Hey there everyone, I wanted to come here and look for some insight and knowledge regarding changing amp speakers. Recently I decided to move up to tube amps after having a tiny solid state for a bit. I now have a Blackstar HT studio 20 and before buying it I read a lot of reviews and most of them were saying that the stock speaker was garbage and to upgrade it in the future. The stock speaker in it is a Celestion rocket 50 and it definitely doesn't sound that great. I played it with my buddy and he said it sounded like there was blanket thrown over the whole thing. My gear right now is a MIM stratocaster and I've got Fender custom shop '69 pickups in it. With that guitar and pickups I was expecting and hoping to have more bite and depth to my playing but it still sounds thin at high volumes and muddy at low. I've tweaked and played around with all the settings on the amp a lot and I still haven't found a desirable tone out of it. My question though is I know I want to replace the speaker inside to something higher quality but there's a ton of speakers available and I'm trying to decide which one to get. The Blackstar amp normally runs at $550 but I picked mine up brand new for $300 so I don't really mind dropping good money on a speaker because it'll still add up to around the price the amp normally is anyways. What 12 inch speaker would you recommend (could be any price at all) to throw in there to make my Strat and '69 pickups really shine?
The Rocket 50 is Celestion's low-buck speaker, and it's about 6 dB less efficient than many other speakers you'd find on good amps. IOW, if you have the same amp sporting (for example) a Vintage 30 and another with a Rocket 50, your amp will sound as if it has a quarter of the power of that with the Vintage 30.

If I were replacing a speaker like that, I'd go with a Vintage 30.
what type(s) of music do you play?

i haven't tried your amp, and you need to sort of buy a speaker which complements how your amp sounds, but i can give you some suggestions to look into which should at least work for the types of music you play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
V30 Done!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Dave_Mc
I like to play slow delicate blues lead, or just any blues lead. I want to have my notes and especially bends really sing and stand out. Right now my full rig is MIM strat with '69 pickups, the Blackstar HT studio 20, and for pedals I have a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and an Ibanez Tube Screamer ts9.
I suggest listen to some sound samples of each speaker you might be surprised..
Weber Speaker - https://www.tedweber.com/tips/
Eminence Speakers - http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/
Jensen - https://www.jensentone.com/

Hope you find the speaker that compliments the way you play.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by dethknight32
Dave_Mc
I like to play slow delicate blues lead, or just any blues lead. I want to have my notes and especially bends really sing and stand out. Right now my full rig is MIM strat with '69 pickups, the Blackstar HT studio 20, and for pedals I have a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and an Ibanez Tube Screamer ts9.

OK, thanks.

As I said, I haven't tried your amp so you'd want to match the speaker to the amp's tone, but I wonder if a V30 might not be too modern-sounding for that (I know it's called the Vintage 30, but it's just badly-named- it's neither vintage-sounding nor 30 watts!).

When you say blues what type of blues do you mean?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I run a Few of the V 30's and Dave is correct, They're 60w and there's Nothing Vintage about them, Good bottom end, scooped mid's and high end like screaming banshees, In other words good metal or rock speakers, For what you have in mind I'm thinking a Tone Tubby Red Alnico or Purple haze , Down side is either one will cost as much or more than you spent on your amp, Up side is it should be quite some time before you think about buying another amp, And even when that time comes you take the Tubby out of it ,
For blues (clean or dirty) I vote for something alnico. They're usually absurdly expensive, but once you go alnico, you'll never look back.

Some alnicos can be relatively dark sounding, but that's not typical. The Celestion blue and golds are really chimey without being harsh. I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos comparing alnicos from various companies (although, nothing ever sounds like it does on youtube, but you'll get a general idea of the differences).

Of course, some may find them too bright (especially depending on the amp) but it's much less destructive to tone to cut highs than it is to add them (in my opinion).

I have alnico gold's in my mesa heartbreaker and I doubt I could be happier, but there is a premium on the Celestion name. If there would have been somewhere to listen to other brands I'm sure I could have found something roughly equivalent for less, but I have no where to go to try them where I live (can't afford to be buying speakers and paying return shipping to try new ones). They did drop about $200 in recent years though (in the US anyway).

Somebody mentioned Weber speakers, which are really good bang for the buck as far as I've been told. Warehouse speakers have a good reputation also, but they're not much less expensive than Celestions, and Scumback make some really good clones.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 13, 2016,
^ i dunno. i have alnico red fangs in my genz benz black pearl, and while they're the only alnicos I really have any experience with, i find them a bit niche- maybe that niche is exactly what he wants, but i generally find ceramics to be a good bit more versatile for most stuff and also loads cheaper too (for the most part).

Quote by nastytroll
I run a Few of the V 30's and Dave is correct, They're 60w and there's Nothing Vintage about them, Good bottom end, scooped mid's and high end like screaming banshees, In other words good metal or rock speakers, For what you have in mind I'm thinking a Tone Tubby Red Alnico or Purple haze , Down side is either one will cost as much or more than you spent on your amp, Up side is it should be quite some time before you think about buying another amp, And even when that time comes you take the Tubby out of it ,

i'd have said a v30 had a really tight bass, very prominent upper mids and a rolled-off top end. Almost like having a tubescreamer in speaker form.

and yeah i guess you could salvage the expensive speaker if you sold the amp, but there are plenty of more vintage-sounding speakers which are great speakers which are a similar price to V30s (if not even less), so you don't have to spend tons of money to get a much better speaker than the stock rocket and which sounds good for the tones he wants as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd narrow your choices down to a company or two and call them directly for some advice. In the US I'd look at WGS, Celestion, and Eminence. Granted that I don't play your type of music.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^ you don't even have to narrow it down, just email all of them

they'll only recommend their own product, but as long as you keep that in mind at least you'll have narrowed down what you should be looking at.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?