never did get it to sound right. lol

Yea I've noticed that also, it's so much worse when it's on vinyl though. I've also noticed it on some early ac/dc records also.
Quote by esky15
Death is all D standard.

This is what I was gonna say. A whole mess of sometimes groovy, sometimes technical, but always awesome riffs in that catalog. I had my first electric guitar set up in D standard when I bought it (it's got a floyd), and it's stayed there ever since. Because Death taught me how to play guitar. And Metallica. I would use a capo at the second fret to be in E when I actually played along with recordings, but then on my own I'd just play the songs in D. Sounds boss.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by umur.bayer7
As far as I know ,their Standard D tuned songs are like this;

Crash Course In Brain Surgery
Sad But True
Devil's Dance
Sabbra Cadabra
Dream No More

For "The Thing That Should Not Be" , I think they're using Drop D tuning. Also you can try their songs that are not in Standard D tuning for different sound tastes For me , i like to play AJFA's songs in Standard D tuning...Especially Blackened , The Shortest Straw , One and Eye of The Beholder are really sounds good in Standard D tuning...

This is the most accurate answer, no other studio tracks are whole step. One misconception about "Thing" is that it's whole step down, however this is only when they played it live on S&M. They also play Seek and Destroy whole step down live.
dakotaefoote
Every single video of them actually playing it is pretty clearly some standard tuning:

Even if it's not exactly D standard (I believe S&M and newer recordings are in C# to fit with Hetfield's reduced higher range since he blew out his voice back in whenever it was), but it's always been some form of standard tuning. I believe they've said on a few occasions that it was tuned down to some standard tuning following some pretty heavy Black Sabbath inspiration.

But you know... whatever flies in the face of all available evidence, that's fine

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by chrissr1203
..is there a reason noone mentioned Whiskey in the Jar?!

Because that song is always best left unmentioned?
Thing that should not be is in D on Puppets.

Live it was C# and it was hard for them to keep that tuning acurate enough. You can hear that on the Quebec 1986 and Seattle 1989.

That info came from a guitar shop interview with Kirk. The guitar Kirk played was an Aria Pro II.
TMoreau15 Sorry this is so late, but I was also looking for Metallica songs in this tuning after playing Whiskey In the Jar. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. It's a cover they did, but it's still awesome. Check out Whiskey In the Jar by Metallica.