pick a gauge that you like and go for it. can't really tell you more than that . if you are chewing up picks real fast then work on your technique some to cut down on wear. I use jJm Dunlop 1mm nylons (and sometimes 2mm) and they seem to last but I also have a fairly light touch even doing heavy riffing.
I can alternate pick, its just the bands i play use downpicking, probably because metallica. I used dunlop ultex sharp .90, is there anything that would last longer? Are normal ultexes better? Should i pick a bigger guase and are tortexes better?
Quote by steamingsoupbeg
I can alternate pick, its just the bands i play use downpicking, probably because metallica. I used dunlop ultex sharp .90, is there anything that would last longer? Are normal ultexes better? Should i pick a bigger guase and are tortexes better?
Ultex is Dunlop's toughest plastic, and you probably want a sharp tip for that sort of stuff (although it wears down faster than a rounded one). You might want to consider Jazz IIIs also - there are Ultex and carbon fibre ones that are both pretty resilient. I recently started using Gravity picks and have found them pretty impressively tough too (I used Ultex for a while but I like thin picks and my thin Ultexes ended up cracking around the tip).

Basically, though, try lots of things, give them all a decent chance and see what suits you. There's no particular kind of pick that will suit downstroke-only riffs but generally for fast stuff most people prefer to have a pointed pick.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 9, 2016,
You need chunk, so go with 1mm and up, after being a long time users of Delrin and Tortex picks, I've switched to the more plastic ones as they don't have the coating that seems to take away some of the aggression.

V-Picks are a good choice if you don't want to change picks often, these are super durable, and I have some that are so thick that I play bass with, they could pass for glass bottles. I'd suggest the pointier ones, mid sized:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Accesories/V-Picks/V-Picks.htm

These are not cheap, but they do last a while, as long as you don't lose them I can say probably a lifetime

If you want cheap and a lot of it, try the Dunlop extra heavy translucent yellows, but be prepared to toss these more often:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DUN-486P-LIST

or just get a sampler pack and see what works best:
I use a lot of different picks, made of a bunch of things- steel, jade, agate, carbon fiber, etc..

But bang for the buck, one of my favorites is the Pickboy Carbon Nylon .88, which they make in a few sizes and a couple styles. Very stiff and durable material.
http://www.osiamo.com/osiamohome?search=Carbon+nylon
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!