What makes a metal song good and what makes it a bad song, in your opinion?
Also, what makes a metal band good?
Last edited by lebawss at Dec 11, 2016,
What makes a song good in general? A hard question to answer. It basically comes down to the individual to find the things they like about particular songs, pick those things apart and try to figure out what's so interesting about it. It's much more realistic to look at actual songs than just say "metal song".

A good song is a song that you like, a bad song is one that you don't like.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 11, 2016,
Quote by The4thHorsemen

Yup.

To me, metal songs just need to have the right attitude. They shouldn't compromise in order the make the listening easier for the general audience. If a band wants to be heavy, they really need to be heavy. If a band wants to sound dark, they really need to sound dark and not just a bit moody. That's my 2c if it makes any sense.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Does it bring teh br00talz?

That's it right there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Breakdowns and downtuning. As low as you can.

But really, for me its about the right mix of br00talz and melodic parts. Very few bands have the perfect balance of those two for me. And there cant be to much repetition, if i wanted to hear the same chorus 4 times in a row, id listen to pop.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by The4thHorsemen

I completely disagree. Liking a song and that song being good are too different things. There are many bad songs that people like and many good songs that people don't like (both on a person-to-person basis or in general) and the two are fairly independent. Who doesn't like Wobble? But it's not a good song at all. Some bad songs are just catchy. Some good songs are just too moody or slow for anyone to like even though they are great.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The right elements!

I mean the perfect example is the first 3 Metallica albums with Cliff Burton.

Song arrangements, riffs, solos and lyrics + the musician levels and skills.

Does it fit between the 4 band members 100% or what to start with?

Metallica were so different to start with and they had the right combination of it all.

In metal the riff is the most important thing and the simple stuff is the most ear catching thing you can do. Listen to SOD speak English or die. That was Scott Ian being creative and as joke! he got creative then SOD together and 3 days in recording then 7 shows. But it was so good it took of a year later and a classic today.

Scott, Charlie, Danny and Billy were so in tune and into it.

Have you ever heard Walk by Pantera? Now it is the most simple riff but the finally got it.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Dec 12, 2016,
I can't comment on "Wobble" because I'm not familiar with what that is but let's face it we can't even agree on what constitutes "metal" let alone what makes it a good or bad metal song. A good song is a good song if you like it. If you don't, it is a bad song but I'm sure someone likes it and thinks it's a good song. to me metal is a style of playing not a style of song writing. A good song performed badly doesn't mean the song sucks it just means it was done badly. By the same token there are great performances of bad songs. As an example in another style Frank Sinatra singing "My Way" in my opinion is great singer singing a crappy song but a bad singer Sid Vicious singing that song..............Great.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 12, 2016,
If someone makes a "bad" catchy song, they've made something good - usually a hook (Dragostea din tei/Numa - dangit autocorrect), cleverness (The Fox), or just plain badness and marketing/memes (Friday). There may be other qualities that may be lacking; however, there is something in these specific songs that make them stick in our head.

There is something to like in all sorts of music. The goal of a composer/songwriter is to make a cohesive and coherent musical idea, and musical pieces are the result of many musical aspects coming together.
Quote by gorkyporky

But really, for me its about the right mix of br00talz and melodic parts. Very few bands have the perfect balance of those two for me. And there cant be to much repetition, if i wanted to hear the same chorus 4 times in a row, id listen to pop.

yeah pretty much. i know i was joking above, but that's about right.

i know it depends on the type of metal you like, but i remember reading a comment (i've most likely paraphrased this) by dave mustaine that "anyone can write a melodic song and anyone can write a heavy song, it's writing one which is both melodic and heavy which is the tricky thing."

obviously there's a bit of hyperbole in there (i'm not sure anyone can write a melodic or a heavy song, for example), but I know what he means, and I'd tend to agree (at least regarding metal). It's getting the mix right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do think bad songs exist, but they are not what you hear on the radio. Some people just write some riffs and put them together and call it a "song", even though the riffs may be in different tempos/keys and the transitions are terrible. That's something I would call a bad song.

Sure, songs like "Friday" are bad in a way, but I would call it "so bad that it's actually good". I guess it's also about the songwriter's/artist's intention. Then again, you can't really hear what the songwriter/artist intended when they wrote/recorded the song... Was "Friday" meant to be a joke song? I doubt it, but it certainly became one. In the end, does it really matter?

There's of course also being "stylistically correct". Sure, there are no rules in music, but if you do something totally unexpected in a song (that just doesn't fit the style you are playing at all), to most people that will just sound wrong. Of course doing something that's not typical to the style can many times also sound good. I think this kind of goes to the same category as just playing riffs after riffs that have no connection with each other.

But yeah, to me a good song is something that I just like listening to, and a bad song is something I don't like listening to (applies to all genres). I can't really point out to anything that would make me love/hate a song. It really depends on the context. Well, one thing that can make me hate a song is the singer's voice (but then again, that has nothing to do with the song itself being good or bad, it has more to do with the performance).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah pretty much. i know i was joking above, but that's about right.

i know it depends on the type of metal you like, but i remember reading a comment (i've most likely paraphrased this) by dave mustaine that "anyone can write a melodic song and anyone can write a heavy song, it's writing one which is both melodic and heavy which is the tricky thing."

obviously there's a bit of hyperbole in there (i'm not sure anyone can write a melodic or a heavy song, for example), but I know what he means, and I'd tend to agree (at least regarding metal). It's getting the mix right.

I find that "heavy" vocals over a melodic backing do it better for me, than pretty clean vocals over some brutal breakdown backing. So i guess its also about the feel of the song. The growling and screaming makes it pissed of and angry, but the melodic backing gives it some sort of context, instead of just being some kind of uncontrolable beast like cannibal corpse or something.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
^ yeah. i can't hack cookie monster the whole way through, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Much to the popular belief, Metal is a very diverse genre and good music comes in many forms (like in Rock). For example Black Metal and Doom Metal are focused on atmosphere and mood. Speed and brutality are important in Thrash Metal, Grindcore, and Death Metal (to an extent). Catchy melodies are good in Power Metal and Melodeath. Death Metal (especially Tech-Death) and Progressive Metal tend to be very technical and complex. It depends on the sub-genre.

All these styles depend on a good guitar part though. That's one of the reasons Iron Maiden is so great (they have amazing harmonies). Also Theogonia777 definitely posted a good metal song.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Quote by RonaldPoe
All these styles depend on a good guitar part though.

Not true. A large amount of folk metal of long ballads or instrumental pieces where the keyboard or "folk instrument" is the primary instrument and the guitar takes a minor role playing a simple power chord backing. The guitar is still important, but it's certainly not good or particularly interesting guitar parts. Occasionally the power chords will move along with the melody but ultimately there are just there sonically to fill in the the lower mids and aesthetically for the sound of distorted guitar. You can also find a similar thing in a lot of funeral doom, "symphonic" metal, etc by bands both good and bad.

Like the guitar comes in at 50 seconds in and for like a minute drones on an E power chord. About as simple as you could get with the guitar.
[QUOTE

have to disagree a good song is a good song regardless of people liking it or not, same for bad songs.
I do not like the beatles, nor do I have them on my mp3, but they wrote very good songs
if a friend of mine told me he liked the beatles I probably wouldn't kick him in the face
if he told me he liked "friday" I probably would