Hey there!
So I own a 6505MH, which I absolutely love, the sound is simply crushing!
However, I wish to put a nice drive pedal in front, to ease the highs harshness, add some nice saturation, and still retain my tone (the magic that a good od pedal do to a high gain beast).
So far I've looked into the obvious maxon od808, the ts9 and ts mini, but I just can't compare them (they don't sell the maxon and the ts mini in my country), so I really need your suggestions and comparison if someone here has that gear.
For the record: I'm playing a Schecter blackjack sls into a 6505MH with a 2×12 messa cab.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
The Maxon and the TS9 are practically the same pedal - as in they are both going to boost the signal in the same way so picking one over the other won't really change how your amp is boosted. Tube screamer type pedals boost the mids, tighten up the low end and provide added saturation to the distortion.

I have a Caline Pure Sky which is a Timmy type OD clone, I prefer it over a TS type pedal as it has separate treble and bass controls and works really well on dialing some of the top end fizz out of my Mesa as well as thickening/tightening up the distortion.
My favorite boost/OD pedal right now is the Budda Zenman. It is a clean boost and an overdrive pedal in 1 case with 2 footswitches.

For the overdrive part of the pedal you have Vintage (bass cut, mid hump) and Phat (still tons of bass) modes. It's really versatile. I was playing around with my 5150 a few days ago as the final test run before it sold and I was getting some great heavy tones with the 5150 set to CLEAN channel, crunch OFF, and gain around 6-7 - Zenman on Phat with the gain up around 7 and the level up as well - it was surprisingly a great heavy sound.

You can also use the Zenman like any other tubescreamer with the gain down and level up.

On the cheap I also have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive (also sold has the Harley Benton house brand in Europe) which is a clone of the Maxon and works great for what it does. It was $35 new.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Fulltone FD-2 or maybe a timmy?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by guitarsngear
The Maxon and the TS9 are practically the same pedal - as in they are both going to boost the signal in the same way so picking one over the other won't really change how your amp is boosted. Tube screamer type pedals boost the mids, tighten up the low end and provide added saturation to the distortion.

I have a Caline Pure Sky which is a Timmy type OD clone, I prefer it over a TS type pedal as it has separate treble and bass controls and works really well on dialing some of the top end fizz out of my Mesa as well as thickening/tightening up the distortion.

Ok, so between the maxon and the ts, they'll sound abou the same.
About the pure sky, how does it compare in price?

Quote by metalmingee
My favorite boost/OD pedal right now is the Budda Zenman. It is a clean boost and an overdrive pedal in 1 case with 2 footswitches.

For the overdrive part of the pedal you have Vintage (bass cut, mid hump) and Phat (still tons of bass) modes. It's really versatile. I was playing around with my 5150 a few days ago as the final test run before it sold and I was getting some great heavy tones with the 5150 set to CLEAN channel, crunch OFF, and gain around 6-7 - Zenman on Phat with the gain up around 7 and the level up as well - it was surprisingly a great heavy sound.

You can also use the Zenman like any other tubescreamer with the gain down and level up.

On the cheap I also have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive (also sold has the Harley Benton house brand in Europe) which is a clone of the Maxon and works great for what it does. It was $35 new.

I heard the joyo is not that great, and I already got the buck to spend on the pedal so...
About the Zenman, it sounds more like a stand alone pedal then a booster? (I mean, it might do both, but what I really need is the boost for the sound I already got, not going back to clean and giving a new distortion from a pedal). Also, hows the price compared to the other pedals?

Thanks for helping so far guys!!
killeror22

What I was trying to say was the the Zenman can do your typical tubescreamer boost setup (gain down, level up) but it is also more versatile in case you ever need that. The clean boost part is just that without changing the EQ. I find that the pedal is extremely versatile. As for cost, where are you located? I picked it up for about $75 used in mint condition off of Reverb.com.

