Sooo I'm not sure whether to get an Epiphone SG Special, a Jackson JS22, or an Ibanez GRGA120.

My favorite band is my morning jacket & I wanna be able to play as many songs they have as possible. Would love any suggestions.
Quote by Braves94
Sooo I'm not sure whether to get an Epiphone SG Special, a Jackson JS22, or an Ibanez GRGA120.

My favorite band is my morning jacket & I wanna be able to play as many songs they have as possible. Would love any suggestions.

Non of the above.

Budget?
Location?
What is your rig?
Are you willing to buy used?

If there is a second hand music gear market near you? Save up another $100-$150 and grab a used MIJ Jackson DKMG, Ibanez RG, or a Schecter or LTD you will get more guitar for the same price as any of these cheap new ones. Check out Reverb if you are in the U.S.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Braves94 I'd go with the Ibanez GRGA120. Rather than going with a used instrument, I prefer to own a lower quality rig new as I am picky about who touches my guitars. That said, you probably won't stay with it long. After a year or so, with dedicated work, you'll likely move on to something else as your skill improves. If you're brand new to playing, find the one you like the best in your price range and buy it. If you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone esle says. Guitars are a journey not a destination.

JM
Quote by Evilnine
Non of the above.

Budget?
Location?
What is your rig?
Are you willing to buy used?

If there is a second hand music gear market near you? Save up another $100-$150 and grab a used MIJ Jackson DKMG, Ibanez RG, or a Schecter or LTD you will get more guitar for the same price as any of these cheap new ones. Check out Reverb if you are in the U.S.

this.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by JeffMoore
Braves94 I'd go with the Ibanez GRGA120. Rather than going with a used instrument, I prefer to own a lower quality rig new as I am picky about who touches my guitars. That said, you probably won't stay with it long. After a year or so, with dedicated work, you'll likely move on to something else as your skill improves. If you're brand new to playing, find the one you like the best in your price range and buy it. If you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone esle says. Guitars are a journey not a destination.

JM

This advice makes no sense to me why buy a cheap entry level guitar just to turn around and have to by another better model when you outgrow it?

I paid $300 for a used nearly mint condition MIJ Jackson DKMG it listed new for close to $800 in '06 and it is ten times the guitar as the two mentioned by the OP, for $350 I bought a used 1989 Charvel again in near mint condition it listed for $850 new in '89 so adjust for inflation and in today's market a guitar of that quality would likely list for $1200-$1500 and they are out there available for not much more than a new entry level guitar that will not even come close in fit/finish build quality or playability not to mention the quality of the electronics and hardware.

Everyone has their preference but purchasing used music gear is never bad advice that is why the used option is so highly recommened here on UG.

Here is a great article on the benefits of purchasing used music gear.

https://reverb.com/news/10-reasons-you-should-buy-used-music-gear
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

out of what you have listed the Jackson - BUT - as stated if you use your money in the used market you will likely be able to find a much better guitar for the same money.
Quote by Evilnine
This advice makes no sense to me why buy a cheap entry level guitar just to turn around and have to by another better model when you outgrow it?

Since my style changes over time, so do my instruments. In fact, while I love my instruments, I change them regularly as my styles and taste changes--and I only buy new instruments as I view them as personal extensions of music and I want it new out of the box. I pick the instrument that inspires me at the time and if it is a cheap guitar, that's the one I want. My first one wasn't cheap, but I picked it because I liked the looks and it inspired me. I have a $99 squire that I use regularly as it 'feels' better for some pieces than a $1500 schecter or $1200 ibanez. I know it goes against some advice, but I always tell students to pick whatever they can afford and what will keep them excited about playing. My wife tells me I'm not very utilitarian, and I agree.

JM
I'd rather keep my hands off of cheap epiphones. Jackson and Ibanez are both good choices, even in that price range, can't argue with any of those. But as already stressed before: What is your budged? Are you willing to buy second-hand? Where do you live (market availabilty)? What is the rest of your rig? Now just to trow in another opinion about buying used vs buying second hand: When I started playing gutiar, I got my first git for christmas 2010. It was a 100 € set including a guitar, replacement strings, guitar stand and an amplifier. A cheap stratocaster immitation with 3 single coil pickups. It was crap. But it was cheap and I learned the basics on it and still have it (modified that is, but still). In my opinion, there's no use getting an expensive gutiar right away. At worst, you won't even be able to appreciate it because you have no comparison. You don't even know what you want. Get any cheap one that's available to you. No matter whether brand new or second hand. Play on it for a year or so and then you'll know what you like and what you don't, and most importantly what you want in your future guitar. Then go to your local guitar shop. Try one or the other and find out what specs exactly you want (i.e. tremolo yes/no, scale, pickup configuration). I can guarantee you there's probably not a single guitar player that still regularly plays on their first guitar ever. It's the same with cars. You don't get your dream car first. You get a crappy suzuki or renault ony of the kind.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
It's a good idea to try out different models. They have their own nut width, fretboard radius, neck profile, etc. You pick the one that your hand's in love with.

Everyone has their favorites and recommends them but they're what fits them not you.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I'm with Evilnine's comments in this.

Don't be afraid to buy used, but get the best guitar you can for the buck. It is, after all, the instrument you actually play. After that, amps may change your sound or make it louder, etc., but it's still just amplifying your hands on your guitar. This is not where you want to cheap out if you're just starting.
Nothing wrong with used.I've going to the same second hand guitar shop since i started playing 23 years ago.Nothing beats going in and trying the different guitars out and you never know what they'll have week to week.You might find something great that wasn't even on your radar.