The following is my setup. American HSS Strat into EHX Small Stone > MXR Dynacomp > Proco You Dirty Rat > Ibanez TS9 > MXR Micro Flanger > Boss DM-2W into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I also have a Marshall DSL40C.

I am looking for another gain pedal to compliment the TS9 so I could have a slight overdrive and a dirty-ier overdrive before the high gain RAT. My 2 favourite pedals are the MXR micro amp and the Boss BD-2. I am afraid that the micro amp would add more volume than dirt to the Fender as it is quite a clean amp. Which pedal would you suggest?
MXR Custom Modified Badass.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
What is your budget? What genre are you trying to play?

And to clarify, it sounds like you want a low to medium gain OD, right?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i haven't tried the microamp but if it's like most clean boosts then your fears are likely well-founded.

for not too much money, maybe an EHX soul food? the glove might be worth a look too if it's more or less an ocd but i haven't tried it.

Quote by 8Len8
MXR Custom Modified Badass.

won't that be quite similar to his ts9? it's a glorified sd1 as far as i'm aware (though i haven't tried it).

that might be exactly what he wants, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is your budget? What genre are you trying to play?

And to clarify, it sounds like you want a low to medium gain OD, right?

No particular budget, but I would like to avoid pedals that are not easily available as I may have a hard time re-selling them. I do not have a particular style, but I like blues and rock. I really like David Gilmour tones.

Yes, I would like a light to medium OD. Then I would set the new OD and the TS9 one to be light and the other to fill the gap between light OD and the RAT (which I set fairly dirty and gets used mostly for soloing).
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the microamp but if it's like most clean boosts then your fears are likely well-founded.

for not too much money, maybe an EHX soul food? the glove might be worth a look too if it's more or less an ocd but i haven't tried it.

won't that be quite similar to his ts9? it's a glorified sd1 as far as i'm aware (though i haven't tried it).

that might be exactly what he wants, though

That is what I fear from the micro amp. I tried the OD glove the same day I got my RAT. I remember I did not really like it.

I would like to stay away from pedals that sound to close to the TS9. Having a pedal that is voiced differently would allow me to be able to produce more different tones if I need to from my pedalboard.
DG's entry at Equipboard reveals a lot of pedals ranging from inexpensive & mainstream to pricey and exotic. There are even some newer clones that were inspired by hoary old gear that most of us can't afford and will never see in person.
http://equipboard.com/pros/david-gilmour/#effects-pedals

His overdrives seem to have one thing in common: lots of control over the parameters. In a way, not a surprise. If you can't find or afford what he has, I'd recommend* the Visual Sound/TrueTone Jekyll & Hyde (V2 or V3), TrueTone VS-XO, Keeley Katana Blues Drive, T-Rex MAB OD, Magnetic Effects Satellite, ThorpyFX Gunshot or ThorpyFX Peacekeeper. (Some are based on Tube Screamers, but with added control.)

All that said, if Equipboard is to be believed and DG uses one, the Blackstar dual TUBE distortion is quite affordable, and might do a bit of what you want:
https://reverb.com/item/2883328-blackstar-ht-dual-tube-overdrive

* roughly in order of how "mainstream" those pedals are.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Take a look at Wampler. He's got several in varying degrees. My super plextortion has a low mid and high gain switch that covers a lot of ground. It pretty much replaces my Lunar module fuzz for some of my Gilmore tone. Should find something in the $200 range. It's the one pedal i'll never sell.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Tech21 Hot rod Plexi, GCP Cornstar (can get loud pretty fast, the vintage switch makes it brighter), TC Electronic Mojo Mojo, Digitech Screamin Blues OD/Distortion (affordable yet really nice), Digitech Bad Monkey with Gorilla Mod by Modest Mike (bass mod), Digitech iStomp ePedal (need iPhone or iTouch to load the ePedal) , Electro-Harmonix Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi and English Muffin (with two 12AX7 tubes)

I don't own JHS modded EHX Soul Food, but it is getting good reviews.. Klon clone with its own personality.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 12, 2016,
Another thought: DG has used a couple of different Big Muffs (Soviet, Ram's, etc.) in his career. Here are some pedals that hope to recapture and improve upon those classic EHX units:

Some really good suggestions in here, I'd put forward the Keeley Red Dirt and the Wampler Tumnus (have serious GAS for this atm)
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Gab_Azz
That is what I fear from the micro amp. I tried the OD glove the same day I got my RAT. I remember I did not really like it.

I would like to stay away from pedals that sound to close to the TS9. Having a pedal that is voiced differently would allow me to be able to produce more different tones if I need to from my pedalboard.

ah ok if you didn't like the glove that's fair enough

there are a lot of ts clones (and the sd1 isn't a milliion miles away either) and pedals based on the ts and sd1, so you need to be careful

the soul food is more or less a klon, to my ears it doesn't really sound like a ts and its circuit is pretty different. but you'd want to ideally try it just in case you don't like it. that new crayon is allegedly a timmy clone, it might be worth a look too, though (if it's a genuine clone) won't have as wide of a gain range as the soul food. but again its circuit is different from a ts and sounds quite different (far few mids and more bass (if you want that, you can also cut the bass)).

maybe even a boss blues driver or digitech screamin blues (the SB is a BD2 with a bass control as far as i'm aware).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok if you didn't like the glove that's fair enough

there are a lot of ts clones (and the sd1 isn't a milliion miles away either) and pedals based on the ts and sd1, so you need to be careful

the soul food is more or less a klon, to my ears it doesn't really sound like a ts and its circuit is pretty different. but you'd want to ideally try it just in case you don't like it. that new crayon is allegedly a timmy clone, it might be worth a look too, though (if it's a genuine clone) won't have as wide of a gain range as the soul food. but again its circuit is different from a ts and sounds quite different (far few mids and more bass (if you want that, you can also cut the bass)).

maybe even a boss blues driver or digitech screamin blues (the SB is a BD2 with a bass control as far as i'm aware).

Actually last week I went to a local store and asked for the crayon but, sadly, it is out of stock.

I am not sure if I tried the soul food the same day I tried the od glove. I tried all EHX dirt pedals that were in stock that day. If it may help, I liked the germanium pi with two sides. Did not get it as it was a bit harsh and found the germanium rat better.
Quote by Gab_Azz
Actually last week I went to a local store and asked for the crayon but, sadly, it is out of stock.

I am not sure if I tried the soul food the same day I tried the od glove. I tried all EHX dirt pedals that were in stock that day. If it may help, I liked the germanium pi with two sides. Did not get it as it was a bit harsh and found the germanium rat better.

i haven't tried the germanium muff, sorry

edit: there's a germanium rat?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 13, 2016,
EHX Germanium Big Muff Pi demo by Andy of Pro Guitar Shop

EHX English Muffin demo
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
EHX Germanium Big Muff Pi demo by Andy of Pro Guitar Shop

That is the one I tried. Thank You!

Quote by Dave_Mc
there's a germanium rat?

Yes, The You Dirty Rat says it is germanium clipping. You can really tell as it starts to break up before the silicon ones. Also, It has a lower volume output than the silicon ones. Those differences I think are related to the lower efficiency of germanium compared to silicon. The result is warmer distorion which I quite liked.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Dec 13, 2016,
never knew there is a Germanium rat pedal.. i own quite a few pedals but seldom play them, such a shame really since my playing skill is severely lacking.. like in my profile.. i like modding and i come to a point i stopped buying and don't really want to sell what i acquired.. i guess i'm more into 80's rock, blues.. definitely not metal or aggressive playing.. prefer laid back.
Quote by psp742
never knew there is a Germanium rat pedal.. i own quite a few pedals but seldom play them, such a shame really since my playing skill is severely lacking.. like in my profile.. i like modding and i come to a point i stopped buying and don't really want to sell what i acquired.. i guess i'm more into 80's rock, blues.. definitely not metal or aggressive playing.. prefer laid back.

Me too, I buy pedals but never sell anything. Now I got about 30 pedals. I want to setup the pedalboard so maybe I stop buying random pedals. To be more precise I think that the YD Rat has silicon transistors or amplification. The difference from other rats is the germanium clipping diodes.
Which pedal would you suggest? I think some of the ones that I would like to consider are the BD-2, the Soul Food and the Crayon. Sadly both EHX pedals are out of stock in my country.
Do you have Digitech/DOD Authorized Supplier in your country? TC Electronics also makes very good pedals, hopefully it is easily accessible where you live.

These are some cool pedals DOD Gunslinger or DOD Boneshaker distortion, and DOD Looking Glass OD.

DOD Gunslinger Distortion (-_-)

DOD Boneshaker Distortion (*o*)

DOD Looking Glass OD (-_-)

Digitech Screamin Blues (older pedal but still has the Umph..) (*o*)

TC Electronics Mojo Mojo OD (*o*)

TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion (*o*)

GCP 'Green Carrot Pedal' Cornstar Plexi / OD / Distortion (This pedal is hand made in UK) (*o*)

EHX 'Electro Harmonix' Soul Food Klon copy (-_-)

There are more great pedals out there.. You can always go with Ibanez Tube Screamer (-_-) ..

LEGEND:
(*o*) own it
(-_-) don't have it

Good luck in your search.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 13, 2016,
Quote by psp742
Do you have Digitech/DOD Authorized Supplier in your country? TC Electronics also makes very good pedals, hopefully it is easily accessible where you live.

The local dealer of TC Electronic just said that they would not be supplying that brand anymore and I believe that they have already dropped off DOD/Digitech as they have only 10 year old models in stock.

Already Got a TS9
Quote by Gab_Azz
That is the one I tried. Thank You!

Yes, The You Dirty Rat says it is germanium clipping. You can really tell as it starts to break up before the silicon ones. Also, It has a lower volume output than the silicon ones. Those differences I think are related to the lower efficiency of germanium compared to silicon. The result is warmer distorion which I quite liked.

oh ok i didn't realise it was germanium i have the schematics downloaded and all, i guess i should pay more attention to them
Quote by Gab_Azz
Me too, I buy pedals but never sell anything. Now I got about 30 pedals. I want to setup the pedalboard so maybe I stop buying random pedals. To be more precise I think that the YD Rat has silicon transistors or amplification. The difference from other rats is the germanium clipping diodes.

i think they should all have more or less the same chip (not necessarily the same chip but equivalent/compatible ones). but yeah the clipping diodes are different in the different models. and maybe a few other minor component value changes as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
everybody needs a timmy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/