I wanted the clean boost part so it would hit the preamp harder but not color the tone/EQ of the amp.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
killeror22

What I was trying to say was the the Zenman can do your typical tubescreamer boost setup (gain down, level up) but it is also more versatile in case you ever need that. The clean boost part is just that without changing the EQ. I find that the pedal is extremely versatile. As for cost, where are you located? I picked it up for about $75 used in mint condition off of Reverb.com.

I wanted the clean boost part so it would hit the preamp harder but not color the tone/EQ of the amp.

It's actually a bit pricier than the maxon or ts, but it's massive. Thats a lot of shipping cost, and pedalboard place.... And it has the same downside that I can't test it.
Quote by killeror22
I heard the joyo is not that great, and I already got the buck to spend on the pedal so...

I'm curious where you heard this? Their online reviews are very high. I have 6 of their pedals and couldn't be happier with the amount of money I spent. Cheap decent pedals are like crack to me...
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
The pure sky will be cheaper, if you grab one from ebay they are around $40-$50.

I used to have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive - their take on the TS and found it to work quite well for boosting. I eventually replaced it with a better TS pedal (which also cost a lot more) that gave me that little extra in the tone/flexibility department, but using them side by side as boost pedals they were practically identical.
Plenty of great options mentioned here that would serve the purpose well.

OP, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the most popular Tube Screamer circuits. The Maxon OD-808 is actually a TS-10 circuit, despite the name suggesting it's the same thing as a TS-808. Still a nice sounding pedal, though.

In regards to the classic TS-808 vs TS9 debate, The TS-808 is slightly smoother, and the TS9 has a bit more bite to it, but they sound very similar overall. I recently picked up the Maxon OD-9 (Maxon version of a TS9), that'd be another option. It has true bypass, which is a nice bonus if you want that.

Another cool option out there is the Way Huge Green Rhino. It's a TS-style overdrive, but with more control of the EQ.

Long story short, there is no shortage of quality overdrive pedals out there these days!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Dec 8, 2016,
As said above, the usual suspects are Tubescreamers and their clones. You can find genuine TS9's used for reasonable prices. If you wanted a new-production TS9, I would go with the Mini. Small size, same thing really. There are differences between TS circuits but IMO not enough to really worry about, unless you are specifically wanting to worry about it. The Joyo unit is fine for a "first". Another option is the Seymour Duncan 805 drive. TS circuit with 3-band active EQ.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
Fulltone FD-2 or maybe a timmy?
I never thought about using the FD for this kind of purpose. From what I understand, it is based on the SD-1 which was based on the TS, so the overall effect would be similar to a degree. Although I feel that the FD has much more emphasis on the midrange than a typical TS sound, although I really have not been able to compare the two side by side. But to "ease the high's harshness" and sit in a modern mix nicely, it would be great.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 8, 2016,
I will say this about the Joyo - it sounds a ton better than the Bad Monkey I had that it replaced and there is no tone suck when you turn it off.

Will Lane
If it works and sounds good who cares what it costs? At least that's the same reasoning I used for my Mesa. . . . .
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Will Lane

That's what I mean. It's $35 and if it works why replace it with something that sounds almost exactly the same but costs 3 times as much?

I'm all for buying stuff! If that's what you want then go for it!

So I use a $35 pedal with a $2,649 (which I would never pay new) amp. . . . . F*CK IT!!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Are you looking for a low to mid-gain OD, or something high-gain?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by metalmingee
killeror22

I'm also +1 on the Zenman but if you're powering it without batteries. Voodolabs Sparkle drive would be my next choice, it has clean boost plus ts clone so you can dial in overdrive settings or just boost or both.
Would a Holy Fire (Creation Audio Labs) do anything? It doesn't really color tone.
Will Lane

with the FM or compcut position on the switch, it could work well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DirtFarmer
I'm curious where you heard this? Their online reviews are very high. I have 6 of their pedals and couldn't be happier with the amount of money I spent. Cheap decent pedals are like crack to me...

I think it was Collin from CSS guitars on youtube, if I'm not mistaken. It sounded great for it's price, and ok overall, but I guess if I already got the money to spend...?

