I've got a guitar that is a solid body electric but has a tune o Matic style bridge saddle on a wooden base (almost like what you see on archtops). Problem is the bridge slides around when you push it hard enough as it isn't glued to the guitar at all. I checked under the wooden part and it looks like it has never been glued down.

As I've never used these bridges before I was wondering if I should glue it down or if they're meant to be able to shift around?
There are guitars like that where the bridge is not attached to the body. If you are having problems with it moving you might need to try a higher gauge set of strings so there will be more tension to hold it down (or don't play so hard lol). You can glue it to the body but be sure you know exactly where to glue it so it can be properly intonated (if you do glue it, you might be taking a chunk off any resale value it might have).
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 8, 2016,
Does the bottom of the wooden bridge match the contour of the guitar body? If someone stuck an archtop-type bridge that only made contact on the very ends, I could see how it would be really unstable on a flat-top electric. I've never had a problem with this kind of bridge moving around on my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollowbody, but the bridge and guitar body contours are pretty much a perfect match. Personally, I've never come across a moveable wooden TOM bridge on anything but a hollowbody or semi-hollowbody, but maybe that's how your guitar came from the factory. Out of curiousity, what make and model of guitar is this?
Last edited by jds2 at Dec 8, 2016,