Hello UG Community,

I was looking around for a fuzz pedal that sounds somewhere between a distortion and a fuzz.

So I came across the fulltone catalyst. It's a really interesting pedal. I really like the tone of it. It's like a overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal.

I do like the sound of this pedal, but I was wondering if there are any other kind of pedals which can do the same. Especially for a nice fuzz/distortion sound.

I've heard that the Proco Rat can do this kind of sounds and I also heard some good things about the Keeley Son of Fuzzhead.

Anyone who knows a good distortion/fuzz pedal?
Last edited by BlazeBee at Dec 11, 2016,
rat's pretty much a fuzzy distortion

most muffs too

i haven't tried the catalyst or the keeley
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc well the thing with the muffs is that they kinda sound too... "round"(?) Or something like that. What I'm looking for is a more fuzz face like distortion. But not a fuzz face... Altough I gotta admit that I do like the big muff with tone wicker.
ah ok. yeah a rat's more of a saturated fuzz kind of thing, more like a muff (but not exactly the same or even that close, if that makes sense)

i can't think of any offhand which are more like a fuzzface. not to say there aren't any, just i can't think of any
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok. yeah a rat's more of a saturated fuzz kind of thing, more like a muff (but not exactly the same or even that close, if that makes sense)

Exactly, a muff sound. But uh.. yeah maybe fuzz face wouldn't be a good way to decribe what I meant...

Im searching for a fusion of a fuzz and distortion/overdrive sound.
Or maybe a fuzz pedal that mixes nicely with the distortion of my amp. Something like that. Maybe germaniums..?
Last edited by BlazeBee at Dec 11, 2016,
Quote by BlazeBee
Exactly, a muff sound. But uh.. yeah maybe fuzz face wouldn't be a good way to decribe what I meant...

Im searching for a fusion of a fuzz and distortion/overdrive sound.
Or maybe a fuzz pedal that mixes nicely with the distortion of my amp. Something like that. Maybe germaniums..?

no i sort of do know what you mean ok, just i'm not well enough up on fuzzy distortions to think of any concrete examples

hopefully some of the other posters have some useful suggestions
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Black Arts Toneworks... Those... those pedals sound Epic! I also checked out the DOD Boneshaker, which was made in collaboration with Black Arts Toneworks, and I really dig the sound of it! Sounds really awesome. I'm definitely gonna check out their pedals! Thanks you Will Lane and Grawgos!

I also checked out the fuzz demos thread from dannyalcatraz... A lot of hate against fuzz pedals for some reason, but I heard some nice sounds from it, so thank you dannyalcatraz!

And I would like to apologize for not being clear enough. Maybe a good example of my definition of fuzz/distortion is Muse. Matthew Bellamy is know for his fuzz/distortion like sound. A mixture of fuzz and distortion. Here is a video of Andertons sounds like series:

Pretty impressive for a multi-effect units, if I may say so myself.

But yeah I hope that this could make things more clear of what I meant with fuzz/distortion mix sound.
Grawgos yeah, I already knew that. It was just an example of what I meant with fuzz/distortion sound.

But atleast now I know what I need to look for to get a fuzz-distortion-like sound. Basically: A bass distortion pedal.

Is there anyone who ever tried or done something like this before? Also, what do you people think of this idea??

I do remember that I once tried to modify my overdrive pedal to get a different sound from it. I added a cap to increase the bass frequency of the pedal, and it sure did added a ton of bass to it. But I did notice that the pedal started to sound fuzzy. I asked a friend of mine about this issue and he said that adding bass will definitely add some fuzz to a pedal too. I changed the cap back to its original one cuz I want my overdrive pedal to be a overdrive pedal, not a fuzz pedal.

Would you kindly share me your thoughts people of the UG community!
Not too sure of your premise, but many fuzzes work just as well for bass as guitar- some by design. Check out the DOD boneshaker and the Arc Effects Green.

You might also want to check out the WMD Geiger Counter or Geiger Counter Civilian.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!