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Plenty of great options mentioned here that would serve the purpose well.

OP, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the most popular Tube Screamer circuits. The Maxon OD-808 is actually a TS-10 circuit, despite the name suggesting it's the same thing as a TS-808. Still a nice sounding pedal, though.

In regards to the classic TS-808 vs TS9 debate, The TS-808 is slightly smoother, and the TS9 has a bit more bite to it, but they sound very similar overall. I recently picked up the Maxon OD-9 (Maxon version of a TS9), that'd be another option. It has true bypass, which is a nice bonus if you want that.

Another cool option out there is the Way Huge Green Rhino. It's a TS-style overdrive, but with more control of the EQ.

Long story short, there is no shortage of quality overdrive pedals out there these days!

True, maon problem is they don't sell most of them in my country so I can't test them out... But I get the overall image: most ts and ts like pedals are about the same sound.

Quote by Will Lane
As said above, the usual suspects are Tubescreamers and their clones. You can find genuine TS9's used for reasonable prices. If you wanted a new-production TS9, I would go with the Mini. Small size, same thing really. There are differences between TS circuits but IMO not enough to really worry about, unless you are specifically wanting to worry about it. The Joyo unit is fine for a "first". Another option is the Seymour Duncan 805 drive. TS circuit with 3-band active EQ.

I never thought about using the FD for this kind of purpose. From what I understand, it is based on the SD-1 which was based on the TS, so the overall effect would be similar to a degree. Although I feel that the FD has much more emphasis on the midrange than a typical TS sound, although I really have not been able to compare the two side by side. But to "ease the high's harshness" and sit in a modern mix nicely, it would be great.

I actually lean towards the ts mini fot the low price, great recommendations, and I could actually try it before buying.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Are you looking for a low to mid-gain OD, or something high-gain?

I need a low gain booster, my main gain comes from the amp.

Thanks everyone!!
Shoulda asked earlier ( ), but what's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

First off:
(You're going to get 10,000 different recommendations here )

Secondly: I recommend something with some sort of EQ control thingy. i.e. -- not just a "tone" control like a standard Tubescreamer has. I had a TS-9 for quite a while, and though I can't say I hated anything about it, it didn't do anything special, at least to my ears. I mean, it did its job boosting my 6505+, definitely tightened it up, and added some "scream" to pinch harmonics, but that was about it.

Later, I bought an MXR Custom Modified Badass OD (M77). Instead of just a "tone" control, it also has a 100hz (bass) knob. That knob alone really set it apart from my TS-9 and I quickly preferred using that pedal over the Ibanez. Really, it was because of versatility. Most OD pedals cut a certain amount of bass which is what tightens up your tone and picking response. But with the MXR, I can control how much -- which is a pretty powerful tool. Different guitars/pickups and different amps, if you have more than one, demand different settings. It's very nice to have that control. But that pedal also has a "bump" switch which is really just a tone shift -- it shifts the whole EQ spectrum downward which is yet another point for versatility. Finally, another aspect of that pedal that I really enjoy is that it seems to add just a touch more "hair" or "grind" to the tone whereas my TS-9 was smoother and more transparent. I happened to like that aspect (that extra grind or harmonic detail) and found that it benefited my rhythm tone as well as my lead tone.

There are other ODs that have more EQ control like my M77. The Way Huge Green Rhino is one of them. I just think it's worth the extra cash, if it even costs more at all. The green boxes, especially the Maxon ones or ones that say "808" are especially overpriced and I think outclassed by some of these newer OD pedals that have more versatility.
I can't add much as the only Boost/OD I have any experience with is my Ibanez TS9 which is one of the originals built by Maxon in the early 80s I have used it successfully on every amp I have owned since I bought it from my brother in 1990.

I did recently get a great deal on a ($30 new in box) T Rex Fat Shuga Boost/Reverb unit it does not overdrive like my TS9 for using with high gain but it does sound damn good and it is great for boosting cleans if you crank the boost it does overdrive just a bit, the reverb sounds great too.

