I was always afraid to try this pickup based on the tone guide I've seen on it, and many people saying its muddy . I recently got a Synyster Gates special with Duncan invaders stock . They sound really big and crunchy and not muddy . I'm using the guitar through a peavey xxx. The sound is just huge . Perfect for metal and rock like Avenged sevenfold, Metallica , lamb of god ...

They have a ton of gain and bass , and eq'd wrong then can probably sound horrible . With these pickups I find raising the treble , lowering the gain , and keeping the bass and middle balanced on your amp makes the pickup a really brutal and great rock pickup
i think you've possibly hit on the problem there (and not just with the invader, with a lot of gear)- if people don't like it in the shop (where you can't do the tweaking you suggested) they're not going to buy it, and will think it sucks. on the other hand you can't really expect people to buy stuff that they dislike in case it can be made good with tweaking, either, so I dunno what the answer is

EDIT: like dspellman i didn't much like the one i tried but i only tried it in a shop so couldn't do any tweaking...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're looking for an echo chamber regarding the Duncan Invader you've come to the wrong place.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The Invader has been around for decades. Therefore; enough people must like the thing for Seymour Duncan to keep making it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I had one on an Aria Pro II ZZ Deluxe guitar I had years ago, honestly I though it was a decent pickup though I was playing through a S.S. Peavey 2X12 open back combo and whatever distrotion pedal I had trying to get a good metal tone. The pickup was powerful I don't recall it being really muddy though during that priod I had tried other pickups as well and the Invader was not better than the rest, I had DiMarzio Tone Zone , X2N , SD Screamin Demon and a few other I can't rememeber.

Trying all of these pickups on a Peavey Solid State amp (Renown 400) was not giving me an very good feel of what these pickups could do as this was by far not a great amp for metal.

I can't really bash the Invader as it served it's purpose at the time but without having heard it on a great tube amp I can't really praise it either.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 12, 2016,
These pickups always generate a ton of passionate reactions pro and con. There seems to be no in-between. They are very specific pickups for a very specific sound, though.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
FatalGear41 that's what I'm thinking but I don't think I've ever read a review online where people say they like it , so I'm looking to see if there's any love for it ? But I guess not lol .
All that matters is that you like the sound of it. . . . You're playing aggressive music on an aggressive amp with an aggressive pickup -
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
When I was a kid in the 80s the only aftermarket pickup anyone ever talked about was the Invader, because it had cool adverts in guitar magazines and it had those wicked brutal pole pieces so it had to be amazing, right?

To be honest I don't think that hype has ever really gone away, and I think a lot of younger guitarists simply get swept up in the marketing...back then it wasn't like many people were actually going to hear how it sounded.

I have to admit I wasn't impressed at all when I finally got to hear what it sounded like. Ive never played one, but then again Duncan sound samples and other demos I've heard we're enough to stop me from really wanting to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think one of the guitarists in my bands uses one, they're solid. Not my sound, but it fits what we do really well.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Invader?

better than dimarzio's X2N though. haha. those fuckers are useless.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Invader?

better than dimarzio's X2N though. haha. those fuckers are useless.

LOL back when I was about 19 I had a Pink X2N in a black JB Player strat copy with a green pickgaurd trying to summon the Steve Vai mojo needless to say it didn't work the X2N sucked.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

For a XXX I can imagine it works well. That amp is fairly bright. I think part of the problem is that people play the Invader into metal-oriented amps often, and the pickup is already super juiced. It's just too much.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I've never tried an Invader, but between the horror stories I've heard of muddy tone with them, along with my own similar experiences with very hot passive pickups, I have quite a bit of trepidation towards trying one.

I think they're just marketed well to the metal crowd. But as a guitarist who mainly plays metal, I just think uber-hot passive pickups seem like overkill, especially with today's high gain amps. I like medium output pickups for high gain tones - A little more drive and tightness than an A2 PAF, but you still retain clarity and note definition.

Different strokes for different folks, though! I suppose it's a solid choice if you only need fully saturated high gain tones, and put it in the right guitar.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Dec 16, 2016,
I have a sinister gate/Invader in a guitar G&L Fallout paired with a P90 ..... came factory with a TB4 (JB) and was not my favorite pick up until I heard it in the mix , loved it from then on but it gets weak in the drop C stuff and liked the tone cut in half , opposite of the P90 ...... called SD and they recommended the Invader , slightly deeper ( now leave tone turned up and matches the P90 ), little hotter so you have to pick soft for clean or roll volume down a touch ..... cuts through the mix in my band situation , I likey