Hi everyone. I'm about to buy a tube amp and I'm considering these two combos. I've never had a tube amp before. I need an amp for band practice small gigs and playing in home. My preferable choice is the HT 60, but I'm afraid it would be simply too loud for bedroom practice. What do you think? Maybe there is something better in this price range (im looking for a combo) I mostly play metal so high gain is much appreciated but it would be nice to have a good clean too.
Thanks.
Both of them are capable of excellent tone at low volumes; the key is to realize that it will take a different approach to EQing at low volumes vs. high volumes, due to the way our ears perceive sound (all amps tend to sound better to us at louder volumes). Getting right in front of the speaker by either crouching down or lifting the amp up or tilting it so it's pointing at your head will also aid in low volume tone. Anyway, amps like these two get their tone from the preamp which absolutely DOES NOT need to be cranked to get its tone.

And, having owned the 6505+ 112 for about 6 years now and having played the HT 60 a handful of times, I can tell you the 6505 will RAPE that Blackstar without even breaking a sweat. Could be my biased opinion though, as tone is entirely subjective.
Just so you know, the HT60 is not all tube. It is a hybrid that has solid state circuitry in the guitar's signal path. I think the HT amps sound pretty mediocre.

The 6505 combo is an awesome modding platform though. The clean channel on them isn't great, but a few preamp tube swaps can help with this. There are a wide variety of mods you can do with that amp to make it sound far better on all fronts. Clean and high gain. Something to think about down the road. You can start off by putting a Celestion V30 speaker in it and running a clean boost. For what those amps sell for used, its a bit of a no-brainer.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^ yeah if you only care how it sounds it doesn't matter (i guess) but if you want a genuinely all-tube amp (which is your prerogative), then the Blackstar HT, er, isn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thx for the info. what about Marshall DSL40? I guess it has a better clean and its more versatile than 6505. I also found used JCM 2000 TSL 602, what do you think about them?
If you are looking the route of Marshall I would keep an eye out for the DSL 401, it is the combo version of the older JCM 2000. I was not a fan of the newer DSL series. Looking for the older JCM DSLs is your best bet.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I played the HT-60 at GC over the weekend at was awful. From the goofy cheap plastic knobs all the way to the sound, it seemed choked and squashed with the Ibanez that I used. I thought it'd be a decent amp but that was BAD. Kinda reminded me of the Marshall Haze.

In comparison to that the 6505 mini head through EVH 2x12 sounded fantastic.
DSL40C is a good amp, granted the 401 is better but the new one has a bit more modern gain, still worth trying out.
If you are considering the Marshall for metal tones, that's what the Crunch button on the 6505+ does. Turn up the gain and you have thrash. I haven't played a Blackstar so no comment on that one.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah if you only care how it sounds it doesn't matter (i guess) but if you want a genuinely all-tube amp (which is your prerogative), then the Blackstar HT, er, isn't.
the HT is just like having an OD pedal in front of a tube amp. Not a big deal, and sound good to many folks.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
The Blackstar HT-60 (like most of the larger HT series) is a darker amp, tends to like active or high output pickups. A sonic stomp will add in higher frequencies at bedroom volume levels. Not a bad amp but with some of the amps that have come out recently, you have a ton of choices in that price range (see below). Not a pedal friendly amp for overdrives, IMO. Probably doesn't like the gain in front of the amp, but a clean boost works. Sweetwater had the HT-20 brand new at $349, so they are definitely blowing them out.

The 6505+ will take overdrives much better. I am not a fan of the tone, but that is totally subjective and they have been extremely popular for a long time. There are so many amps from the new Peavey mini heads, to Engl, Panama and Randall heads. You really have so many choices now, I doubt you would go with the Blackstar after trying others. If you want to spend more money I saw a Friedman Runt 20 head on Reverb for $1,000, which is a good deal. I know it is a lot more money but it is a great amp, especially considering a full size Friedman is $2-$3k.

Hope this helps. If you tell us the price range, country, and type of metal, you will get some good feedback.
Quote by 8Len8
the HT is just like having an OD pedal in front of a tube amp. Not a big deal, and sound good to many folks.

there is more than that in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 8Len8

no, it's not. it also has a solid state phase inverter, which an od pedal won't do with a genuinely all-tube amp.

Now, if you like how it sounds, that's fair enough, obviously that's opinion, but it's not "just the same" as running an od pedal into the front of the amp, either, and that's not opinion, that's fact- and that's before you consider that you can turn an OD pedal off, and also try a bunch and buy the one you like best, with a genuinely all-tube amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know what they've done to that amp, I just tried it two days ago and it just seemed that the design was just not right, the tone stack or whatever wasn't centered properly. Tried it through high end Ibanez with active p/ups and a humbucker PRS SE, sounded horrible on both. Dull and overcooked at the same time, a bit buzzy. Ugh...
i still haven't tried one

problem is i doubt i could give it an objective try-out

though i guess that's the case with a lot of gear
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no, it's not. it also has a solid state phase inverter, which an od pedal won't do with a genuinely all-tube amp.

Now, if you like how it sounds, that's fair enough, obviously that's opinion, but it's not "just the same" as running an od pedal into the front of the amp, either, and that's not opinion, that's fact- and that's before you consider that you can turn an OD pedal off, and also try a bunch and buy the one you like best, with a genuinely all-tube amp.

+1. dave has it right on the opinion vs. fact point.

if you like it, it doesn't change the fact that it is hybrid. it is still hybrid.

___

i have plugged into a few blackstar amps, and i felt they were on the bland side to say the least. they aren't my thing.

8Len8 if you like it, good. get one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ yeah. i mean, the only blackstar i've tried was the artisan 15, and i wasn't that keen on it, and it is all-tube. granted- i tried it with vintage 30s which i'm not sure suit that style of amp, and also it has no master volume which means 15 watts are very loud so not much use for me. but yeah. i just mean i'm not trying to suggest that the HT is necessarily bad because it's hybrid, nor that all tube amps are good or that i like all all-tube amps. but the HT-series is still hybrid, and it's not "just the same" as putting a tubescreamer in front of a genuinely all-tube amp. that's all. i think people have the right to know what they're buying, so that they can make an informed decision.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?