OK so I currently have a VK 112 50w combo and I'm using a boss sd-1 in front and have managed to get a solid sound from it for now.
Odds are I will keep it for the meantime as I'm still a beginner really.
I play as often as possible and as the skills grow I'd like to eventually go ahead and upgrade the amp itself.

I play mostly modern metal but I am learning some classic rock stuff too as my kids seem to enjoy singing along and dancing haha. So things like CCR and such I play also.

If I were to look for a new amp I'd like something that could do a good classic rock and really nice clean sound while also being able to get that nice modern metal tone with an overdrive pedal on the lead channel.

I don't gig atm but I do jam a bit with friends.
I'd like the amp to be 50w or less and a single speaker combo.

What would your recommendations be?
I'm really partial to owning a mesa boogie amp! If you need any other info just lmk.
Thanks!
budget would help for sure. Mesa you are looking at about a grand at least for a used amp the does what you want. Marshall DSL 40c comes in around $700 new.
Marshall DSL40. Preferably the older 401 though.

Ticks all the boxes based on the vague description of what you want.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
monwobobboT00DEEPBLUE Hmm. I would think the DSL40 would be kind of in the same boat as the VK compared to how they do metal tones- can do it but not the best in its tier. I would suggest to keep the VK for the lighter stuff (classic and hard rock) but the new amp be specifically a metal voicing.
6505+ combo then.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Will Lane
monwobobboT00DEEPBLUE Hmm. I would think the DSL40 would be kind of in the same boat as the VK compared to how they do metal tones- can do it but not the best in its tier. I would suggest to keep the VK for the lighter stuff (classic and hard rock) but the new amp be specifically a metal voicing.

don't disagree but he said both and with no budget (guessing he can't get to nuts) just making ball park suggestion. DSL will do metal better than the VK but yeah not my first choice for a modern metal amp
Yeh sorry. It'd be nice to score something for 800ish or less used.

Classifieds in ontario here I've seen a mesa f50 for 800 and a mesa studio 22 for 750.

Will either accomplish the modern metal sound with an OD up front?
I'm ok with marshal I guess haha but I'd sooner get the mesa or even another peavey really.
I've eyeballed a 6505 for around 600.
Main reason having both in one combo (good cleans and a good metal lead) is cause selling the VK would give me around 200ish towards the new one if I can sell it.
At least I think it's worth 200ish?
A 50w head or even a lower watt head and single speaker can would be fine too I guess since it'll be staying home e 90% of the time.
I'm also open to orange of course.

I've found a few tiny and dark terror heads for 500-600 ish.

Micro terror for 750 and OR15h for 800 also.

Any of those heads do clean well?
Apparently they all do higher gain stuff pretty well from most reviews but I'd like more input.
Last edited by heavymetal2k at Dec 10, 2016,
just bear in mind quite a bit of classic rock stuff is fuzz- regardless of what amp you buy you might need to consider another pedal, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeh atm I can deal with more of a slightly over driven clean. I do have that old EH tube fuzz pedal here too.
It just doesn't see much use tbh. Should pull it out and give it a whirl.

Gonna try doing some searching for clips and vids of some of the smaller Orange heads to get an idea of the cleans.

There right around the price I'd like to be at and so far with OD in front it seems there capable of a nice metal tone of the higher gain sort. Shitty though I'll have to spend 0n a cab for it...
Hmm. Wish the combos weren't so damn expensive haha.
What does the market look like for a used Peavey JSX or Carvin V3M?

You typically have to go up a price tier or 2 to get great cleans, overdrives, and modern metal in a single amp.

The JSX (also known as the XXX II) delivers a ton of flexibility and does it well at a great price (used). The Carvin does a lot of things decently though I've never used one of these.

Would you be open to a pedal to give the VK the modern metal tones? It does the lighter stuff quite well, especially at the price point. Something like a Wampler Triple Wreck or another Mesa high gain clone type of pedal - or even the Mesa Throttle Box. These pedals aren't cheap but they are cheaper than a new amp!

Also keep you eyes open for deals. When I was searching for a versatile amp that can cover cleans, dirty, rock, and modern metal I ended up with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212 combo for $1,100 used in mint condition. When deals pop up be prepared to pull the trigger.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
DSL40C is great for classic rock. Swap the speaker for a Celestion creamback 65w.
Buy this ^
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
OK so I know thread is old, and I've been absent from forums for a bit due to some personal issue but I figured for those who helped I'd close this up with what I ended up doing.

I still have my VK112 combo and I do use it on occasion but I couldn't for the life of me get the sound I was ultimately looking for from it and honestly it's loud af and I rarely get to experience it turned up which is where it sounds better.
Pretty sure I'll ever tally sell it and look for something more to my style but I'm in no rush.

Back in January my dad picked himself up a new laptop and retired his 6yr old Mac book Pro.
I cleaned it out for attend it with a fresh copy of Mac os and it runs like a top.
I put amplitube on it and ended up grabbing the ENGL powerball head/cab simulator and I love it to death.
It's no tube amp, but it's possibly the best tone I've heard from a simulator ever! Super crisp and sharp with a hint of nasty in it. I just have a set of speakers wired up right now and my headphones and it works great for what I need right now.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions!
If you're fine with amp sims, maybe just buy a decently powered FRFR solution for jamming? Then again, you could just use the power section of the VK for that!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I use that sim regularly, I recently got an orange micro dark for when I don't want to be hooked up to the PC. I love it, sounds great.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A