Over the weekend I found a store that had them back to back. I'd have to say that I was more impressed by the stock Mark V.
Didn't care for the second eq much, and the Petrucci model just seemed a bit more buzzy and messy whereas the stock was tighter.
Thoughts?
I never thought the extra EQ was needed/worth it tbh.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
love MK Vs but they have a fair bit of a learning curve to get the most out of them.
Most of the graphic EQ setups on those amps really don't add much; the bands they cover are too spread out for most guitar use. They need to be a bit finer-grain.
I see them as final eq but honestly, I usually disable these and maybe use as a broad mid-boost for leads.

I am still baffled to this day what some people find so hard to dial in on a Mesa. I was up and running with some amazing tones within 10 minutes or less, on all 3 channels.
To be fair, the Petrucci amp is supposed to be more like a IIC+, less like a V.

I think the graphic EQ is pretty important to getting a nice high gain tone, but honestly at this point they could probably just voice the higher gain channels a bit differently and it would be fine. I never used the EQ for the other channels on my III or my IV, but it was definitely useful on the lead channel.

I agree though, not as necessary for more low to mid-gain times, and definitely not worth a second EQ.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If I'm being quite honest I've never been as crazy for the IIC+ tone, so I have a feeling I'd be in the same boat as you. The Mark V gets it so right. IMO it's the best amp they currently make.
I have the mark v 25 and I really like the IIC+ tone, but I am probably unique in that I like it and the IV better than the extreme. Phenomenal amp for quality, tone and flexibility.

Interesting to hear about the JP-2C, wasn't really that interested in it when it came out, good to see real life feedback.
If the IV mode is anything close to the real deal, I'm sure it sounds great. The IV lead is still my favorite for general licks and tricks. It just begs to be played.
i love my MKIV. i will snipe a MKiii up someday.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I for the most part am a sucker for all things Mesa, even though my ideal rhythm tone is a cranked Marshall on 11 through 1960a cab and the Orange gharly throaty rasp in the opposite channel. My ideal lead tone is probably Mesa or Soldano though, and clean will probably be Mesa since I can't afford a Matchless just so I can have a godly clean tone. The Mesa gets close enough.
Quote by diabolical
I for the most part am a sucker for all things Mesa, even though my ideal rhythm tone is a cranked Marshall on 11 through 1960a cab and the Orange gharly throaty rasp in the opposite channel. My ideal lead tone is probably Mesa or Soldano though, and clean will probably be Mesa since I can't afford a Matchless just so I can have a godly clean tone. The Mesa gets close enough.

i think Cath's answer to that would be an RM100... lol.

m fryette sig;x does a lot for me, only lacking the orange tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
RM100 - loved them when they came out and still like them but there's no support and Randall has totally moved on, so I'd be vary to have one, even though I have a really good amp tech.

The Sig X is definitely an amp that ticks all these boxes, but I think I like the Mesa gain a bit more...not that I'd be opposed of owning one. It's on my dream amp list.
Quote by dementiacaptain
To be fair, the Petrucci amp is supposed to be more like a IIC+, less like a V.

The Petrucci isn't like a IIC+, it is a IIC+, but with some extra bits added (like the second EQ).
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by Prime2515102
The Petrucci isn't like a IIC+, it is a IIC+, but with some extra bits added (like the second EQ).

Well yeah that's what I was getting at, but the IIC+ didn't have footswitchable channels right? Not that it changes the tone but I figure that's a huge upgrade.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Well yeah that's what I was getting at, but the IIC+ didn't have footswitchable channels right? Not that it changes the tone but I figure that's a huge upgrade.

Well you done schooled me! lol I didn't realize the IIC+ was a one channel amp. So the JP-2C is a IIC+ with an extra channel along with the other added bits. Thanks

Edit: From what I've read, the two channels are identical though (same tone stack, same gain levels, etc.).
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 8, 2016,
Well it has 3 channels, clean, classic IIC+ and the "lead" channel. Mesa CLAIMS that it is indeed different, but without a schematic we can't say for sure. Even if they are different, the way it's described makes it seem like it's a subtle difference
Quote by dementiacaptain
Well it has 3 channels, clean, classic IIC+ and the "lead" channel. Mesa CLAIMS that it is indeed different, but without a schematic we can't say for sure. Even if they are different, the way it's described makes it seem like it's a subtle difference

Oops, I knew it had 3... lol Man, I need to stop posting in here with no sleep...

What I meant was, the two overdrive channels are identical (this is according to John Pretrucci in his demo video). Or maybe I'm not remembering it right. I'm going to bed. lol
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 8, 2016,
Well if you like the V more than the new JP-2C, maybe the real IIc+ tone isn't for you? Lots of different reviews that say the IIc+ mode on the V is not the same as a real IIc+. And nothing wrong with preferring the mark V, tone is subjective.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Yeah as I mentioned, I've never been particularly blown away by the IIC+. It sounds good, but I like the Mark III and Mark IV lead better.
Ok, so I happen to own both an original Mesa IIc+ and the new JP-2C (and have used both extensively).

The original IIc+ has two channels; you could even change between them with a footswitch. BUT, they had the same treble, bass, etc. knobs, which made it really hard to deal with, since your clean channel and lead channel sound radicallly different but have the same EQ. This is like 90% of why my JP-2C gets played more than my IIc+.

Also, channel 2 and 3 on the JP-2C aren't identical but are nearly identical. The original IIc+ had two pre-amp volume knobs (volume 1 and lead drive). Since that's kinda dumb (though, yes, they sound different since they're at different points in the amp), the JP-2C did away with volume 1 and set Channel 2 Volume 1 at 7 and Channel 3 Volume 1 at 9. This means that Channel 3 of the JP-2C has a touch more gain. (There are a couple other minor differences, mainly around the presence knob being different)

I personally absolutely LOVE the IIc+ tone. And having played the iic+ against the JP-2C, it absolutely nails the sound (I'd say the JP-2C is a little more aggressive, but otherwise very, very similar). It definitely can't do super modern metal (I'd go with a Mark IV or Rectifier for the rhythm there), but with a lot of boost, it has some fantastic rhythm tones and if you set the lead right it can do more of a soaring lead. Definitely a different voicing than the Mark IV. And I'd also highly recommend if you try it again, set up the graphic EQ as a V and then mess about with the rightmost two sliders; just changing them can radically change the tone (some people like the 2200 slider higher than the 6600; it's a bit less sharp).
I'd have to agree with you. I like my Mark V more than the Petrucci model, as well. It's been a while since I've tried the original IIC+, so I can't say how close they sound, but I never use the IIC+ setting on my Mark V, so maybe it's just not my thing
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by diabolical
RM100 - loved them when they came out and still like them but there's no support and Randall has totally moved on, so I'd be vary to have one, even though I have a really good amp tech.

You can still buy new boutique modules for them though. They are a very solid amp with a great power amp. You shouldn't have any problems with it.
I have a Mark 2 card and it rocks. Although the Jaded Faith SLO cards are my favourite.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification