So I've been playing for about 4 months now. I guess I'm getting better. About a month ago however i developed a finger sprain in my index finger on my fretting hand from daily practice...I only decided to stop using that finger about a day ago since it just won't heal. I talked to my guitar instructor and he said to just use your 2nd finger as your first until it heals and practice what I already do (chord sequences, few songs) with only my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. A day after starting that I'm getting the same joint pain in the middle joint of my 2nd finger although it's not a sprain yet. I feel the pain when i bend my finger or after I practice for a while. Im 17 and my fingers are pretty long and skinny so idk if my hand is just naturally this weak. So my question is is join paint normal for a beginner? Should i continue practicing in the fashion that i am until my index finger heals?
Last edited by walledmohamed at Dec 11, 2016,
Same happened to me in my first year of playing. Take it easy, listen to your body, and eventually it will go away. If it doesn't talk to a Doctor!
Take a rest dor a while, if your hand didn't recover then go to the doctor..

And ALWAYS warm up slowly before playing... it's only 5 minutes.
Give your self the time to be a Beginner... because no one started as a Professional.
If the pain does not subside after day or two, or is getting worse, then give it a rest. Soreness is one thing and it's not unusual, but persistent pain is another. Keep the joint loose, do easy warm ups, take breaks as you play. Treat it like you would if you hurt any other joint.

And a sprain seems like a pretty intense injury to get from playing guitar. Was that a doctor's diagnosis or is "sprain" just how you're referring to the discomfort? Either way, ask your teacher to take a look at your technique, as that's almost certainly the source. Also if the strings are set really on your guitar you can get repetitive stress injury from it.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 20, 2016,
walledmohamed
Don't forget to do a warm-up before playing, there is good set of exercises for that purpose

Quote by walledmohamed
Im 17 and my fingers are pretty long and skinny so idk if my hand is just naturally this weak.

It seems possible, and may be you'll overcome this problem after some period of constant practiсe, but anyway, I think, you should consult with a Doctor to avoid possible unpleasant consiquencies.

Quote by walledmohamed
So my question is is join paint normal for a beginner?

I suppose it pretty normal, but the fact that you have pain in such way may be a signal that you have problems with technique.