So I have to perform in front of an audience in a large hall for my assessment for the music course I am studying at school. I need an amp that has a good high-gain and clean channel. I am playing 2 parkway drive songs so I need something to handle the high gain tone. I have £250 to spend on an amplifier and am looking at a few options. (all songs are in Drop B) 2x12 Marshall Valvstate 2000 avt 275 (£160 & second hand), Blackstar Core Id 100 (2x10 Brand new) and the Kustom KG100FX 212 (£195 Brand New). Which should I get?.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Well. Then your best bet is going used, because i doubt you can get a big enough and good sounding amp for that kind of money new.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
^^ yeah. is the budget flexible at all? you can get the jet city combos from about £280 or so on thomann, but if you're stretching already, that's going to be scant consolation.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've found out that I won't be playing till january. I get £120 in january and all for christmas I should get around £320. So is £440 any better?
absolutely. the jet cities (maybe even the head/cab combo https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm and https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?ref=search_prv_6 you'd need a speaker cable too) will be within budget then. at least if the exchange rate doesn't get any worse. (and bear in mind that you'd want to check the exchange rate yourself, and also bear in mind that your credit card can charge a fee for international transactions)

you just need to remember that with tube amps, tubes can fail at any time if you get unlucky (and the power tubes need to be biased, which likely means paying someone to do that for you) and the warranty on the tubes is normally only like 90 days or so and replacing tubes can get expensive. so if you're really on a limited budget, even if you can technically afford the amp, it might not be the best plan (bit like buying a car and then realising you can't afford insurance, car tax or petrol)- at least, it's worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A JCA is just going to give you a lot more legit hi gain tone than any of the other amps listed in your OP. If you cannot afford a quality Hi gain amp, consider a modeler and FRFR speaker instead. The Valvstate and others at that price point are gonna disappoint.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Lol. Honestly I don't see why the avt or the black star he has listed wouldn't work. Avts are not as bad as this site seems to want to make you think. And the avt overdrive 2 channel is pretty heavy. And the 275 is stereo. And has effects built in. Not that will matter much for a big room. But to get more power than that has would cost quite a bit more honestly. And maybe you could haggle the price down 20-40. O ya. The avt also has a out on yh back so you can go direct to a p.a. board.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Dec 11, 2016,
I do like the modeler idea but that's gonna be a wee bit much too.
What the hell!!!
danvwman

So far i have played with two people who had AVT's, and they are a pile of shit. The drive channels are bad, the effects are bad, everything is bad. Sure, it might hold him over a single gig, but why buy a shitty amp, that you wont be able to use anywhere else? And i dont know why a modeler trough a PA would be to much, seems like a decent idea if you dont want to invest in an amp.

OP just dont get an AVT, they suck dick for hi gain tones.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I am not sure why you can't just rent something for that performance, if it is going to be a one time thing. Locally I can probably get a stack for about $50-$100 for one show, or even talk in a store to let you test an amp for a few days and if you happen to play a show with it, so what?

You need power and I think a 60 watt or more (tube 30 or more) should be in order. There is a Roland Cube 100 watt and a 80 watt amp, which looks like they are getting discontinued as Boss/Roland is rolling its new line. The Katana might actually fit the bill, although I am not sure I'll keep one of these full time as tube amps are a lot more pleasant to my ears. The demos on these seem okay.

These also seem to sound decent to good on demos (Orange Crush) although there is still something discernible that is solid state that doesn't quite get me sold on them. Still, q very good amp for the price and very powerful:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_crush_cr60c.htm

My first pick will probably be this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm

unless you can find something local that will be cheaper, like an older Laney or Marshall combo or head + 2x12.

Again - for one time thing, just consider renting.