Hello fellow UG people,

After a couple of years of being away with work im finally home and have decided to get myself a new amp. Ive only ever owned a rubbish seconhand squier 5 watt thing so an upgrade is needed!!

My budget is around £300 which I know isnt a great deal but Im also in the middle of moving house. Anyway I mainly play sabbath, metallica with a bit of stones, pink floyd and zepplin thrown in as well. Ive been looking at the micro dark with the matching cab and a boss mt2 metal pedal.

Now my questions to you good people who will know a lot more than me are:

1) Would it be better to get a bigger cab than the orange 1x8 im looking at?? (will mostly be playing at home or round a friends so volume isnt important but tone is

2) The micro dark is a 1 channel amp does this mean a pedal like the boss mt2 or fullbore mxr would be too much overdrive/distortion??

3) Any other amp suggestions? I know that unless a mesa boogie drops out the sky I will never get that metallica tone fully, but has anyone used the tone city model b pedal?? (think its boogie based)

4) Should I spend what I can on amp and cab etc rather than a pedal as I know that tone is should be driven from the amp mainly rather than pedals??

Sorry for so many questions but ive been out of the loop for a while now so any help will be appreciated!!!!!
Hey man!

I would suggest you go down the following two paths:

1-Get an okay Solid State Amp that has a nice clean tone, probably in the 75-100 watt region, and get a good distortion pedal. In terms of pedals, I'd really recommend the ProCo Rat 2. I've played a lot of Boss pedals and a I wailed on an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff for ages too but I'm totally converted to the ProCo Rat 2 now. Should be especially good for the Sabbath, Metallica vibe but it has a responsive distortion and filter nob which means you can still run it nicely on a low distortion.

2-Get a head and a 2 x 12 cab. With a 1 x 8 cab your probably not going to notice that much difference between the crappy squire you were running through before. The distortion you get on a tube head is far better (IMO anway) than a solid state amp but obviously the price goes up significantly.

If your budget centric though i'd suggest that solid state with good pedal combo. You can get some really cool solid state amps now, e.g.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-champion-100-combo-guitar-amplifier

With the above you could also afford a ProCo Rat and you'd have a beast of a tone. If your set on a head and cab combo I'd recommend waiting and upping the budget. I recently picked up a Marshall DSL100H and 1960B 4x12 cab on finance and it sets me back like £60 a month. No regrets at all though as it sounds beastly. But it's all about context. I bought my amp with gigging in mind. Solid state is much better suited towards home practice, although a decent 100 watt solid state should easily do you for gigging too!
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
I have no experience with Orange.

I'd go with a good inexpensive modeling amp like the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 - you want a 12" speaker. The high gain tones are good and check out the Budda tones for lighter rock stuff.

If you want a versatile tube amp, how much is a Laney IronHeart Studio15 in your market?

You can also get great tones from amp sims on your computer these days for not much money. Get an inexpensive instrument to USB interface and plug your laptop/iPad into a powered speaker like an active wedge monitor.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
how quietly do you have to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the responses guys. In terms of volume at the moment would need to be fairly low as just moving into a new house and dont want to f**k the neighbours off just yet. Luckily I work shifts so I do get time off when nobody is around.

Am I right in thinking that for low volumes a tube amp is better as it can be driven harder etc?

Ive decided Im going to up my budget to an absolute max of £400 and Im torn between the micro terror or the micro dark with a 1x12 cab and maybe the mxr fullbore or the blackstar ht1 metal head with the 1x12 cab.

Anyone had any use with the above??? So many choices its hurting my head!!!
Can't you do Orange Tiny Terror with say 1x12 cab head instead? I like these a lot better, there's something buzzy on the smaller solid state Orange models that I don't particularly like.
If you're set on solid state amps, look up Yamaha THR and DV Mark.
Quote by Barnett1980
Cheers for the responses guys. In terms of volume at the moment would need to be fairly low as just moving into a new house and dont want to f**k the neighbours off just yet. Luckily I work shifts so I do get time off when nobody is around.

Am I right in thinking that for low volumes a tube amp is better as it can be driven harder etc?

Ive decided Im going to up my budget to an absolute max of £400 and Im torn between the micro terror or the micro dark with a 1x12 cab and maybe the mxr fullbore or the blackstar ht1 metal head with the 1x12 cab.

Anyone had any use with the above??? So many choices its hurting my head!!!

I'd say for low volumes a solid state would be better every time. The natural break-up distortion that you get from tubes, which is essentially the holy grail distortion sound, only comes from driving your amp hard and that means volume.

A solid state or modelling amp sounds perfect for your situation, many of them even have aux cables so you can play with headphones etc.
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
^ it really depends on exactly how quietly you have to play, and exactly what type(s) of distortion tones you're after. What you're saying is correct if you want classic rock tones and you have to play at whisper volume. If you want modern high gain distortion tones and can play at home cinema volumes, then the choice is less obvious. High gain distortion generally comes from the preamp- it'll still sound better louder, but you don't need it to be deafening to sound good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rich.bendall
I'd say for low volumes a solid state would be better every time. The natural break-up distortion that you get from tubes, which is essentially the holy grail distortion sound, only comes from driving your amp hard and that means volume.

A solid state or modelling amp sounds perfect for your situation, many of them even have aux cables so you can play with headphones etc.

bullshit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
bullshit.

Good chat, maybe expand your point a little?
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
^ i guess maybe he figured he didn't have to because i'd already more or less (I assume, I don't want to put words into his mouth) said what he wanted to?

Quote by diabolical
Well the new small tube lunchbox amps can do whisper quiet as well, I just tested the EVH 5150III and the Peavey 6505 lunchbox amps don't really need to be cranked. Lots of other low volume solutions.

yeah, there are plenty of tube amps which sound good turned down. granted, some don't do so well, and as i said above, it does depend very much on exactly what you mean by "turned down"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?