Hi everyone. So I've had this guitar for about 8 years now and I'm having big problems with the tremolo. It's muting the strings, it's rusty and the guitar really has no sustain anymore. I've been thinking about replacing it but can't find a replacement anywhere, I talked to Yamaha and they said they don't make them anymore. What are my options here? My guitar tec said that he could drill some holes and try putting in a Floyd Rose but I'm not really sure if it would work.
Any recommendations on what to do here?

Thanks

Pics:

https://s30.postimg.org/t0tfzbq69/15555442_1284408948299510_533820861_o.jpg

https://s30.postimg.org/5y2x05oox/15540301_1284408898299515_1933695944_o.jpg
That's a very bizarre design of Floyd bridge, it does not surprise me at all that Yamaha would stop making it and no simple bridge replacements are available.

Just block the Floyd if you don't want to spend any money. But if you want a working Floyd, then it looks like doing structural modifications to retrofit an entirely new bridge would be the only option.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
That is a unique trem for sure, I like the idea of the lever string locks. If the tech is competant then putting a replacement trem will work how much alteration/routing will be necessary may drive the cost up to the point that it is not worth the investment. Just buying an OFR itself is going to cost $200 or more.

More expensive but less modification required you may want to look into a Kahler system they are quite nice a different feel than Floyd but a good system none the less.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine How about a 2 point strat tremolo or something like that? Could that work? I've googled some WILKINSON 2 point trems, the mounting screws are placed quite similar to the yamaha..
Last edited by vanleonson at Dec 13, 2016,
Quote by vanleonson
Evilnine How about a 2 point strat tremolo or something like that? Could that work?

Possibly depending on the distance between the studs, that may be a good option even if the studs have to be moved, not the best cosmetic option as the original stud hole should really be filled with a dowel and some glue but if the tech does a clean job it wouldn't look too bad the trem should may partially cover it.

Has your tech checked to dee if the studs are spaced differenly from a Floyd?, if not you could get the schematic from the FR website and measure it yourself.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by vanleonson
Evilnine How about a 2 point strat tremolo or something like that? Could that work? I've googled some WILKINSON 2 point trems, the mounting screws are placed quite similar to the yamaha..

the problem is the locking nut

it might not be worth the cost... might be cheaper to just buy another guitar...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

it might not be worth the cost... might be cheaper to just buy another guitar...

Damn, you're right. Totally forgot about that
Last edited by vanleonson at Dec 14, 2016,
haha no worries, i forget about stuff all the time
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Ok, so basically I'm looking for a locking tremolo with a 2 7/32 inch (56,8cm) screw spread. So far the closest thing I was able to find was a Kahler 2520 and 2700 but even those have a 2 3/16 spacing
i think the gotoh has one of the knife edges flat so the spacing of the studs isn't so critical. if that's what you mean by screw spread.

http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/ge1996t.html

there are diagrams there to check the other measurements
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?