I have a blackstar fly. I want to add an od pedal to get to the gain territory for metal....what are your recommendations? Also looking to get an eq pedal...does fish and chips do the job? ids the behringer eq pedal decent? or should i just suck it up and get an mxr?
Quote by jamesdolecek
I have a blackstar fly. I want to add an od pedal to get to the gain territory for metal....what are your recommendations? Also looking to get an eq pedal...does fish and chips do the job? ids the behringer eq pedal decent? or should i just suck it up and get an mxr?
To be honest friend, you are not going to get much of a "proper" metal sound out of the Blackstar Fly. Often cheap SS amps will generally not take drive pedals well- the Fly may be an exception but I would suggest to start putting money into a more reasonable amp, if the Fly is all you have.
No experience with the Fly or Fish N' Chips but the MXR 10-Band EQ has two sliders that may help - a gain that boosts/cuts the signal before the EQ sliders and a Volume that boosts/cuts the signal after the EQ sliders.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have the Fly and haven't found any great tones using pedals. It gets all jumbled up once you start adding more pedals to it, fuzzy and terrible IMO. I haven't tried a EQ thru it but I have tried multiple ODs and distortion pedals.

I'm a bit disappointment in the fly's high gain sounds, but it does serve a good purpose for me. I can take it when I travel, hook up my phone to it and jam to backing tracks. So for that purpose it's great.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H