I guess I had some free time over the weekend and went out to some guitar stores.
One of the places I went to (Guitar Center) had a really sad selection of amps and these were the only interesting amps they had on offer, so I plugged in. I put them through the EVH 2x12 cab which was the only decent cab around them.

First impression was that both of these heads are very similarly voiced. The 6505 is looser and a touch noisier, with more gain on tap. It also seemed to have the smiley head eq curve to its sound, where you had to dial back in mids on the eq to get the the 5150III in a flat eq setting. The 5150III was a bid more midrangey and had a better balanced to its tone, a bit less abrasive.

The clean channel on the 5150III is better but I am not sure how they designed the thing, as it shares all the knobs with the dirty channel. With the eq and resonance, etc. I could somewhat agree that it could be done, but in this case it also used the gain, which if you want a clean and dirty sound with no switching - sorry, but it can't be done. Real nickel and dime cost cutting here...makes me thing that under the hood this is really one channel amp with a tone stack switch instead of a 2 channel amp. The 6505 on the other hand is a two channel, but the clean is of course more akin to crunch on other amps.

For the buck, my money is still on the Peavey amp. If the 5150III had the second gain and master volume it would've been the better amp, but as is...not so sure. Maybe in a recording situation I would prefer it as it sounded a bit more focused and the switching is really not an issue in that case.

I played both at the higher settings 15 watt and 20 watt.
interesting comparison, thanks for posting!

i thought the 5150 iii 15 watt was a one channel job, when i checked it out.
interassting. i haven't tried either. i am currently wanting an orange OR now though, tempted to pick up the OR15 in the interim, but really want the OR100. fuck me.

i did try the peavy VKmini thing and it didn't really impress me for the money. but it was better than past VK generations.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I almost picked OR15 this weekend but I talked myself out of it as I really need a 100 watter (maybe can get away with 50 but pushing it) as I am about to gig again and need to have serious stage power, at least half stack and other people will carry it so that's good.
Quote by diabolical
I almost picked OR15 this weekend but I talked myself out of it as I really need a 100 watter (maybe can get away with 50 but pushing it) as I am about to gig again and need to have serious stage power, at least half stack and other people will carry it so that's good.

i went back today thinking about the OR15 and walked out the door with a snare drum. but i do like the snare, and it was my first piccolo snare. lol.

however the snare was much cheaper.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i went back today thinking about the OR15 and walked out the door with a snare drum. but i do like the snare, and it was my first piccolo snare. lol.

however the snare was much cheaper.

you should've said *drumroll*
Try again with good tubes in them. I just bought a 5150III LBX and almost sent it back. I decided to swap out the tubes first just to see and it transformed the amp into something rather beautiful - and that was only the 12AX7's, I haven't swapped the power tubes yet.

JJ's suck and that's all there is to it.

Any idea what tubes come stock in the Peavey?
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
I'd guess Shuguang...but not sure. The amp didn't sound bad, quite the opposite, but was limited by the use of the controls of the 1st channel on the second channel as well, in other words if you do a gig you can't switch sounds as the gain and eq will stay in the same position unless you constantly move the knobs around.
I didn't think it sounded bad necessarily, I just expected a lot more from it I guess. After changing the tubes, it's now what I expected.

The thing about the LBX is that if you haven't done so yet, you'll have to learn to make extensive use of the volume control on your guitar. It's essentially a one channel amp with a massive boost.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude