Page 1 of 3
These 2 weeks partner for UG IQ Special is Martin Guitar

The subcontest of this week has special rules and a special prize. The user who gets the most IQ from submitting strumming patterns to their tabs gets this Martin D Jr from Martin Guitar! You can add strumming patterns to both old and new tabs, both count.

The subcontest starts on December, 11 and will last till December, 24 11:59 pm EST

Grand Prize: D Jr from Martin Guitar!

The contest is over and the winners are:

1st - Davetran who submitted over 170 patterns (more than 135 of which were submitted in the last hour of the contest) gets the grand prize - Martin D Jr guitar!

2nd - NeoMvsEu with 143 patterns gets a UG T-shirt

3rd - jjhand with 16 patterns - UG T-shirt

4th - anderssoncaro with 8 patterns - UG T-shirt

5th - naima.montecinos with 5 patterns - UG T-shirt

Thanks for taking part, everyone!
Niass well not to be rude, but this is a lame competition, your telling everyone that there's going to be competitions coming up and too make tabs and keep back for the competition, and then you say the competition is who makes the most strumming patterns, old or new. not many people even bother with strumming patterns, it's seem that you will just get a load of people putting any strumming pattern in one after the other just to make a load of strumming patterns just to make points up, So the tabs that get put up the tab will not count only the strum pattern?
Strumming patterns are complete nonsense that do not exist to a true musician. Anyone that needs someone to tell
Them how to strum a song should stop playing immediately... Either you know or you don't. I have known quite a few
People who asked me about strum patterns and 5 years later they still ask people how to play a song... And after this
Amount of time they are no better off then they were 5 years ago....

Also, a strum pattern is useless for an entire song.... It may work for a little bit but never for an entire song......

So I guess the best thing to do for this contest is to just put down anything you want to... And it will then
Be accepted....

By the way, you don't have to worry about me doing any because like I said strum patterns are ridiculous....

You can not teach someone how to strum a song..you either have it or you don't.....
So I can't wait to see all the phony strum patterns that will be put onto songs just to win a guitar.

Lastly, who is going to verify each and every strum pattern to insure it is 100% correct?....
And why do you always say you want input about things but never ask anyone what perhaps they
Want to have in a contest?.....
I actually like that this contest isn't about contributing tabs. My only concern is that higher level contributors can edit other people's tabs and add strum patterns while users who are lvl 1-3 only can edit their own tabs. Have you taken that into consideration?

Also, I hope you will ban/warn/disqualify users who submit strumming patterns that are dddd or dudu with the tempo set to 120 because those patterns are completely useless

Quote by DON CZARSKI
Anyone that needs someone to tell
Them how to strum a song should stop playing immediately... Either you know or you don't. I have known quite a few
People who asked me about strum patterns and 5 years later they still ask people how to play a song... And after this
Amount of time they are no better off then they were 5 years ago....
If you don't know the pattern and can't figure it out on your own then how are you ever going to learn if you don't ask someone? Have you never been a beginner? I looked at numerous tutorials when I first started playing and that really helped me develop my ability to figure out patterns myself

Quote by DON CZARSKI
Also, a strum pattern is useless for an entire song.... It may work for a little bit but never for an entire song......
That's why there's the possibility to add several different patterns
I feel sorry for the majority of people on here that use the site and can,t enter it because they don,t know music theory never really used the strumming section, or care to use it, or know the tempo of a song, when I use a tab i don,t even bother with the strumming pattern on the tab, it just comes to you when you start to play the song, this comp is more to the minority that know music theory and know how to use the strumming section, most people on here I talk to don,t know how to use the strumming section because it's complicated. if your going to have a competition, make it too were the majority of the users on UG can participate in the competition fairly.
I'm with you ayreon77...
When people ask me what the strumming pattern is I tell them WHO CARES?

I then tell them how I learned...
Put the song on, get the chords in front of you... And then jump in wherever you can....
Try and keep up with the song as best you can..at first it may be hard in parts but just
Keep up the best you can.... Forget about chord changes or whatever ...

Play the song over and over and eventually once it gets in your head it will come to you...
If it doesn't then find another instrument to play because you just don't have rhythm...

I also tell them to just mute all the strings and completely forget about chords ...
And just see if you can strum along with muted strings... That helps a lot...

Like I sated previously... Guys I know who tried to follow strumming patterns 5 years later
Can not play a song decently... But the ones I told to just put the song on and go for it
Eventually got it and can now play songs without having to ask for strumming patterns...

HOW MANY OF YOU WERE TAUGHT USING A STRUMMING PATTERN?

Better yet, how many of you ever heard of a strumming pattern...

You either got it or you don't....

As ELLA FITZGERALD sang
"I got rhythm, I got music, I got my man, who could ask for anything more."
You don't have to know music theory to create a strumming pattern and you can google a song's BPM. The tab page tells you how to create a pattern and there are even 10 "standard" patterns to choose from if you still don't know how to make one yourself

I know a lot of people who are thrilled that strumming patterns is what counts this time. If somebody doesn't care to use this feature then this contest is not for them. There will be other contests but the truth is that they won't suit everyone either. Some people are good at creating GP tabs, others only do chords. The point of these subcontests is to give users who normally wouldn't be able to place themselves in the weekly top a chance to win a prize. This is also an opportunity for UG to introduce this feature to more users. This contest is definitely an incentive for people to add something to their tabs that they perhaps wouldn't do otherwise. There was an increase of GP tab submissions during the previous subcontest and there will definitely be more strumming patterns added in the coming two weeks than ever before. Strumming patterns are useful to beginners, you might not need them but other people do.

UG shouldn't limit the subcontests to tab submissions only, people contribute in other ways and it's only fair that they too should be rewarded for their hard work

Quote by DON CZARSKI
When people ask me what the strumming pattern is I tell them WHO CARES?

Play the song over and over and eventually once it gets in your head it will come to you...
If it doesn't then find another instrument to play because you just don't have rhythm...
Someone asks a question and you respond like that? Wow. Just... wow

You can develop a sense of rhythm over time. Who didn't struggle with that in the beginning? How many people didn't start out by playing simple chords and only strum downstrums using their thumb? Basically everyone did.

Quote by DON CZARSKI
HOW MANY OF YOU WERE TAUGHT USING A STRUMMING PATTERN?

Better yet, how many of you ever heard of a strumming pattern...
I was and I have
Last edited by anderssoncaro at Dec 9, 2016,
Well all's I want to say is that this is a tab site were people submit tabs, and come to learn tabs, UG said keep your tabs back and wait for the competition, all the people that have been making tabs this whole time waiting on a comp to start, and now it,s not about doing tabs it's about strumming patterns, hopefully this comp is not being manipulated for minority of people to win it, and leave out the majority that can,t do it, we shall see at the end of the competition,
now i,ve had my rant, I thought I have to say what I needed to say.
UG needs to make a page with the rules for competitions in the future, I think if they know what to expect and what and what not there allowed to do in a competition, then I think people will be happier going into a competition, knowing what they can and can,t do.
ayreon77, DON CZARSKI I see your point. I agree that most of the guitarists don't need strumming patterns to play songs. However, a lot of beginner guitarists asked us for strumming patterns, and with this Special we're reaching out to them. As for a start, it's really convenient for them to see the patterns on their screens, rather than figuring them out by trial and error.
I for one like that the contest is related to the price of the contest. The acoustic guitar would work better with the strumming category than for instance Guitar Pro tabs.

The problem with the strumming to me is that it's such a small part of the website. I honestly have never seen a strumming pattern on a tab, outside of the Approval queue. Giving points for chords in general would probably be better and maybe strumming could have bonus points if they are added.
The way the contest is set up now, you need to upload new chords and you only get points for the strumming part. (while that isn't the biggest part of the tab.)
It could be an easy way to earn points for people who already have a lot of chords but didn't add the strumming part. My prediction is that this contest will probably be won by someone who have a lot of these tabs. (or someone who can edit other peoples tabs.) This whole thing could be a good thing for making existing tabs more complete though.

Chord/strumming tabs are not my speciality so I will pass on this one, but I do like the change in contest instead of doing only Guitar Pro tabs all the time.
This information might be small for regular contributors, but it's invaluable information for beginners. The people who speak loudest in this thread are not representative of people of all levels.

If you go to the contributor's forum/Authors Community and find the strumming pattern discussions, UG said specifically that this was one of the most requested features by users of contributions. These are people who actually look at the tabs (chord charts) and learn songs from these representations. It is a disservice to these same people to ignorantly and/or arrogantly think that such information is useless because we think we're too good and should learn through "working at it". People have posted valid questions on charts about strumming patterns because from their place in learning guitar, they do need this information.

Chord charts are already easy to make; this is a sort of quality check (if people haven't been neglecting the checklist). Furthermore, people who attempt to manipulate the system by giving inaccurate default patterns will be stopped.

Niass - can we limit this contest, though? Like, only strumming patterns on one's own tabs count. That way, it's more fair across levels. Fairness has always been a concern.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Niass - can we limit this contest, though? Like, only strumming patterns on one's own tabs count. That way, it's more fair across levels. Fairness has always been a concern.

Good suggestion to prevent abusing! an.lebedevsky, let's implement it!
Quote by NeoMvsEu
This information might be small for regular contributors, but it's invaluable information for beginners. The people who speak loudest in this thread are not representative of people of all levels.

I understand where you are getting at, but maybe this isn't the right way to get to this goal.
Most of the contests so far mostly reach the regular contributors whether you like it or not.

There might be a few people who start making strumming tabs on the short term to try to score this guitar, but I think it will be the same as it is now after this is done.

Maybe a lot of people want it, but that doesn't mean there will be enough people making the tabs. You need regular contributors, whether you like it or not.
Quote by skinnyhein
I understand where you are getting at, but maybe this isn't the right way to get to this goal.
Most of the contests so far mostly reach the regular contributors whether you like it or not.

There might be a few people who start making strumming tabs on the short term to try to score this guitar, but I think it will be the same as it is now after this is done.

Maybe a lot of people want it, but that doesn't mean there will be enough people making the tabs. You need regular contributors, whether you like it or not.
...But chord charts are by and large the most popular contribution to the site for a lot of reasons? The only thing that's really missing is people making strum patterns for whatever reason (really, it takes just a minute if you know what you're doing).

UG has already incentivized strum patterns - they are already five extra IQ points on a chord chart (which is 50% of base chord chart value). This is a way to raise awareness. They don't need to do this contest again, either, since chord charts already count for a disproportionate amount of points when factoring in effort.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
...But chord charts are by and large the most popular contribution to the site for a lot of reasons? The only thing that's really missing is people making strum patterns for whatever reason (really, it takes just a minute if you know what you're doing).

UG has already incentivized strum patterns - they are already five extra IQ points on a chord chart (which is 50% of base chord chart value). This is a way to raise awareness. They don't need to do this contest again, either, since chord charts already count for a disproportionate amount of points when factoring in effort.

Chords are popular on themself, but I rarely see strumming patterns filled in into the tab. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
People who want to submit strumming tabs need to upload chords first. Have you thought about separating chord tabs from strumming completely?
Quote by skinnyhein
Chords are popular on themself, but I rarely see strumming patterns filled in into the tab. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
People who want to submit strumming tabs need to upload chords first. Have you thought about separating chord tabs from strumming completely?
That is correct; however, isn't that a reason to promote the features? Also I've featured them in most of my new submissions.

Furthermore, aren't strumming patterns most closely connected to chord charts? If people want tabs, they want picked parts, which isn't related to chord charts. Chord charts usually have harmonic information, which is filled out by instruments like acoustic guitars, and acoustic guitars usually need to be strummed in such a way to get a feel closer to the song.

Again, my reason for posting was to give perspective on the usefulness of strumming patterns as they pertain to chord charts, as it seems that that wasn't clear enough for some people.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
That is correct; however, isn't that a reason to promote the features? Also I've featured them in most of my new submissions.

Furthermore, aren't strumming patterns most closely connected to chord charts? If people want tabs, they want picked parts, which isn't related to chord charts. Chord charts usually have harmonic information, which is filled out by instruments like acoustic guitars, and acoustic guitars usually need to be strummed in such a way to get a feel closer to the song.

Again, my reason for posting was to give perspective on the usefulness of strumming patterns as they pertain to chord charts, as it seems that that wasn't clear enough for some people.

You're right. I agree that it's of need to promote strumming to have more people know about the feature and have them add it to tabs.

It would probably be confusing to make strumming a separate tab category, but I think it would be a good thing if it could be added to a song if someone doesn't want to go into the hassle of making a chord tab and they only want to submit the strumming part.
What about a way to submit a strumming tab that gets used for all the tabs of that track. Maybe if a user adds strumming to (for example) version 3, it get's added to 1 and 2 as well. Changes to the strumming could be global too.
These are just my two cents on this topic. My main problem is: "You can have a Chord tab without strumming, but you can't have strumming without a Chord tab." It isn't really accessible to really aim for strumming tabs.
I could see myself maybe uploading strumming tabs if I'm bored, but I have never uploaded a single Chord tab in my life because it doesn't interest me that much.
It is a difficult problem though, I can imagine that people will be using strumming to get a lot of points if it is separated from the Chord tabs, but maybe that isn't even a big problem if the tabs are of great quality.

This might be not the best place to have this discussion, so this will probably be my last post on this for now. I do agree that it could be a useful thing for some members.
skinnyhein

Maybe if a user adds strumming to (for example) version 3, it get's added to 1 and 2 as well. Changes to the strumming could be global too.

I like that. Great idea. h0spid FYI
Btw, to those who think strummings are useless piece of information (for you, DON). For many beginners the question of how to strum is the second most important piece of information after what to strum (chords). This is the result of many dozen interviews we did with beginners recently - chord tabs miss this info and that's a major problem for a lot of people.

We, as UIltimate Guitar, feel ourselves responsible for fixing what's broken because clearly people go to Ultimate Guitar as their #1 destination for getting correct tabs with as much information as possible. We want to create possibilities of making song learning process as easy and efficient as possible. For many months we are leaning towards creating a better standard for this process, which includes as much information as necessary. Something we can create ourselves (eg song presets in Tonebridge), something takes more time, efforts and we ask for community to help - strumming patterns, backing tracks, uniform formatting rules.

Thank you for listening and trying to understand
Quote by anderssoncaro
I actually like that this contest isn't about contributing tabs. My only concern is that higher level contributors can edit other people's tabs and add strum patterns while users who are lvl 1-3 only can edit their own tabs. Have you taken that into consideration?

I think it's being considered now and going to be addressed today
Quote by anderssoncaro

Quote by zappp
I think it's being considered now and going to be addressed today

Already addressed
Few things we need to mention here:

1. Only strumming patterns for your own old or new tabs count

It is true that authors with higher level have an access to Approval Queue, where they have the option to add strumming patterns to other authors' tabs (means they have extra ways to gain UG IQ). That's why we decided not to give authors with hight level an advantage and limit strumming patterns that count.

How we are going to change the situation: for our next contests (and to give all authors an opportunity to change tabs' strumming) we are going to implement new option on tab's page - add strumming pattern.

2. Quality control

UG team may perform random checks of strumming patterns that were submitted during the contest as well as check them all as a result - incorrect strumming patterns will be removed.

Strumming patterns that were low rated by users will be hidden and will not count. FYI, users can vote your strumming pattern as being not accurate enough. You will get a notification in this case. You can fix it to reset the rating and make the strumming appear on the tab page again.

Strumming patterns that do not match the original song will be removed.
Quote by Shura_FYI
Few things we need to mention here:

1. Only strumming patterns for your own old or new tabs count

It is true that authors with higher level have an access to Approval Queue, where they have the option to add strumming patterns to other authors' tabs (means they have extra ways to gain UG IQ). That's why we decided not to give authors with hight level an advantage and limit strumming patterns that count.

How we are going to change the situation: for our next contests (and to give all authors an opportunity to change tabs' strumming) we are going to implement new option on tab's page - add strumming pattern.
Like a correction, to be added by vote, or? I don't think it's a good idea to allow addition right away

2. Quality control

UG team may perform random checks of strumming patterns that were submitted during the contest as well as check them all as a result - incorrect strumming patterns will be removed.

Strumming patterns that were low rated by users will be hidden and will not count. FYI, users can vote your strumming pattern as being not accurate enough. You will get a notification in this case. You can fix it to reset the rating and make the strumming appear on the tab page again.

Strumming patterns that do not match the original song will be removed.
And if someone decides to manipulate voting, can there be a notification with names if someone votes down?
NeoMvsEu, we just started to plan an option to suggest a strumming pattern, so don't have additional information, however, as you know, we moderate content before publish it (TPA and suggest correction work this way).

About voting, good question. As I've mentioned, we monitor submissions during contests.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Like a correction, to be added by vote, or? I don't think it's a good idea to allow addition right away

exactly!
What if the strum pattern is muted NeoMvsEu if you use that feature for palm mutting what plays when you hit the play button doesn't sound anything like when you play it on guitar especially acoustic
C-Ball

How about you test and listen to the sound sample yourself instead of asking for a written explanation of sound?

You need to check your timings. There are no 14-note patterns in 4/4.
Can I just add that the strumming patterns don't mean anything to beginners half the time if they don't know where the chord changes are. For example you might have a strumming pattern that contains 2 or 3 chords within it and the chord changes are on upstrums. Newbies would not be able to figure this out and would just play the strumming pattern once for each chord. Perhaps just another improvement you guys could make to the strumming pattern features. I teach in real life and online and this is a massive pain point for beginners.
NeoMvsEu I'm adding this as a suggestion. There's obviously a much easier way this can be done that isn't available yet. I'm telling you from experience as a teacher that although what you have in your tab makes sense to any decent musician, a beginner will look at that and instantly say "f**k that".
Davetran
...I didn't exactly make that chart for beginners, because it was a lot more rhythmically involved than normal

And not everyone is making ≤ 4 chord songs either.

Also, "obvious" - please do tell.
NeoMvsEu Whoa, I'm not looking to get into an argument but clearly you are. What I mean is that UG could incorporate a function where you could show within the strumming pattern where each chord goes within the strumming pattern. I'm not suggesting we do this - I think it's a feature that needs to be developed to provide more value for beginners. Leave your ego out of this. I can respect and appreciate your efforts but it doesn't mean you have to look down on the efforts of others.
Davetran
Idk where you're reading ego into anything? I just wanted you to elaborate, because vague ideas will only get so far. Clearer ideas can get implemented faster and more readily.

I mentioned more chords because it's less tenable of an idea for any song that's more advanced harmonically. Maybe it's useful for beginners, but what about other songs that are even trickier, even for early-intermediate players? If the chord changes are many and fast, how would such a system accommodate?
Well I might as well weigh in;
I do not like the strumming pattern feature on this site. Maybe I'm using it incorrectly, but I feel like it's very limited. You can't describe a strumming pattern with arrows. I've added patterns to some of my tabs, but I don't feel like they're very helpful. As others have mentioned, you don't learn a strumming pattern by looking at a diagram, you do so by playing the song. It's something you get better at as you learn.
I think this competition is just a thinly-veiled attempt to get more people to add strumming patterns even though they are nearly useless. I have no intention of belittling anyone who participates in this contest. No, that would be childish. However, I will not be partaking in it myself. As well, I intend to remove unwanted strumming patters from my tabs and will absolutely be down-voting bad ones.
My apologies, I haven't really added much to the conversation, but I felt the need to share my opinion nonetheless.
~Marfoof, 2016.
Here's what I think and I kind of agree with everyone here.

I don't think strumming patterns are completely useless to the site. But, they are indeed useless to a learning guitarist. That part is just intuitive.
I agree with Don and ayreon. A beginner asking for the strumming pattern is definitely going the wrong way and putting a big obstacle in their learning. It's about developing rhythm and ease of the hand something they have to work on their own (it's their hands and rhythm!), not by looking up online for strumming patterns for every song out there. It's just silly to make that part of your learning experience and I'm sure UG knows that. I'm sure they know beginners said it's important in those interviews they made because well, they are beginners!

We don't want them to stay beginners tho. They will never be able to send their own contributions if "strumming patterns" become a staple of contributions. So if strumming pattern have to be part of UG I'm at least glad they are optional.

And back to what I said earlier, although I think they are useless to a guitarist I don't think they are useless to a site like UG. A beginner will come to me and ask for strumming pattern, I don't want to deny them to him. I can explain how I feel about them and I hope he gets it but if he still wants to know the strumming pattern I hope he finds it, I hope UG provides it.

It's hard tho. I don't think UG current aproach to strumming is ready enough to work. I think it might be even messier and complex than the old D for down U for up. And when it comes to harder songs, with many changes in rythim, pace etc I don't really think there will ever be a tool to teach it correctly.

So as for the contest being about strumming patterns... I don't think so. As I write this I was just thinking, how do I strum Katy Perry's Roar? The hell I know? I just do. The song does not have a guitar, I'm pretty sure most of the verses are palmuted and the movement of your strumming hands are unique to how you play te song.

I would love to win that guitar but I don't want to win it by making my style, rhythm and own technique a staple of contributions that are supposed to be for all, not just for me. I prefer users to develop their own style, rhythm and techniques.
Page 1 of 3