Hi everyone, I need some help choosing a humbucker to replace my stock fender humbucker in my Squier Affinity HSS. I play lots of metallica, anthrax, slayer, and some classic rock. I am playing through a Laney HC-25, but I am getting a Laney Ironheart within the next 6 months or so. I don't really know much about which pups are the "best" for a soloing/rhythm pickup, as I play lead in my band. I am also looking for a good single coil or stacked humbucker in the neck so I can solo with it. I can spend up to $450 on pups, but I don't know the best ones to buy. Not looking to replace my guitar by the way, I really like the tone, and weight of it.
You have $450 to spend on just pickups? How about a whole new guitar that comes with better pickups? Like a used MIJ Jackson Dinky or Soloist?

To answer your question though, Metallica and Slayer both use active EMG pickups - Metallica - 81/60 for the most part but with Hetfield having his new signature set which are tweaked 81/60 basically. Slayer uses EMG 81/85. Picking up a used Jackson DKMG would do the trick and it's in budget.

For Anthrax, Scott Ian plays a Seymour Duncan JB.

It all depends on the sound you want. Lace Pickups has a Deathbucker (I think that's the model) that sounds close to an EMG 81 but it's passive.

I like the Seymour Duncan Distortion over the JB but obviously the JB is widely used.

I have a Distortion/Jazz set in my Kelly that I prefer over the JB/'59 in my Eclipse for thrash stuff.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Dec 8, 2016,
The passive HB that sounds most like EMGs to my ear are Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers (which are splittable). Here's a guy comparing Deathbuckers to EMGs.

Lace doesn't make a singlcoil sized version of the Deathbucker, but the standard singlecoil Alumitones do handle distortion nicely.

Rio Grande makes a pickup line they call "Dirty Harry's" which are hot P90s in standard P90 size...as well as Strat singlecoil, Tele singlecoil and splittable HB styles as well. The HB is actually 2 of the Strat version in a HB housing, so when split, it still sounds like a Dirty Harry.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
metalmingee I love how my guitar sounds and looks, and it was a birthday gift from my grandpa who passed away a few days after, so it holds a lot of value for me. I have looked at Seymour Duncans, but I think I'm going to look at a Lace Deathbucker. Thanks for the help!
4metalguitarist

Sorry for your loss. But I think it's great you're investing in the guitar, not just as a keepsake, but as a working instrument. Probably would make him smile...if only to himself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Lace Deathbucker
Dimarzio D-Activator

Both are active sounding passives, which from looking at your artists is what you are after.
Whatever you do I am sure you will rock so loud your Grandpa hears and has a headbang.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Lace Deathbucker
Dimarzio D-Activator

Both are active sounding passives, which from looking at your artists is what you are after.
Whatever you do I am sure you will rock so loud your Grandpa hears and has a headbang.

+1 for the DiMarzio D'Activators I have a set that came stock on my Ibanez Xiphos not quite the same as active but damn close, I have heard great things about the Deathbuckers as well though I have yet to get my hands on a pair.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge