Hi alll,

I am quite a new player with a couple of years under my belt and at present i am tryig to get to grips with barre chords .
No real problem with E and Am shape ,but as expected the A shape is proving a little problematic and would appreciate a little advice.

I have tried all methods , three fingers as in a standard a chord , pinky ,ring finger and really struggling however i tried using my second finger to barre the DGE strings and it feels good .Yes a little bit of a stretch at the nut end of the fret board but still quite comfortable and good sound out of the strings.

Question is ..should i carry on using this method as it works for me or will it be detrimental me in the future as my playing becomes more accomplished.

Your input and advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jim
By A shape barre chords do you mean chords like the B chord? Sorry, I'm a bit slow when it comes to understanding things. Edit: If you mean what I think you mean. I usually barre with the index finger and semi barre the 3 strings with my ring finger. But if you're satisfied with your method, I say keep at it.
Last edited by TROUnation at Dec 8, 2016,
I think the "normal" way is to barre the root with the index finger and barre the DGB strings with the flat part of the ring finger (I'm assuming you meant DGB instead of DGE). But if you can do the job with your middle finger, I can't see how it's going to be a problem. Go with what works for you.
Where is your thumb? If it is inline with your index, they that could be why you struggle to get enough pressure onto your ring or pinkie. If this is the case then try moving your thumb back to be inline with the fret between the 2 your fingers are on.
it's a terrible voicing - don't use it. The partial bar with the ring finger is the best way - mute the high E string.

There are times when awkward chord voicings are necessary for a given song, but in general, use ergonomic voicings as much as possible in your general playing.
jimbouk66 Go for what feels comfortable ... 1st and 2nd fingers, or 1st and 3rd fingers are fine, and won't affect you later. The treble most pitch on the 1st string (E string) gets left out (otherwise you'd get a maj 6 if the 1st string is also fretted by your 2nd or 3rd finger. But not having this 1st string sounding doesn't matter, as the "correct" pitch (in line with yoiur 1st finger barre) is present in the shape, on the 4th string of your 2nd (3rd) finger barre.

Many times, full 5 or 6 string chords are avoided, for musical reasons.
That seems very weird to barre using your second finger. I would have said barring with your third finger is the way to go. Someone mentioned the position of your thumb, I just checked and mine is in line with the index finger, or in fact even closer to the headstock. Moving it in between my two fretting fingers definitely doesn't help, but maybe that's just me. I think the more important thing is that it's low down on the back of the neck. And you should be able to fairly easily have the high E string sound, if you want it to, when using a 3rd finger barre, by bending it upwards at the knuckle.
jerrykramskoy
Really? It bends naturally and only by a very small amount needed to lift it off the fretboard for the high string to sound. I've been playing for over 25 years with no problems. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well, it's the joint nearest the end of the finger.
Quote by reverb66
it's a terrible voicing - don't use it. The partial bar with the ring finger is the best way - mute the high E string.

There are times when awkward chord voicings are necessary for a given song, but in general, use ergonomic voicings as much as possible in your general playing.

yeah that's what i do

maybe it's more important in other types of music (like jazz etc.) but for what i mainly play being able to play the thing easily is normally more important than using the "right" voicing etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
jerrykramskoy
Yes, it's fine, I don't need to force it at all. It's easier for me to play that barre chord shape and have the high E string sound than to barre the top 4 strings to get a maj 6!