Hey guys, I have looking into getting an overdrive pedal, I'm relatively new with pedals so I thought I would seek your advises and suggestions. I'm into a lot of old school thrash (early Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Annihilator, Overkill,etc.) and wanted to get that tightness they get with their tone. My rig now consists of a Prs Mark Tremonti SE (with EMG hetsets), a Laney Cub12r, and a Joyo high gain distortion pedal. Yes I know a single channel clean amp isn't best suited for metal but it was the best and most affordable I could find used considering my location (U.A.E or Dubai as most of you would know). The 2nd hand market is very limited, and the stores here are really overpriced. I have the option to order a ts-9 on ebay and pay the shipping fee (still cheaper than the ones in this market) or if you guys could suggest any good clones or any other overdrive pedal that would be appreciated. I don't mind 2nd hand gear if I could find the pedal you suggest, my budget would be the price of the ts-9(around $120-130 with shipping) but that would take a month or two of saving. So if you know of any cheaper models which do the job please do suggest. The built quality doesn't matter as it would be used at home and for jam sessions.
i haven't tried your laney, but how heavy does it get on its own? using a ts or similar as a boost works well if the amp has nearly enough dirt on its own.

fwiw personally i might prefer a boss sd1 for those tones (it's still tubescreamerish in tone and design, but sounds a bit different- more edge and not just as honky and smooth). but a lot of it is preference. EDIT: boss sd1s sometimes have bypass bleed, though, which is annoying. there's a cheaper daphon clone of it, but it's not always that much cheaper...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To be honest with an amp like a Laney cub I don't think it would matter what kind of overdrive pedal you put in front of it, it will not do Overkill.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The Laney can gets crunchy at max gain, although i haven't really cranked up the volume, so I usually keep it clean and use the distortion pedal. I was planning to stack the OD with the distortion pedal, and i really cant see myself getting any of those bands tones with my budget and rig, but anywhere close to it would be nice
Last edited by nemo178 at Dec 6, 2016,
^ I haven't tried it but i've heard some internet talk (which might be BS) that the 12R's preamp is more or less a JCM800. If that's true (and it might not be), it might do the early thrash stuff ok with a boost, but might be struggling for the later stuff (i'm not familiar with overkill or annihilator ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I don't much about the preamp in either of the amps, but I have played on the JCM 800 in a jam studio, and the tones aren't even comparable. The laney does decent cleans, but at high gain it just sounds more fuzzy and noisy and I haven't really got a decent tone out of it. Again I'm new with pedals so a noob question:- Stack the OD with Distortion pedal or Ditch the distortion pedal and just get an overdrive pedal? The joyo gets me a decent tone for its price tbh, not much variety though.
ok I'd try a Digitech CM-2 overdrive for what you want. they are out of production can can still be had fairly cheap used. it features a boost switch that ups the gain. you'd have to use it as an overdrive instead of a boost but I think that would get you into acceptable thrash tones. your amp would have to be set for at least some gain t make it work. Fulltone OCD might be a better option though.
I'd check out some of the other Joyo pedals in your situation. For just an overdrive you would want the Joyo Vintage Overdrive.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by nemo178
Well I don't much about the preamp in either of the amps, but I have played on the JCM 800 in a jam studio, and the tones aren't even comparable. The laney does decent cleans, but at high gain it just sounds more fuzzy and noisy and I haven't really got a decent tone out of it. Again I'm new with pedals so a noob question:- Stack the OD with Distortion pedal or Ditch the distortion pedal and just get an overdrive pedal? The joyo gets me a decent tone for its price tbh, not much variety though.

ah ok

it's really up to you- if you like the joyo (it's more or less a marshall shredmaster, i think), for all you'd get for selling it, maybe it'd be handier to keep it. you could then try an od pedal into it to boost it a bit.

i thought mine sounded decent but i couldn't really find a use for it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The BBE overdrives are really good for the price, so maybe look at G Screamer or the Green Screamer which is right along the lines of the TS-9.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/BBE/Green-Screamer-Overdrive-Effect-Pedal-112632235.gc
The Delta Labs TO-1 is great, there's very little noticeable difference between it and a TS-9 for about half the cost. I hear a bit more crunch and it gets a little bit more of that "wah" sound in the mids than the TS-9, but it's very minor.
Quote by diabolical
The BBE overdrives are really good for the price, so maybe look at G Screamer or the Green Screamer which is right along the lines of the TS-9.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/BBE/Green-Screamer-Overdrive-Effect-Pedal-112632235.gc

i'm not sure what prices are like in dubai, but i know that in europe for some reason BBE stuff is actually pretty dear. good value in the USA, but not necessarily good value elsewhere (like a lot of stuff, unfortunately ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?