Okay so I went into my storage unit and out I pulled all the old gear I had and decided to finish what I started. Tested EVERYTHING, and all checks out. What I did find is some stuff did suck and I was not too thrilled. After ridding some old junk like my downgrade Dan Donegan Washburn guitar, and my Marshall MG amp here is what I picked up to get swinging back into things.

Before I list the gear here is the sound I want to achieve. I want something heavy and crushing like Dimmu Borgir from their album In Sorrtei Diabolloi and the awesome solo sound from Rage Against The Machine in tracks like Killing in the Name. If I.must give one piece up I wouldn't mind backing some crush off for a near Psychostick sound.

Gear is as follows.

Guitar, Ibanez RG outfitted with EMG 81 (bridge) and 85 (neck)

Amp, Randall amp (I believe it's an RX100, I know it's a full solid state amp head) followed into a Randall cab 4 x 12 (plan to change out the speakers to Celestions or better)

For practice when I can't get to the big one is a Kustom Dart 10 (I know it's trash but would need something small when I'm stuck doing insane hours at work and can squeeze an hour of practice at home)

Pedals: Digitech Whammy 4, A Dunlop standard Wah pedal, Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion, Ibanez Tube screamer (TS-9 reissue if I remember correctly) Boss EQ 20, Digitech Multi Chorus, Line 6 DL4 delay, Boss NS 2, and to power it all a 1 Spot power brick. (I think that's all)

If any suggestions can be made what to shelf and what to put into this rig I'm listening. Thanks
Budget? Location? Are you willing to buy used?

I mean Randall solid states aren't bad for metal so what problem are you having? Are you having trouble dialing in your amp? Are you not happy with the tone it produces and feel it needs an upgrade? I mean you probably don't need the tube screamer or the metal distortion pedals if you're using the Randall but the rest of the pedals are useful and you can use the distortion pedals with your little practice amp if you want as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

I'm only asking for suggestions at this time so no budget on anything yet. Location? Mind specifying? To be honest a lot of gear I ever owned was used so that's a yes as long as it works and won't fall apart soon.
To answer the rest in order.
I do use the metal distortion more so with my practice amp and the Tube Screamer more as a boost like you said the Randall amp has plenty of grit.

Yea between my guitar and amp I'm having trouble mimicking that Black Metal tone or at least a heavy low sound guitar without it sounding odd. Not sure what tuning was used on that album I mentioned but I assume it's around C Standard or Baritone.

I'm not sure if I need to upgrade much more other than the speakers in the cab but it helps to know if I overlooked something. If you might say it's the cables, I actually bought some MXR cables which are supposedly soderless and some better instrument cables from Planet Waves.

Hope that clears things up
Location means location. Where do you live? People have different gear available in different places so knowing your location lets us help you out better. As for black metal tones, are you talking more about newer bands or older ones? A lot of the earlier bands tend to use pedals (such as the HM-2) to produce those really harsh and buzzy sounds so you might have more luck trying out your Hardwire and trying to dial in those tones from that.

How are you setting your amp?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

Ah I'm in Wisconsin U.S.
I don't know if they would be considered new or old but the album I'm trying to get close to in sound is from Dimmu Borrgir's In Sorrtei Diabolli.

Amp settings are usually miss around 3 or 4 low about 5 to 8 and High around 7 I suppose I did something wrong
Rather than swapping out the speakers in the 4x12, take a look at something like the Carvin LS1503 (discontinued, but available used) or their current LS153 cabinet. 15-inch woofer, 6.5-inch mid range and 1-inch exit horn driver, capable of handling up to 800W, pretty compact, $329 new, It's designed to be used as a standard free-standing cabinet, as a wedge (a couple of different angles available), mounted on a speaker stand, etc. Frequency response at -3dB is 68Hz to 18khz (your 4x12 at -3dB is probably 110Hz - 4000Hz). FWIW, the low E string on a standard 6-string is around 82Hz. Cabinet weighs about 40 lbs. If you ever need more power, you can run from the preamp on your Randall to a power amp (Carvin makes a 1500W power amp that weighs 9 lbs for a bit over $300 that will produce about 800W, bridged, mono @ 8 ohms). If you run two of these cabinets, it will provide 1500W (actually more than that) bridged, mono, at about 4 ohms.

FWIW, the low B on a Baritone is around 62Hz.
not sure it's worth swapping the speakers, you could likely find a 4x12 which already has good speakers for less

what ibanez is it?

most of those pedals are probably fine, in fact pretty decent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. i guess the pickups are worth saving, it depends on how good the guitar is and what condition (especially the trem, if it has one, since the trem on cheap ibanezes is often not great).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc It doesn't have a trem arm but I do know what you mean as I tried a Floyd Rose on a Dean Dime signature and a few knock offs from other manufacturers.

I figure the fixed bridge was fine for now as far as playing
yeah i mean if you block it it's probably going to be ok if you don't need the trem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?