So, I just got a used SG. It looks and plays beautifully. Incredible.

Anyway, I'm actually happy with the current sound, so pickup change is not necessary tho I'm planning to buy a JB when I got the money.

I can't find a good clean demo of a JB on youtube so I can't exactly tell what frequency it focuses on so I can EQ my guitar before it hits the amp.

The demo on the official site is good but it sounds fake xD something like a Guitar Pro sound hahaha.

I use Amplitube and it really works for me. I bypass the cab and connect it to the FX Return of my Laney Cab. Sounds cool. My Laney is a hybrid amp btw, but I like the sound of different amps on different styles/songs so that speaks for my reason why I use Amplitube. And yes, it sounds realistic.

So again, my main concern for this thread: How do I emulate JB sound? Not exactly of course but near. Either via EQ (again what frequency) or pedal. Oh, and I'm aware of EQ vs new pup.
Last edited by xxRock_Onxx at Dec 13, 2016,
Trying to make your current pickup sound like a JB? If you are attempting to get your current pickup to sound like a JB to see if you like the sound and want too purchase one it's not going to work IMO. Seems you are overthing it if you are not satisfied with online demos go to your local music store and test drive a JB equipped guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

^ yeah trying one will help

but boosting the high mids and adding a bit of compression will get you closer i think
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evilnine
Trying to make your current pickup sound like a JB? If you are attempting to get your current pickup to sound like a JB to see if you like the sound and want too purchase one it's not going to work IMO. Seems you are overthing it if you are not satisfied with online demos go to your local music store and test drive a JB equipped guitar.

Again not really. I just like the way it sounds on dirt settings. My current pickup is good already and I'm fine with THO I'm planning also to buy a real JB when I got the money. And we DON'T have any shops here selling SD pups or guitar that has one. We always buy online.

I'll try what Dave_Mc says. But I was kinda expecting a frequency to be boosted :\

What I like to copy on JB's sound when it's on dirt is, that sound that's like poking/piercing your ears.
Sweet, kinda solved it not exactly but I got the "Poking" frequency yey!

- Used an EQ as the first effects in Amplitube. Boosted/Cutted stuffs a little for like 1-3dB.
- Used T-Rex MudHoney for higher-mid harmonics/overtones and somewhat clean boost.

That's it. Wow. Never thought that would be easy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
^ nice

haha good luck expecting me to tell you the exact frequency range to boost, that's way above my pay grade. I just know it's the upper mids

the mudhoney's more or less a rat, isn't it? that might well explain why it's helping since its tone is (very roughly) along the same lines I would say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

I don't know as I'm not really a RAT user. I just searched upon reading that, and I think it is.
Anyway, got a usable tone that I wanted though it's not enough. But not bad either.

I was just actually trying to use every pedal I have on Amplitube and MudHoney caught my attention.

Haven't tried your suggestion about compression btw. Any reason? Distortion would compress the sound already. And if used it as a "boost" I'd just use the MudHoney instead.
just the jb sounds pretty compressed. if you're getting a lot of compression already because of using distortion then you're right, there's no need to add separate compression.

EDIT: using a tubescreamer as a boost if you have it on amplitube might be worth a try as well- it's pretty compressed, boosts the mids etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yep, it's part of my recipe. I never use amps alone. I always push almost every amps with a TS.

EQ -> MudHoney -> TS -> Dual Rec
Why is it so important to get the JB sound? I think there is a lot more tone in your fingers and the PAF pickups in your guitar are actually more sought after.
I am thinking your amp is probably what needs an upgrade as it doesn't seem tactile enough...but we don't have much data to go on.
Quote by diabolical
Why is it so important to get the JB sound? I think there is a lot more tone in your fingers and the PAF pickups in your guitar are actually more sought after.
I am thinking your amp is probably what needs an upgrade as it doesn't seem tactile enough...but we don't have much data to go on.

Err, cause I like JB's sound? That piercing sound when distorted?

Actually, I'm new to Humbuckers and JB is the only pickup I wanted when I was still on a Singles but.. whatevs.

So I'm not actually sure if PAF's are really that cool (Got intrigued when you said it's more sought after). I'll look more into that.

But for now, I want that piercing/pokey sound and I kinda got it a bit.

My current one is very good at crunch and clean. A bit of Love/Hate cause I want the JB sound when distorted and when doing some leads but at the same time keep my current pickup.
Last edited by xxRock_Onxx at Dec 15, 2016,
pafs are normally a good bit lower output than a jb. it just depends on which you prefer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?