I'm currently in the process of buying my first tube head. I'll be going from a solid state Orange CR120 to a tubed up Electro Harmonix MIG50. I like to go from a nice clean to kicking in my fuzz pedal on and off during songs. My main concern is the following: Will 50w be enough room for me to have a good clean tone in a live setting with a band while still cutting in well? A lot of our gigs do not mic up our cabinets. I am also the only guitarist (sans the bass guitar). I'm just worried that I won't have enough clean headroom and enough volume overall with and without my fuzz. Again, this is my first tube amp, so forgive any dumb questions. Thanks!
Probably not...from what I remember that amp didn't really have a clean setting, it was always breaking up a little. Good sounding amp, just not what I'd consider clean.

You could possibly get that headroom with a Fender 60 watt amp, Blues Deville perhaps.
I have a 40w fender hot rod deluxe 2. It does have enough clean headroom for gigs. It depends on the amp and how it is designed. Fenders tend to be voiced quite clean. Other amps may be designed to break up quite easy.
I don't have any experience with that amp so I can't comment directly, some factors to consider - what type of music are you playing, how 'loud' is your band, what speakers are you running in your cab - a high efficiency speaker could make the difference in volume that you need. I would assume that at 50W you are going to have some breakup in your signal once you get to 2/3 or 3/4 volume. I have used 50W tube amp for clean and had no issues but it was what I would consider a low to mid volume band situation.
guitarsngear We play Alternative rock music. The band is pretty loud. The cab is a Mesa 4x12 with Vintage 30s. Of course, the clean parts are never as loud as the heavy parts.
i assume you mean Sovtek MIG 50? i have one and it is really loud, but it breaks up when you turn it up. i actually like it a lot. i don't really use it a ton though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
diabolical the closet thing to a 2 channel plexi is probably the vintage modern head. which is still one channel head.

maybe a 50 watt dsl head? i've never used the MIG50 head to comment on it.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 15, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
diabolical the closet thing to a 2 channel plexi is probably the vintage modern head. which is still one channel head.

maybe a 50 watt dsl head? i've never used the MIG50 head to comment on it.

i really really wanted to like the VM, but it didn't do it for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i really really wanted to like the VM, but it didn't do it for me.

really? i liked that head. i still want one, someday.
Quote by gregs1020
really? i liked that head. i still want one, someday.

when i had some cash in my pocket i went into GC planning to buy a used one in the store (thinking i would like it), i plug it in and dial away and try out a bunch of guitars. then i went home bummed that i thought it would be better.

the next day i went back thinking i must have been missing something obvious, tried it. went home with cash in pocket.

(IIRC i went on reverb right after and bought my RIvera and its totally different but i love the damn thing)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yeah that's cool. different strokes etc. i always say i'm glad we don't all like the same things, life would be boring.

Riveras are great amps and you like yours so win win. i "could" have bought a VM when i grabbed the vibroverb ri, but I didn't.
Quote by gregs1020
yeah that's cool. different strokes etc. i always say i'm glad we don't all like the same things, life would be boring.

Riveras are great amps and you like yours so win win. i "could" have bought a VM when i grabbed the vibroverb ri, but I didn't.

good move in my book... lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
dustin.schumach

1) I havd a 30 watt mesa and i have enough clean headroom - it depends on the amp, not the wattage.

2) it's a common mistake to assume "clean" needs to be actually clean - the best clean tones are actually quite driven in most cases, which is why solid state amps sound generally terrible and a cranked tube amp is what you hear on albums - it really does depend on what you're looking for, but don't be afraid of a bit of grit in your clean tones- it helps them cut through.
my little Carvin V3m 50 watt has a good loud clean that can keep up with the dirty channels no problem , has no trouble power my Mesa 4x12 , it's a great little amp when I don't want to carry my 100 watt dual recto ..... haven't played that model at 50 watts but my V3m is fine un-mich'd live with 50 watt
Quote by diabolical
gregs1020 they still make the Plexi last I checked, even have a PTP version which would be my choice, but it isn't cheap.
If you want crazy good clean I can't recommend Matchless Chieftain enough.

my point was that plexis are just one channel, but yeah they're headroom vvhores.
if you want headroom, look in to music man. they are cheap and clean forever. I have the hd130 and the rd100, you will be deaf prior to overdriving the power amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Never ran out of clean HR with my 30w Mesa. Loud as hell. I am playing clubs, not arenas so size of the room does matter if you are going sans mic. Most larger stages require guitar amps to be mic'd these days as they want to keep stage volume lower and project everything through the line array.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY