About 2 years for me, before I felt I had the confidence and ability to play in front of an audience. Don't pull your guitar cable out by accident, like I did part-way through a song. Apart from that, it went quite well.
Last edited by V3n0m777 at Dec 9, 2016,
About 30 years. Stage and microphone fright are terrible things, I still don't think I could do solo. A couple of beers helped things along no end. I was a passable guitarist by then, and took off like a bottle rocket once I got into the swing of it.

I think there is a balance between voice and accompaniment. If you have a good voice, your playing skills matter very little, OTOH, if you are a good player, your voice doesn't need to be brilliant, just acceptable (I don't sing at all). So ask yourself how good your vocals are, don't stretch yourself ability-wise on the guitar, stay within safe limits and think about ensemble rather than solo.
I've been learning for about 2 years (sometimes a couple hours a day), still haven't found where these open mic things are. but have played in front of friends (does that count?)

Quote by V3n0m777
About 2 years for me, before I felt I had the confidence and ability to play in front of an audience. Don't pull your guitar cable out by accident, like I did part-way through a song. Apart from that, it went quite well.

A good tip is to loop it around the screw thing that holds your guitar to the strap
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
A good tip is to loop it around the screw thing that holds your guitar to the strap

Yes, I have done ever since that happened.