At the same time I was able to pick up a MAD Professor 1 distortion pedal with reverb and though I have not tried it for a OD slong with my amps OD I think if you keep the distortion level under control it would work as a good overdrive similar to a TS, on a clean channel it is a superb vintage distortion sound I highly recommend it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 9, 2016,
I have a TS808, a Maxon OD808, and a Seymour Duncan 805 for this purpose. The TS808 is the best overall as it is the most smooth and all-around usable. It is the least harsh of the bunch. The Maxon is more along the lines of what fans of the 5150/6505 series like to hear, IMO - middle smoothness and lots of bite, with most of the low end tightening effect. I know the circuit should be more similar than what my ears tell me but there it is. Surprisingly, the 805 is highly usable and sounds quite good. It has a Bass, Mid, and Treble control as well which really gives you some flexibility, though the EQ controls on your amp will be more translatable/organic sounding so there's a question of appropriateness.

I have actually used a few other boost type pedals for this effect in experimentation, notably a ProCo Rat to accomplish this same effect (with little/no distortion and only a level boost) and I can tell you firsthand that there is a reason the tubescreamers are famous for this. They have a unique way of shaping the signal that is highly desirable.
just bear in mind the maxon od808 is actually a ts10 clone, not a ts808 clone.

not much difference in parts but not worth paying extra for either.

i haven't tried the caline but if it's a decent clone it's a lot flatter in the mids etc. than a ts-style pedal. it just depends on what you want.

i like both types

Quote by Maromasqu

I have actually used a few other boost type pedals for this effect in experimentation, notably a ProCo Rat to accomplish this same effect (with little/no distortion and only a level boost) and I can tell you firsthand that there is a reason the tubescreamers are famous for this. They have a unique way of shaping the signal that is highly desirable.

yeah

the boss sd1 is really good for that type of thing, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
On the TSClone front, I own a T-Rex MAB (Michael Angelo Batio), Dr. No Drive-O-Matic, and a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde OD/Dist V2*. All solidly built pedals with a bit of extra control over the originals.

TrueTone- Visual Sound's new corporate ID- offers a dual OD called the VS-XO that is pretty sweet.

Then there are pedals like the Magnetic Effects Satellite, Keeley Katana, Keeley Katana Blues Driver, and ThorpyFX Peacekeeper, all low to medium gain ODs with good controls and high-quality construction.

* V3 currently available from TrueTone

If you want smoothness I'd grab the TS mini (one I had was smooth) one over the TS9 (typically a bit brighter and harsher than the TS808 based pedals). Usually I suggest something with more than just a "tone" knob but they can be costly so the TS mini should do you well, just know it has a big mid boost from what I remember when I had it.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

TrueTone- Visual Sound's new corporate ID- offers a dual OD called the VS-XO that is pretty sweet.

* V3 currently available from TrueTone

Yeah- just bear in mind I think the OD in the V3 is based on the Open Road- a Nobels ODR-1 clone (ish)- and not a tubescreamer. I think one of the ODs in the XO might still be TS-based, though (and the other one is again Open Road-based).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I thought the J&H is still a TS Clone, and both of the ones in the VS-XO are Nobels based. But I could have that wrong.

I'll know for sure when I buy them in 2017.

haha

i think you have that backwards, but the descriptions on their site are a lot more vague and ambiguous than they used to be
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I did some looking at reviews- most are utterly silent as to what circuits they're based on, but a few (and commentaries) hint that your interpretation is correct.

I'll have to send them a note to clear it up for myself, if nothing else.

yeah. i didn't bother saving the page from their site or really trying hard to remember which was which because I didn't know they were going to change it you used to just be able to go to their site and look it up and find the answer.

you normally want to be looking at the diy forums to find out what things are- freestompboxes or diystompboxes or places like that. they haven't reverse-engineered everything, but they've reversed a lot, plus i'd also be wary of reviews (and also posts on non-diy forums) because a lot of myths get perpetuated there
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?