Hey, my nephew is asking his dad for a pedal this year, either Digitech or Boss, so I'm kinda shopping around for his dad. He's into metal so I reckon overdrive or distortion(not sure which?). my expirence with pedals is very limited, but I've gotten a lot of great help on here before, so I thought I'd ask. Out of all the offerings from from Boss or Digitech what models should I be looking at?

I'm not sure what amp he's got and have no real way to ask questions so i'm kind of working blind here. Any help would be appariciated. Thanks
The amp is a really important factor here. Really the Digitech and Boss "metal distortion" pedals are notoriously bad, especially when put in front of an incompetent amp. A general guide to get proper metal tones (and how a lot of metal records were done) is to use a light overdrive like a Tubescreamer into an already driven tube amp. The amp does most the work, the pedal just boosts it. Typical use with the Digitech and Boss units generally means the pedal does most the work, and they are not really good at that job.

If your nephew has a cheap SS/modeler amp, it would be even worse- they generally do not take drive pedals well at all and getting him a "metal pedal" will be more trouble in the long run. So we need to know the amp to know what to recommend, really. If he is old enough and is taking guitar seriously, and he does have a cheap SS amp (Line 6 Spider, Marshall MG for a few examples), what may be a better option is to help him put money towards an amp that will be more worthwhile and inspiring for him.

If he has a solid amp already (Randall, Peavey, Marshall Tube for examples), then he may not be happy about it in the moment but a lighter overdrive like the Ibanez Tubescreamer will get him more professional tones in the long run. If he is too young to begin to know the difference, just getting him one of the cheap Digitech or Boss units will suffice until he is older. Although really that is a waste of money IMO but if he is just asking for "a pedal", I do not really know how to help much further if he is too young in the guitar world to have specifics.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 9, 2016,
gift certificate is the way to go in this case.
Well I've heard a Blackstar SS amp play with an OD, chorus and a reverb pedal sound amazing, so I know good tone can be made without running out and buying a 6505 or a triple rectifier. Lets keep in mind this is for bedroom playing. Anyone here like the "boss metal zone"
or "digitech metal master"? (the fact the "metal" is in the name is not why I'm asking about them xD)
Quote by Dead_Gardens
Well I've heard a Blackstar SS amp play with an OD, chorus and a reverb pedal sound amazing, so I know good tone can be made without running out and buying a 6505 or a triple rectifier. Lets keep in mind this is for bedroom playing. Anyone here like the "boss metal zone"
or "digitech metal master"? (the fact the "metal" is in the name is not why I'm asking about them xD)

I have yet to hear an "amazing" tone from any of the cheaper Blackstar amps but to each his own. both pedals you mentioned are pretty well hated here. can of bees is most often the way they are described. as already mentioned you aren't really giving us much to work with so any advice given may or may not be good. are you telling me that you can't call or txt your brother to get some info like at least what kind of amp it is? do you know who your nephew's fave guitar players are? give us something.

I still will say gift certificate and let him decide with perhaps a little guidance. buying blind can be a disaster.
There's always guy's who hate certain gear, ss amps, distortion pedals, baritone, 8 string ect.. I was just looking for a comment like ("yea I tried the Boss model '1?d something' and it sounded better than the model 'whatever') and I didn't list a gift certificate as an option...
Quote by Dead_Gardens
There's always guy's who hate certain gear, ss amps, distortion pedals, baritone, 8 string ect.. I was just looking for a comment like ("yea I tried the Boss model '1?d something' and it sounded better than the model 'whatever') and I didn't list a gift certificate as an option...
Well as monwobobbo said, those two pedals you listed (and really any of them in that same vein) are just not good and not worth the money. It is not about subjective opinions at this point, it is objective- they are not good and not worth your money. I am not always against SS amps, metal distortion pedals, etc., we are just trying to help you out- we do not want you to spend your money on an item that is not worth it, but rather help you get your nephew get something much more worthwhile.
Quote by Dead_Gardens

we're not talking about general items though are we. never said that all distortion pedals suck just the 2 you mentioned. I can't in good faith recommend either of them as they are just plain not very good pedals. both tend to be aimed at kids who out grow them fast when they discover that heaping on tons of distortion isn't the path to good tone.

I'm aware that gift certificate wasn't a given option that doesn't mean that it isn't the right answer to your ? though. you also failed to answer the other things I've asked. this is starting to feel like a troll thread.
Wow are there really only two people on this forum? xD I picked those pedals because they are used by some big bands. Don't know nothin about em.
First of all, not that it's anyone's business but I haven't talked to this kid in 8 years. I don't think it will make a difference but I'll have someone text him.

btw that's not the correct usage of the word "troll"
Quote by Dead_Gardens
Wow are there really only two people on this forum? xD I picked those pedals because they are used by some big bands. Don't know nothin about em.
First of all, not that it's anyone's business but I haven't talked to this kid in 8 years. I don't think it will make a difference but I'll have someone text him.

btw that's not the correct usage of the word "troll"

2 that are willing to spend time on someone that can't seem to make any effort to give useful info. you don't need to talk to him directly to find out what amp he uses. on the other hand if you are goig to get him something don't you think you should be talking to him. guidance etc.

as for the correct usage of troll, sure dude whatever.
I fund the answer somewhere else. Thanks and don't feel bad that you didn't know the answer.
Dead_Gardens

Quote by Dead_Gardens

I played a Boss Metalzone once and discovered that the only thing it was good for was a doorstop.

Getting them a gift certificate towards something actually decent (Which Digitech and Boss distortion pedals certainly are not) really is the best option.

Blackstar SS amps are also very meh.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dead_Gardens

If you're still around, perhaps this will help: they're not kidding, and they're really tring to help. I've never used either of those pedals, but in my 8 years on this board, I'd have to say @85%+ of the UGers who claim to have used them say they're terrible unless you're emulating one of the (very) few guys known to have recorded/gigged with them.

And that is, as they imply, that the amp your nephew is using actually works well with dirt pedals*.

Giving him a gift card to a local music store, Amazon, eBay or Reverb.com could let him get a truly good distortion pedal, with a slightly bigger budget.

* slang for overdrive, distortion or fuzz
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Wow you forum guys really don't like being questioned. First of all, I came here for advice and I took that advice. I talked to my bro and we checked out a digitech pedal and decided to go with something else from Boss. I'm not a pedal guy, but if you have a good clean sounding amp I see the benefit of an OD/distortion pedal. Oh and this ain't my money so what I think isn't all that matters.
Quote by Dead_Gardens
Wow you forum guys really don't like being questioned. First of all, I came here for advice and I took that advice. I talked to my bro and we checked out a digitech pedal and decided to go with something else from Boss. I'm not a pedal guy, but if you have a good clean sounding amp I see the benefit of an OD/distortion pedal. Oh and this ain't my money so what I think isn't all that matters.
Friend, not all "good clean sounding amps" are not made equal. Some will not take kindly to drive pedals, plain and simple. Our answer to the two pedals you listed was "they are not good, we do not suggest them." You never answered what amp he has, we could not help properly without that information. You made your decision though, hope he enjoys it.
Quote by Dead_Gardens

We don't mind being questioned. But we will point out that there is a better approach if there is one, even if that includes an alternative you may have initially neglected to consider.

Distortion pedals (not to be confused with overdrive pedals) generally do not do as good a job of achieving a convincing higher gain tone than if the amp just did so by itself (granted, perhaps with a clean boost thrown in for good measure). You have to spend a substantial amount of money to get a distortion box that sounds convincingly tube-like by itself. And the Boss pedals are certainly not one of them.

All of this assumes that the amp is good to begin with of course. But if 'Blackstar SS' is anything to go by, then not in this case.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Dead_Gardens

funny, coming from a guy that wouldn't or couldn't answer any of our ?s. ok do tell what pedal did you decide on?
Thanks guys. lol I'm sure he'll like it. And very true Will amp choice is huge. See ya later, off to go practice.
Can't answer what I don't know little man. And I didn't my brother picked one. Gotta go
Quote by Dead_Gardens
Can't answer what I don't know little man. And I didn't my brother picked one. Gotta go

ohhhh.... put me in my place
Dead_Gardens

I'll venture and say that the Digitech DF-7 (Distortion factory) is a very good pedal for the price, as it does distortion, overdrive and fuzz in one box, and it does it quite well at that price range. It does a better sounding Boss Metalzone imitation than the Metalzone itself. If he wants to do some extreme metal noise, the Metal Master is quite good for that
http://digitech.com/en/products/df-7-distortion-factory
http://digitech.com/en/products/metal-master

Looking at their site, it seems like they're about to exit the pedal game, or use one of their acquired brands, DOD, to continue forward with pedals, so I don't know if I even want to get anything Digitech at this point.

I am not sure what to suggest by Boss - their distortion pedals have always left me underwhelmed, maybe one of the Waza craft...but at that price, I wouldn't want to go there.

It depends what kind of tone the kid wants, so I'd suggest Sansamp GT-2 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tech-21-sansamp-gt2-tube-amp-emulator?rNtt=sansamp%20&index=4
or Us Steel (Mesa emulation) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tech-21-sansamp-character-series-u.s.-steel-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal?rNtt=sansamp%20&index=15
pedals, these should have a lot of options and a slew of tones, also maybe a Jekyll & Hyde, which again should have enough options for all players:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound/V2-Series-V2JH-Jekyll-and-Hyde-Overdrive-and-Distortion-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal-1274115035980.gc

Extreme metal genres - you'd have a problem getting something under $200, Warmpler Triple Wreck and Pysdyawot are two pedals that are really good but usually over $250.
+1 on the Jekyll & Hyde.

The Pisdiyowat can be found used @$170, and occasionally as low as $140.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The answer you seem to look for is by someone who actually has used them and I personally had the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone as my first metal pedal. A lot of people hate it (I'm indifferent as recent pedals came out between 2009 - present) mainly because it lacks in the sound department. Noise and feedback are the main concerns especially that dreaded hiss when cranked. Metal Master to me is even worse because like A lot of Digitech pedals it has Low and High control but nothing for Mids or Mid Frequency. If you want a good starter Digitech "Metal Pedal" I'd personally suggest the ML-2 in their Hardwire series. It's not top of the line when in comparison to MXR Metal Pedal but both have ways to tighten the sound and allow more shaping of tone then the others.

If you are considering a basic overdrive still sticking with these two companies then I'd see about Digitechs Bad Monkey which has High and Low control which can be found used and new for a fair price. (Under 50 USD as I recall)

Again as a lot of people said it depends on the amp and style he would want to use it. If say he is using a simple practice amp like a Line 6 Spider or a Peavy Vyper and is feeding it into a clean channel for bedroom playing then yea one of the mentioned pedals can do for now. Otherwise it would help to expand your horizons and do some research, a good place to do so is YouTube as many people demo pedals, some good and some horribly but it gives you an idea what to look for.

Hope this helps
Not a metal guy but used to dabble years ago and i seem to remember having a Digitech Metal Master X-Series i think.Now this was a long long time ago so they might have changed now but I remember it sounded like shit.If that helps
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Getting them a gift certificate towards something actually decent (Which Digitech and Boss distortion pedals certainly are not) really is the best option.

I dunno, some of the boss and digitech distortions are actually pretty decent (the hardwires are pretty nice in particular).

though i don't disagree with the general advice to get a gift certificate
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ITT: Guy asks a question to satiate his buyers remorse; everything goes horribly wrong.
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 10, 2016,
AMT P2 (5150) and R2 (Mesa) are badass, way better than anything Boss or Digitech have ever done (for metal).
I know this is over now but given the question and the situation, I'd recommend picking up a Zoom MS-50g. It's inexpensive, has some decent metal distortion tones and can fill out a need for additional FX, all in a single Boss sized pedal.