... Do you change the strings on your full floating trem equipped guitars less often than your hardtails.

be honest, nobody will know, its a poll. or man up and discuss it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i didn't mean to start three threads, the system was acting up, so three popped up. i have deleted them my apologies.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 5, 2016,
I'm lazy about changing strings period . stopped using floyds about 8 years ago but string changing wasn't an issue at that point.
Quote by monwobobbo
I'm lazy about changing strings period . stopped using floyds about 8 years ago but string changing wasn't an issue at that point.

i am pretty bad too.

i have five trem equipped ibanez prestiges, i rotate restringing them. haha.

the freshest strings on one of my ibbys are maybe six months old... lol. i have one (or two) that haven't been restrung for at least a year.

i avoid it if i can.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup

yeah that's about my standard as well. just hate changing strings. I rarely break them and as long as the tone isn't bad and they stay in tune I figure wtf why bother. damn I'm lazy
Bob - where did my poll on this thread disappear to?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
... Do you change the strings on your full floating trem equipped guitars less often than your hardtails.

Nah -- I change the strings about the same no matter what bridge is on the guitar.
I typically replace the strings on all three of my electrics (one floyd, two hardtail) at the same time. They all get played about the same amount.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
I typically replace the strings on all three of my electrics (one floyd, two hardtail) at the same time. They all get played about the same amount.

i have twenty-two ish. that would take a while. i do one or two a month. haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I find my ZR trem is about the same, maybe easier than a regular hard tail with non locking tuners.

Block the trem with an AAA battery, string through the tuners backwards, snip off the ends, and in they go. Just tightening the locking mechanisms takes a little longer.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Not really. It depends on what guitar is the flavor of the week. The one that's flavor of the week gets new strings, regardless of if it has a Floyd or not. Though I always use the same gauge of strings and the same tuning.

Doesn't make adjusting the intonation less of a pain in the ass though. I always check and make adjustments, as even though the brand of strings and the gauge are exactly the same, there's always variances in the guitar's intonation point.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I change the strings on both my guitars(one hard tail and one floyd) pretty equally. I'm also the only person Iv'e ever met that can trash a set of string in a week. I don't know if it's my sweat or if it's to humid in my house but my stings are always getting rusty even if I clean them after each use. Buy string by the case because of how fast I burn through them. I can change my string better than I can play em'.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Wonder if this is a veiled cry for help because you were thinking about buying a prestige hardtail?

I wash my hands before picking up a guitar, so strings last quite a while. I change them when I think it's needed, hardtail or floyd. After almost 30 years of owning a guitar with a floyd, I've got to the point that string changes are pretty quick! And just like toodeepblue said, if you're not changing tuning or gauge, it's not a big deal anyways.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Once I get a trem set up and new strings on it I try not to touch the guitar too much and I tend to let strings stay on the guitar much longer than my hard tail guitars. I despise messing with a floyd/trem, but they do offer some fun that makes them worth owning. I don't mind changing the strings and doing a set up but I generally don't have a lot of extra time on hand to mess with it.
Like others have said I try to keep string gauge and tuning consistent to help with the string changes too.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
In order of my timeliness of changing strings:

Locking tuners hardtail - true simple bliss
Hardtail non-locking tuners
Floyds - but I have a system of blocking them with cardboard so it's not bad.
Strat - hardly play it so the strings are almost always junk when I pick it up - should look for some coated strings here.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Yes and I'll take it one further, I find changing strings on a Floyd to be so annoying that even though I can do it myself I usually just take it to my tech, $25 for a restring and it will be perfectly balanced and that includes the price of the new strings Im not proud of it but there you go.

TBH I own several Floyd equipped guitars so I rotate between them to make the strings last longer
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The only reason I change strings on my floating trem less is I use that particular guitar less than the other ones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm not a bitch so all my Floyd equipped guitars get string changes on the regular.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I actually want to string a guitar with a Floyd with all low E strings and tune the guitar EEEEEE and play WAKING THE DEEEEMON
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
yeah i avoid changing strings if i can too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't mind my Floyd Rose-equipped guitars. I HATE changing strings on my PRS though. Those "Wingnut" locking tuners are a pain in the ass.
Don't own anything but floyd's. Change strings whenever necessary, if you have a good process it doesn't take long.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I actually want to string a guitar with a Floyd with all low E strings and tune the guitar EEEEEE and play WAKING THE DEEEEMON

get a bunch of .070" strings and go down to drop ZZZZZZ. be a real man.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Evilnine
Yes and I'll take it one further, I find changing strings on a Floyd to be so annoying that even though I can do it myself I usually just take it to my tech, $25 for a restring and it will be perfectly balanced and that includes the price of the new strings Im not proud of it but there you go.

