Picked up what is supppsed to be an American strat. The serial number dates it to 1998. What's throwing me for a loop is the truss rod access and the fact that it is 21 frets. Everything else seems to check out. I'll take it apart once I get home, but I figured I would ask here in the mean time.

nope. no walnut plug on neck is a dead giveaway. fender sticker is wrong, wrong saddles. oh and the pickups are wrong as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
nope. no walnut plug on neck is a dead giveaway. fender sticker is wrong, wrong saddles. oh and the pickups are wrong as well.

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
either it's the camera doing a fish eye thing or the headstock isn't shaped correctly, imo. aside what these fine genitals said.

and the waterslide decal isn't where it should be.

damn auto correct.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
my genitals only talk to ladies.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo

Yup, you nailed it. It was 6:45am out in the freezing cold, so clearly my mind wasn't working right. I lucked out because I got a Peavey 5150 head with it for $400 total. Hopefully I can get something back for the guitar, but even if not that's not a terrible price for the amp.
It's definitely a partscaster of some sort, but if you got a 5150 head with it, and only spent $400, you still did pretty well.

This is a good example of why I'm always extra cautious/paranoid when looking at listings for used MIA Fenders!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
providing that 5150 head has no issues, you scored large.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The head is in really nice shape. To me, it made sense that the strat and head went together, though I realize a strat isn't a typical metal guitar. I'm talking to a guy locally about trading the guitar, and I've fully disclosed everything that was mentioned here. Sounds like I'll be able to get enough value back so that it ends up a wash. Thanks everyone for your feedback.