Hi everybody.
Right, before I speak about the details, I'll quickly say that I am TUNING AN OCTAVE LOWER and I'm aware of the tuning peg sizes/bridge hole sizes problem, so nothing to worry about.
So I have a fretless, and I currently have a daddario gauge on it (24w; 34; 44; 56; 72; 84) but I want to put on ernie ball 6 string bass guitar gauge (20w; 30; 42; 54; 74; 90). I'm worried about tension: which of these two gauges will exerts more tension, because the bridge is a fragile right now (guitar's old).
Anybody know?
Thanks.
Thanks for providing the link, but this question goes for standard guitars or bass. It's just calculating the tension, because I'm not sure about the math (what units to use for string mass, for example).
Quote by jzRTCAQ!PY13575
Hi everybody.
Right, before I speak about the details, I'll quickly say that I am TUNING AN OCTAVE LOWER and I'm aware of the tuning peg sizes/bridge hole sizes problem, so nothing to worry about.
So I have a fretless, and I currently have a daddario gauge on it (24w; 34; 44; 56; 72; 84) but I want to put on ernie ball 6 string bass guitar gauge (20w; 30; 42; 54; 74; 90). I'm worried about tension: which of these two gauges will exerts more tension, because the bridge is a fragile right now (guitar's old).
Anybody know?
Thanks.
Is tuning a freltess bass an octave lower a normal thing? I am confused. I imagine that an octave lower you wouldn't have to worry about tension at all- the strings will just flop on the fretboard like a wet noodle. Plus if your bridge is bad, you need to get the bridge fixed, not try to work around it.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 7, 2016,
Roughly the same, maybe a little less with the new strings. Just put them on and look at the neck relief to see the difference.
Ahhh no i should have been more precise : it's a normal 6 string fretless, not a bass, so for strings of this size it's best to tube down an octave.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Dec 8, 2016,