TBH I own several Floyd equipped guitars so I rotate between them to make the strings last longer

haha. even i am not that bad.

i do the rotate thing though. usually two trem guitars have good strings at a time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have a Washburn Parallaxe PXM10 (I believe that is the right model) that I've had for a year and haven't changed the strings on it yet... It is my first and only Floyd equipped guitar and I am scared I'll screw it all up even though I've seen it done a few times. Granted I haven't played it exclusively (it gets thrown in the normal rotation!) so the strings aren't TOO bad yet, but they could definitely be changed haha.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
I have a Washburn Parallaxe PXM10 (I believe that is the right model) that I've had for a year and haven't changed the strings on it yet... It is my first and only Floyd equipped guitar and I am scared I'll screw it all up even though I've seen it done a few times. Granted I haven't played it exclusively (it gets thrown in the normal rotation!) so the strings aren't TOO bad yet, but they could definitely be changed haha.

I love my Parallaxe PXM10, if you read the tutorials or watch some on you tube you will be able to swap them out and not lose the guitars mojo especially if you stay with the same gage strings, if you go up or down a gage then you will need to do some adjusting on the tremolo spring tension and posiibly need to adjust intonation as well. You may as well jump in and learn to do it, it's not terribly difficult just time consuming.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
I love my Parallaxe PXM10, if you read the tutorials or watch some on you tube you will be able to swap them out and not lose the guitars mojo especially if you stay with the same gage strings, if you go up or down a gage then you will need to do some adjusting on the tremolo spring tension and posiibly need to adjust intonation as well. You may as well jump in and learn to do it, it's not terribly difficult just time consuming.

You are the reason I bought my Parallaxe Saw your NGD post about it and fell in love with it. Yeah I know everything will work out fine once I finally decide to jump in and restring her, but part lazyness and part "I've never done this before" is keeping me from it haha.
Quote by monwobobbo
I'm lazy about changing strings period
This!

But to answer the original question on the thread, I'm definitely lazier about string changes on my one floating trem guitar (The DK2M). But part of that is probably due to the fact I've gravitated back towards non-floating trem guitars these days. Love having fun w/the trems - hate dialing them in for an ideal setup.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by Dinglebuttz

honestly there is nothing overly scary about it. if you use the same gauge strings, its simple, just one string at a time.

___

i am just lazy and don't feel like it.

youtube is your friend.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I don't change them as much only because I don't play those guitars as much. They kind of have a "Special Purpose" in my rig.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
i get the special purpose thing... lol. but a man has gotta use a floyd once in a while.

---------

i have too many guitars to keep fresh strings on, however i think that is self-induced. lmfao.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
honestly there is nothing overly scary about it. if you use the same gauge strings, its simple, just one string at a time.

I've mostly stopped doing it that way. I find it's easier and faster to pull all the strings, yank the bridge, and put new strings into the bridge *outside* the guitar (less chance of dinging the guitar, too). It also gives you a chance to clean the guitar, check the knife edges and lube them. Then you just hook up the springs, take up the slack in the strings (large strings first, natch) and tune. After the first couple of times, it goes quickly.

I don't really have the luxury of being prissy about changing strings on Floyds; my most-used guitars are five LP-style guitars and two JTV-89Fs, all with Floyds.

As guitarkid8 notes, "Change strings whenever necessary, if you have a good process it doesn't take long. "
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Bob - where did my poll on this thread disappear to?

the web gremlin probably was changing his strings and was to busy to put up your poll.
Quote by dspellman
I've mostly stopped doing it that way. I find it's easier and faster to pull all the strings, yank the bridge, and put new strings into the bridge *outside* the guitar (less chance of dinging the guitar, too). It also gives you a chance to clean the guitar, check the knife edges and lube them. Then you just hook up the springs, take up the slack in the strings (large strings first, natch) and tune. After the first couple of times, it goes quickly.

I don't really have the luxury of being prissy about changing strings on Floyds; my most-used guitars are five LP-style guitars and two JTV-89Fs, all with Floyds.

As guitarkid8 notes, "Change strings whenever necessary, if you have a good process it doesn't take long. "

Same here I usually yank them all and give then neck a good cleaning occasionally if the neck looks nice and clean I change them one at a time.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

all my guitars have FRs

all two of them
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I change them more often on my trem guitars because I feel like the feel of the strings dies earlier on them. Not sure if its placebo or somethin though
OFR's and Fr1000's are indeed quicker than some of my Ibanez edges where you have to fuck around more. some are the same though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by monwobobbo
the web gremlin probably was changing his strings and was to busy to put up your poll.

haha. get that gremlin moving

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Of all my Floyd guitars one has a cheap trem stopp on it if I adjust it to touch the sustain block before changing strings it helps, I really should put on on my other guitars then maybe I wouldn't mind changing strings and save some money.

I have one Kahler equipped guitar and I love it! It has a small set screw in the back of the baseplate that can be used to make it a fixed bridge which is great for restringing but also great for just making it a fixed bridge for playing.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge